Speculation: Possible Coaching Change?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Agree with you for the most part. I think the reasoning is Carberry is really unproven. I don’t know if they believe much would have changed under Carberry. There’s a good chance things maybe get worse with Carberry.

Personally I think the ship kinda sailed on firing keefe two seasons ago. What’s more important is changing the player personnel and forcing Keefe to make those minor adjustments. I don’t think it’s all Keefe’s fault. I think the players make his life difficult, they bitch and complain when he does make changes and then when he walks things back they bitch and complain that he didn’t do enough LOL. The core is a problem.

Keefe was unproven too.

In fact Carbery at least had experience at the NHL level. Keefe didn't even have that. Not to mention they had Smith and Hakstol on board already to replace Babcock, followed by MacFarland and Carbery under Keefe.

Keefe hired without even so much as another candidate interviewed

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
well shanahan tried to re-sign Dubas but said no to Dubas demands so why do you think he would bring someone in who has a complete different idea? I'm not saying this is what I believe should happen but I don't see why you think they brought someone in to change things up. they attempted to re-sign Kyle.

It was blind hope.

Thinking maybe Shanahan wanted to find a GM first. Then let the new GM make the decision on who to replace Keefe with. I didn't possibly think they would fire Dubas and keep Keefe.

Dubas and Keefe were meant for each other.

Like two peas in a pod. One is brain damaged. The other brainwashed.

Between the two of them there isn't a working brain.

Reactions: ToneDog

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Keefe probably blamed Dubas when he met with Treliving

Attachments

• istockphoto-1205066064-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-1205066064-612x612.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Agree with you for the most part. I think the reasoning is Carberry is really unproven. I don’t know if they believe much would have changed under Carberry. There’s a good chance things maybe get worse with Carberry.

Personally I think the ship kinda sailed on firing keefe two seasons ago. What’s more important is changing the player personnel and forcing Keefe to make those minor adjustments. I don’t think it’s all Keefe’s fault. I think the players make his life difficult, they bitch and complain when he does make changes and then when he walks things back they bitch and complain that he didn’t do enough LOL. The core is a problem.
1687289442626.png

But hasn't it been implied the core aren't changing either? We'll see how different things look in a couple of weeks. The same messages keep popping up but nothing real from the club. I am wondering if we are being led in circles by hockey insiders desperate for intention between now and July 1st.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
View attachment 719522

But hasn't it been implied the core aren't changing either? We'll see how different things look in a couple of weeks. The same messages keep popping up but nothing real from the club. I am wondering if we are being led in circles by hockey insiders desperate for intention between now and July 1st.

It will be interesting to watch because Friedman said right after the series loss to FLA that he spoke with a player and the player told him the exit meetings were pretty blunt in why it didn't work and to watch for something big to happen in coming weeks. First reaction to that would have been thinking they were complaining about Keefe but now with him coming back there's probably less chance it's that and more towards player criticism.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
View attachment 719522

main-qimg-40c8a310f02f918d2550b18325bc2271.webp

I can also pull images off google

It’s always easy to blame the coach. Not a huge fan of Keefe. But let’s look at the common constants throughout the last 7 years of failure. Shanahan, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly. Out of that group someone should be gone if you really. Want change. The players are on their 3rd GM and 2nd coach. A lot of this is on the players and Shanny.

Coaching is the last of our worries.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
main-qimg-40c8a310f02f918d2550b18325bc2271.webp

I can also pull images off google

It’s always easy to blame the coach. Not a huge fan of Keefe. But let’s look at the common constants throughout the last 7 years of failure. Shanahan, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly. Out of that group someone should be gone if you really. Want change. The players are on their 3rd GM and 2nd coach. A lot of this is on the players and Shanny.

Coaching is the last of our worries.
Both things should be looked at. Is it more likely that all the top forwards can't bring the same high level to the post season or that the coach is maybe not adapting as well as his opponents are? If the style has to change for post season success, that's the coach who tells the players what they need to do differently. I can believe one or even two of the core have failed to show a playoff gear but not all four. If it was really that bad then they absolutely need to move more than one player out but that seems like a more complicated starting point than with the coach. If the players aren't getting the message, maybe its the coach. If the message SK is giving just isn't working, maybe its the coach.

I am more of the opinion that the big 3 need to be broken up simply for the cap imbalance from forward to D and the cost of extending them. If they can get rid of the weakest link then that's great. Nothing would make me happier than for Keefe to turn this around but it is easier for me to believe the coach is the bigger problem than the entire team. I think the 21-22 Panthers were blamed mostly on the the lineup but their retread coach gave them a monster post season.

Last edited:

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
It will be interesting to watch because Friedman said right after the series loss to FLA that he spoke with a player and the player told him the exit meetings were pretty blunt in why it didn't work and to watch for something big to happen in coming weeks. First reaction to that would have been thinking they were complaining about Keefe but now with him coming back there's probably less chance it's that and more towards player criticism.
Keefe seems like a mild manner kind of guy. I find it hard to believe the players dont like him. Dubas also seemed like a players gm. I can see some frustration internally with the players.

Matthews,Marner, and Nylander all come across as snobby and douchey to me. I can see how they could rub some players.

As for the coach, i think the play is to bring in an assistant or two with solid playoff experience to help. Clearly the regular season is no problem.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad