Possible solution to the playoff cap circumvention

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
Would like to see what others think

you cant simply turn the cap on in the playoffs, as this affects guys coming back from ltir and, ultimately, would cause less trades and general player movement (which isnt good gmfor the league)

So what if you instill a 'taxi squad' and on-ice caphit for the playoffs? Lets use Tampa for an example

Reg season Cap hit of 81.5, so the on-ice caphit is the same. Kucherov is ready to come back and so Tampa Bay 'taxi squads' Johnson and whatever else necessary to get under the cap figure. This doesnt include the AHL.

This works in the sense that teams still cant load up and just 'taxi squad' extra bodies for rest, as theyd have to meet The trade deadline cap ceiling in the first place. So its strictly a move to prevent LTIR from causing such a disturbance again

What are the general publics thoughts? Not a very complicated idea but Im sure theres something Im missing; otherwise the NHL would have a solution to this already (though maybe there never was a need for one)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its simple. Any player on LTIR after the last game of the regular is ineligible for the playoffs. The NFL is harsher. If you go on injured reserve you are out for the season. In this case a player on LTIR must be on the 23 man roster for the last game of the season.

As the trade deadline has passed the team to make room under the cap may deactivate a player who is no longer eligible for the playoffs

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Its simple. Any player on LTIR after the last game of the regular is ineligible for the playoffs. The NFL is harsher. If you go on injured reserve you are out for the season. In this case a player on LTIR must be on the 23 man roster for the last game of the season.

As the trade deadline has passed the team to make room under the cap may deactivate a player who is no longer eligible for the playoffs
Lou Lamoriello and Don Waddell would be the first guys to shoot this down as insane.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

You're going to have to fight the Players' Association on that. You ready for another Lockout?

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I think the policy change would include some wiggle room. For example, you are allowed to go up to $500k or $1million over the cap after the regular season has ended, something like that. The vet minimum is about $800k, so the chances of sneaking a major impact player or star through ala Tampa has is slim with those numbers.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

So theoretically, couldn't Tampa just have Kucherov out for the season. Let him play the finale. And he's good to go for the postseason?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
So theoretically, couldn't Tampa just have Kucherov out for the season. Let him play the finale. And he's good to go for the postseason?

Even if he was still hurt, you'd dress him on the bench for the last game just so when he was healthy he could return

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
You're going to have to fight the Players' Association on that. You ready for another Lockout?

I would happily have another lockout to get rid of this stupidity with the cap because right now the cap is actually kind of pointless.

I would also support other measures such as independent medical examinations prior to the playoffs and scaling cap hits for each round. Either way, the current system cannot continue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Correct. He wouldnt even have to play. An injured player not ready to play wouldnt need to. Would just have to be activated. Its the player deactivated to make room that cant play in the playoffs

Reactions: Name Nameless

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I would happily have another lockout to get rid of this stupidity with the cap because right now the cap is actually kind of pointless.

I would also support other measures such as independent medical examinations prior to the playoffs and scaling cap hits for each round. Either way, the current system cannot continue.

I like this too.

Kucherov has been on LTIR all season. The league's independent Dr. Observes him consistently. Dr clears Kucherov to play in February.

Team says Kucherov isn't ready? That's fine. But it does mean he's now ineligible for the playoffs.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Yeah that's what it comes down to. Fans who are mad about Tampa's superteam that they built organically would rather have no NHL season at all. Basically a "take my ball and go home" mentality.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Correct. He wouldnt even have to play. An injured player not ready to play wouldnt need to. Would just have to be activated. Its the player deactivated to make room that cant play in the playoffs

Still kind of a loophole though
TB could just deactivate a 4th line scrub or Luke Schenn.

Teams will find a way around it.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
Hey guys! What about my idea? Lol

Problem with players being ineligible for the playoffs, if hurt, is the players association wouldnt have it; when guys get hurt the first thing they ask is 'can I be ready for the playoffs?'

its an integral part of the game of hockey at this point IMO

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The reason players cap hits are removed from the Salary Cap is because while on LTIR, they aren't paid a salary by the team. Insurance will cover it. That's why if a player is hurt, and aren't on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the cap. Well in the case of insured contracts. Players also aren't paid a salary in the playoffs.

Also removing the use of LTIR or having a "playoff cap", means you would constantly have a problem with being able to call up players. It would become almost impossible. In the playoffs, the games are ramped up 100x and injuries are way more common in the playoffs than they are in the regular season.

No GM or Player would agree to adding any provision of a minimum amount of games played to be available for the playoffs. If it was ever truly a problem, they would have addressed it during the multiple CBA agreements since the lockout.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

apt username

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
The reason players cap hits are removed from the Salary Cap is because while on LTIR, they aren't paid a salary by the team. Insurance will cover it. That's why if a player is hurt, and aren't on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the cap. Well in the case of insured contracts. Players also aren't paid a salary in the playoffs.

Also removing the use of LTIR or having a "playoff cap", means you would constantly have a problem with being able to call up players. It would become almost impossible. In the playoffs, the games are ramped up 100x and injuries are way more common in the playoffs than they are in the regular season.

No GM or Player would agree to adding any provision of a minimum amount of games played to be available for the playoffs. If it was ever truly a problem, they would have addressed it during the multiple CBA agreements since the lockout.
It would seem as if you would somewhat like my idea then of having a 'taxi squad' for callups and placement for extra cap due to LTIR

no player is ineligible for the playoffs but, in order to get down to the 81.5 or whatever cap number it is (on-ice only), youd need to utilize the taxi squad. So kucherov goes in and Johnson and Gourde come off (just as an example)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

How would Tampa get under the cap in order to activate him? They'd need to LTIR players (with valid reason) to offset his cap hit and then they'd lose those players for the playoffs.

edit: I see someone else already answered you

Reactions: Pink Mist

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
The answer is very simple. Just have the 20 man roster for each playoff game be cap compliant by AAV.
While thats half of my premise, the other half is vital and not as simple

you need a way for players to come off LTIR or callups to be made during the playoffs. This is where my 'taxi squad' comes into play, as you can place anyone on it and their caphit comes off the 20man roster

itd also be hard to abuse other than trading for LTIR caphits before the deadline and then hoping they get healthy during the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad