Great Britain: Possible GB Squad?

blair3

Oct 6, 2009
It can't be long now until Pete Russell names the long list for the GB World Championship team. Last year 35 players were names in the long list so I though I would have a go at naming who might be on that list.

Goalies

Bowns
Murphy (if fit)
Murdy - I rate Mike Will but I cannot put him in the squad having had such little ice time this year. From what I have seen in the EPL Murdy has been the best goalie this year, apart from Lyle who has retired from GB.
Kowalski - if Murphy is not fit I would want an experienced netminder to join Bowns, an EPL goalie would have to prove himself in the warm up games as I wouldn't take an untested back up in case Bowns gets hurt or loses form.

Defence

O'Connor
D. Phillips
Richardson
Batch - heard good things about him this season
McCluskey, Swindlehurst, Griffin - not sure how they have been doing this season, I would guess not as well as last.
Meyers - for experience but will need to see how good he is after a year in a lower league.
Weaver - I would consider him as a possible 7th defenceman maybe just to play on the power play?
David Clements - for experience, I know he is highly rated and was defenceman of the year for his Junior A League last year. Think it would be useful to see him up against the established players, one for the future.

Forwards

Dowd
Shields
Peacock
B, Davies
Garside
J. Phillips
Myers
Farmer
Lachowicz
Boxill - only heard good things about him, especially on the penalty kill
Towe - don't know why he didn't make the team last year needs to be considered again
T. Duggan - one of my favorite EPL players, I really rate him and worth a look against the Elite players
Nell - with Clarke injured he is a goal scorer and is a forward who plays on the point on the power play, can't think of many others.
Miller - played on a line with two imports who would be on the top line of a number of Elite teams and more than contributed, again worth a look up against the Elite players.
Blight - yes I know he is a dual national but he has shown a genuine interest in playing for GB over the last few years and a set up guy who the team misses.

Four from overseas

Stewart - top six point scorer for his WHL team, has played for the juniors and his team look like they will miss the playoffs.
Conway - I understand he would consider a call up, major issue is will he be available with possibly playing in the Playoffs, doing well in NCAA.
J. Lewis - regular scorer in Germany, the team is short on scorers so I hope he is invited to the warm up camp.
Prince - has played in the NCAA for a number of years and certainly worth a look.
Hook, Cownie - two for the future good to see how they would match up against the senior players, unlikely to make the full squad but hope they make the camp.

Two doubtful long shots

Silverthorn - scored goals for fun in the EPL but a dual national
Brett Perlini - he is not going to play for Canada so why not try and get him for GB? Whether he wants to is one thing and also likely to be unavavailable because of ECHL playoffs.

Please note

Before anybody says I haven't included Lee, M. Davies and Clarke due to the fact they will probably be out injured.

Notable omissions

Due to age and or reduced role for their Elite teams Tait, Hill, Hewitt, K. Phillips
Also Braehead, look like winning the league but only one player selected, not sure how fit Haywood or Esders are.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Going after stats:

robert farmer - colin shields - craig peacock
david clarke - matthew davies - robert dowd
robert lachowicz - matthew myers - ashley tait
scott conway - liam stewart - jack prince

ben o'connor - mark richardson
david phillips - russell cowley
stephen lee - josh batch