Post 2013 Lockout Forward Tournament: Kirril Kaprizov Versus Mikko Rantanen

Which Player Would You Rather Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Since the players involved are at different stages of their careers, the best way to vote is probably by answering this question: If I was a General Manager and I could draft one player for my team (having the knowledge that I have about each player at this point in time), which player would I choose?

Some are more accomplished than others and some have been more injury-prone than others, but under different circumstances, how different could things have been?

Tier 1, Round 1:

Connor McDavid (52 votes to 4 - 92.9%)
Connor Bedard

Nathan MacKinnon (25 votes to 21 - 54.3%
Nikita Kucherov

Auston Matthews (62 votes to 33 - 65.3%)
Leon Draisaitl

Elias Pettersson (32 votes to 27 - 54.2%)
Jack Hughes

Jack Eichel
Aleksander Barkov

Kirril Kaprizov
Mikko Rantanen

David Pastrnak
Artemi Panarin

Mitch Marner
Brayden Point

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Oooof this is a good one.

Rantanen for me but it’s exceptionally close, Kaprizov is a phenomenal player.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Kaprizov. Driving force behind the Wild's entire offence. He's got no MacKinnon or Makar to prop up his numbers, yet still got the highest scoring season between the two. He's just propping up everyone else's numbers instead.

Reactions: MuckOG

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Going with Kaprizov. He's driving the entire Wild team and managed to hit 108 pts mostly playing with Hartman and Zuccarello. I doubt Rantanen hit 100 without Mackinnon IMO.

Reactions: MuckOG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Rantanen.

Simply put, much bigger track record. They're born a few months apart and Rantanen has ~300 more games and ~300 more career points. He's also been fantastic in the playoffs, whereas Kaprizov has not really.

Unless we are told in a redraft Kaprizov definitely plays in the NHL at 18 yrs old, there's no reason to pick him here. And even if we are told that, it's quite close and I quite like Rantanen's playoff record

Reactions: wetcoast

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
kaprizov might be slightly more talented but rantanens playoff record speaks for itself, hes a big game player. id take rantanen.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kaprizov has the 2nd best PPG of all the other players selected in the loaded 2015 draft, behind only McDavid. Better than Marner, Eichel, Aho, Connor and yes, Rantanen....while not playing with guys like MacKinnon and Makar.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Kaprizov. Driving force behind the Wild's entire offence. He's got no MacKinnon or Makar to prop up his numbers, yet still got the highest scoring season between the two. He's just propping up everyone else's numbers instead.
MacKinnon's production was poor prior to Rantanen and they were producing well before Makar.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rantanen.

Simply put, much bigger track record. They're born a few months apart and Rantanen has ~300 more games and ~300 more career points. He's also been fantastic in the playoffs, whereas Kaprizov has not really.

Unless we are told in a redraft Kaprizov definitely plays in the NHL at 18 yrs old, there's no reason to pick him here. And even if we are told that, it's quite close and I quite like Rantanen's playoff record
The thing is that Rantanen destroyed the AHL in his D+1 draft and played quite well in the NHL as a rookie at age.

Does Kaprizov adept to the NA game as quickly if he comes over right away, hard to say and evenso Rantanten has the proven track record and this Mack this Makar that really overlooks how good Mikko has been.

He led the SC Avs in forward scoring and has the much better overall playoff resume as well.

The guy is getting underrated around here.

Kaprizov is a very exciting player but Mikko has been money and I go with the proven guy longer track record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad