Possible Buyout Candidates and the Potential Cap Ramifications

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I don't think Scrivens is eligible, i believe the player has to make at least $2.75 to eligible for a buy out

If that's the case, how did Anaheim buy out Mark Fistric? He had two years left at $1.1 million and $1.5 million and was bought out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If that's the case, how did Anaheim buy out Mark Fistric? He had two years left at $1.1 million and $1.5 million and was bought out.

Without having checked the CBA, I imagine the issue is which buyout period a team is using. Fistric was bought out in the first buyout period. The Oilers will be using the second period which ties in to arbitration/settlement of a contract for an RFA.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
There's no one on the roster I would look to buy out.

Purcell only has a year left, and he is a legit middle 6 forward. Plus he and Lander lookes good together last year as a depth scoring pair.
I think Pakarinen, Pitlick or a dark horse to Slepyshev are the future in this spot, but I'd rather see them take it, vs. Being gifted it.

It's the same with Nikitin. He has a history of being a decent NHL'er, so I'd rather see how he does when he's not playing for the worst coach the league has seen in several years. By the end of the year I expect his spot to go to Nurse or Reinhardt, but once again I rather see them take it.

Ference is a different case through, he's not big enough to survive in the west, especially at his age. However I still wouldn't buy him out due to the number of years that'll affect the cap. I'd rather retain half and move him for a pick or trade him for another overpaid defenseman that only has 1 year left on their deal. ( similar to the Bourque-Allen trade last year)

Go after guys like Boyle, Liles, Quincey, Phillips, Gunnarsson, ect

Or pair up Ference and Scrivens and go after Cam Ward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad