Possible Division Realignment?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

Though this deserved its own thread. Oilers and Flames moving to Central Division and Avs move to Pacific Division.. Yay or nay??

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Yay:

- McDavid and Bedard in same division
- less Nucklehead fans in our life

Nay:

- having said that.. I like the rivalry we have with the Canucks.. and the rivalries we've created with Vegas and LA. Would be kind of a shame to leave that

Last edited:
Reactions: Stud Muffin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like it. The Oilers lose the Canucks but gain the Jets

But really, does it matter much? It's not like teams play divisional opponents as much as they did in the past.

The big effect will be playoffs. If it means getting a change, that will be awesome, instead of playing LA and Vegas all the time

Reactions: Giggleplex

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
NHL-2028

Pacific. Midwest. East Atlantic

Van. Edm. Mtl. Was
Sea. Cal. Tor. Nyr
SJS Dal. Ott. Nyi
Lak. Wpg. Det. Njd
Ana. Min. Buf. Fla
Vgk. Stl. Cbj. Tbl
Col. Chi. Bos. Car
Uta Hou. Phl Nas
Phx KC. Pit. Atl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I like it. The Oilers lose the Canucks but gain the Jets

But really, does it matter much? It's not like teams play divisional opponents as much as they did in the past.

The big effect will be playoffs. If it means getting a change, that will be awesome, instead of playing LA and Vegas all the time
It would make travel even less appealing. This is actually an issue with UFA's.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
NHL-2028

Pacific. Midwest. East Atlantic

Van. Edm. Mtl. Was
Sea. Cal. Tor. Nyr
SJS Dal. Ott. Nyi
Lak. Wpg. Det. Njd
Ana. Min. Buf. Fla
Vgk. Stl. Cbj. Tbl
Col. Chi. Bos. Car
Uta Hou. Phl Nas
Phx KC. Pit. Atl
With that many teams, this league is going to have to have 2 levels. 20 teams in the top NHL and 16 teams in the lower NHL, with 4 teams a year swapping back and forth

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
people are just tossing stuff against the wall at this point in time. My guess someone look at a Map a figured that The Salt Lake City Gulls (2pts and a pilsner if you remember them) and think SLC wants be in the same division as LA, Sj and Seattle. When I look at a map and this move? It adds more milage onto our travel

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It would make travel even less appealing. This is actually an issue with UFA's.

Do you mean destinations? I would think the actual travel time would decrease significantly. Plus I bet lots of players would trade Nashville (music) for Vegas (debauchery) and don't have much time to hit beaches in California anyway... no?

Anyway, selfishly I'm a strong YAY! It would be awesome to have more 8PM ET games available to me when they travel to WPG, CHI, NSH, STL, MIN

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you mean destinations? I would think the actual travel time would decrease significantly. Plus I bet lots of players would trade Nashville (music) for Vegas (debauchery) and don't have much time to hit beaches in California anyway... no?

Anyway, selfishly I'm a strong YAY! It would be awesome to have more 8PM ET games available to me when they travel to WPG, CHI, NSH, STL, MIN
I am not sure how travel times would decrease. The cities in the Central Division are further away in general and further apart from one another. The latter is a factor since the Oilers often play the three California teams in one road trip. Plus flying east has a bigger jetlag impact. They could mitigate this to degree by having longer road trips with more games vs the teams in the east thrown in, but that also has its downsides.

As far as the earlier games are concerned, I certainly hear you. 10:00 PM start times are a bear for an old guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sincerely, I would LOVE the Oilers moving to the central. Seeing different teams more often and MANY LESS 8 and 8:30 starts would be amazing.
This is first thing that came to my mind, but honestly how do you leave Vancouver out of a division with Calgary and Edmonton?

Reactions: bone

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I'd much prefer a north - south split.

Northwest (Smythe) - SEA, VAN, EDM, CGY, WIN, MIN, CHI, STL
Southwest (Bettman)- SJ, LA, ANA, VEG, SLC, COL, DAL, NSH

For road games:
Seattle-Vancouver, Edmonton - Calgary, Winnipeg - Minnesota, St. Louis - Chicago are easy scheduling pairs. As is the California teams, Vegas, SLC and Denver.

Nashville is the real outlier, would be great if they could swap conferences for Detroit and Nashville but the Red Wings would never go for it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is first thing that came to my mind, but honestly how do you leave Vancouver out of a division with Calgary and Edmonton?
Easy, they've been the tag along cousin for a while, they can go do it on their own.

8 pm start vs seeing Minnesota more times. The dilemma
I don't mind the Wild now, they play a better brand of hockey than the old days.

And, frankly, more Eastern exposure for McDrai (and everyone else) would be great for the franchise, imo.

Reactions: Canovin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad