Possible Buyout Candidates and the Potential Cap Ramifications

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
These are the 4 players that IMO could warrant a buyout assuming that we have better uses for the cap space.

Nikita Nikitin and Teddy Purcell: $4.5 million cap hits that come off the books at the end of this season. A buyout of each player would free up $3 million in cap for this season but would eat up $1.5 million of cap space next season.

Andrew Ference: $3.25 million cap hit that comes off the books in 2 seasons time.

If we buy him out this offseason we'd gain an additional $2,583,333 in cap space this season and $2,083,333 next season but we'd be on the hook for $666,667 in year 1 and $1,166,667 for the following 3 seasons.

If we buy him out next offseason we'd save $2,166,667 of cap space in '16-17 but he'd be on the books for $1,083,333 for 2 seasons.

Ben Scrivens: $2.3 million cap hit that comes off the book at seasons end. If we buy him out now we'd open up $1,533,333 in cap space this season. Buyout cap hit for this season and next $766,667.

If we send Scrivens to the AHL his NHL cap hit would be $1.35 million so a buyout may not make sense in his case.
Nikitin makes a lot of sense unless we can trade him with salary retained. Purcell has more value than the others do IMO so we maybe able to deal him with $1.5-$2 million retained instead of going with a buyout option. Ference's buyout cap would dip into the season after McDavid's and Nurse's ELC's end so he'd likely be best served to be bought out next offseason.

Ultimately what I'd do is this:

Buyout Nikitin after Schultz signs. This gains us $3 million in cap space.
Trade Teddy Purcell with $2 million retained for futures.
Total cap space opened this season $5.5 million
If we demote Scrivens all season we would have $6.45 million in cap space.

Buyout Ference after the '15-16 season which would more than cover the loss of cap space from the Nikitin buyout.

I would look to sign Chris Stewart (2 years/$3 million AAV) and Matt Irwin (2 years/$1.5 million AAV) this offseason.
This would give us a guy that could ride shotgun with McDavid if the game gets chippy. Irwin is a depth guy that replaces Nikitin, he also has a pretty good shot and may have some untapped offensive potential.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Surprisingly Ferrence still holds some value around the league. At least he was at the TDL.

I think he might be tradable for a minor dump.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
These are the 4 players that IMO could warrant a buyout assuming that we have better uses for the cap space.

Nikita Nikitin and Teddy Purcell: $4.5 million cap hits that come off the books at the end of this season. A buyout of each player would free up $3 million in cap for this season but would eat up $1.5 million of cap space next season.

Andrew Ference: $3.25 million cap hit that comes off the books in 2 seasons time.

If we buy him out this offseason we'd gain an additional $2,583,333 in cap space this season and $2,083,333 next season but we'd be on the hook for $666,667 in year 1 and $1,166,667 for the following 3 seasons.

If we buy him out next offseason we'd save $2,166,667 of cap space in '16-17 but he'd be on the books for $1,083,333 for 2 seasons.

Ben Scrivens: $2.3 million cap hit that comes off the book at seasons end. If we buy him out now we'd open up $1,533,333 in cap space this season. Buyout cap hit for this season and next $766,667.

If we send Scrivens to the AHL his NHL cap hit would be $1.35 million so a buyout may not make sense in his case.
Nikitin makes a lot of sense unless we can trade him with salary retained. Purcell has more value than the others do IMO so we maybe able to deal him with $1.5-$2 million retained instead of going with a buyout option. Ference's buyout cap would dip into the season after McDavid's and Nurse's ELC's end so he'd likely be best served to be bought out next offseason.

Buyout Ference after the '15-16 season which would more than cover the loss of cap space from the Nikitin buyout.

I would look to sign Chris Stewart (2 years/$3 million AAV) and Matt Irwin (2 years/$1.5 million AAV) this offseason.
This would give us a guy that could ride shotgun with McDavid if the game gets chippy. Irwin is a depth guy that replaces Nikitin, he also has a pretty good shot and may have some untapped offensive potential.

I don't think Scrivens is eligible, i believe the player has to make at least $2.75 to eligible for a buy out

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
I disagree. I think we should do nothing buy out related right now. We should bite the pillow on Nikitin and hope he plays better. If not, he can walk. It's just a year, no point dragging it out over two and paying him not to play for us.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
*snip*

Scrivens can't be bought out as he doesn't make enough. Stay as far away as possible from Chris Stewart.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I think buyouts would be foolish and shortsighted at this point, especially for any players with only a year left on their contract. This will NOT be a contending year, no matter what management does, and it's very unlikely to be a playoff year - so bite the bullet on those salaries, pump the tires of any players on their final year that you're not going to extend, and see if you can turn them into an asset near the trade deadline when clubs fighting for playoff seeding might be dealing with injuries.

Nikitin for example: defensemen are always in demand - it's not beyond conceivable that a bubble team near the trade deadline will be down a defenseman or two, nor is it beyond conceivable that Nikitin has a minor rebound under a real coach - under those circumstances, with a little retained salary, Nikitin could be turned into a minor asset instead of retained cap hit for the following year. If it doesn't work out - oh no, he's off the books, big deal.

It's better to wait on someone like Ference too. We are not in "win now" mode, we're in "win soon" mode and "win now" moves really hurt a "win soon" situation. If you have to buy out Ference next year, fine - you suffer with an extra year of cap, but we could very well be in a position the following year to do what I'm suggesting with Nikitin.

Minor assets as minor as they may be still beat out unusable cap space 1 and 2 or more years from now.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
For me, you try to deal Nikitin at 3M (1.5M retained by EDM) for another overpriced contract, but at forward.

For example, could you deal Nikitin for Steve Ott (STL) who is overpaid at 2.6M?

How about to Buffalo for Jamie McGinn at 3M?

NJ, Zubrus at 3.1M?

I could see the Devils being interested in Ference for Zubrus too.

I think Chiarelli will be able to pull off something more creative than a buy-out.

I'd love to see something like Brian Campbell (7.14M) for Nikitin (4.5M) and Purcell (4.5M) - maybe some salary retained somewhere by Edmonton, 1.5M perhaps on Nikitin.

Campbell - Sekera
Klefbom - Schultz
Fayne - Gryba
Ference

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think you buy anyone out unless you are sure you are going to need the cap space. So until the Oilers actually sign someone/make a trade I think you avoid it.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think you buy anyone out unless you are sure you are going to need the cap space. So until the Oilers actually sign someone/make a trade I think you avoid it.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Chia works in such a manner that he has things lined up so that is why I feel that buyouts maybe an option. He wouldn't simply buy one of these guys out and then sit on the space unless he feels that he missed out on some deals and he wants that wiggle room possibly to make a run for guys at the deadline and try to get them into the fold here at that point and try to re-sign them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chia works in such a manner that he has things lined up so that is why I feel that buyouts maybe an option. He wouldn't simply buy one of these guys out and then sit on the space unless he feels that he missed out on some deals and he wants that wiggle room possibly to make a run for guys at the deadline and try to get them into the fold here at that point and try to re-sign them.

Assuming Schultz gets a similar deal he has now the Oilers will have about 5.5 million in cap space next season with a full roster. At the trade deadline when you are picking up only the remainder of a player's contract, that amount can stretch very, very far.

Now I know bonuses need to be factored in as well. McDavid probably will hit some (maybe all, tough to tell). But worst case scenario that cap hit can be carried over to next season. And keep in mind that in order for that to be worse than just keeping Nikitin, the amount that would be carried over would need to be higher than the 1.5 million cap hit we'd carry next season when buying Nikitin out.

If the only move is buying the player out, I'd just as soon see them at camp and give them the opportunity to earn a spot.

I have no issue buying a player like Nikitin or Ference out. But I would need something else, a signing or trade, to happen first. Otherwise I just don't see the point.

I don't imagine Chiarelli's mindset is all that different. If it were, I think he would have just bought someone like Nikitin out during the first window.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don't buy out anyone .Waive them to the AHL . Nikitin and Scrivens opens almost 2 million in cap space . Hope Chia gets Schultz at a lower cap hit . I think we have around 8 million in cap space if we get JS at 3 million we could have 7 million with the above 2 mention players in the A . Doing this does not hurt us long term .

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
purcel has some value so I don't think we have to buy him out. he can be traded, even if we retain a bit.

nikitin has only one year left. the only reason we buy him out is if chia has something already lined up and urgently needs the money. My preference is to send him to the ahl if he can't make the team.

ference is the real question. chia sent him away once and ference has two years of wear and tear since that time. IMO, he is the guy that might get bought out. He might be tradeable if we eat some salary because nobody would pay 3.25 for an over the hill guy when you could sign franson for 5. Ference at 1.65 does not have negative value.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I tend to agree with BBO.

I think Chia has a plan to upgrade a player or two (signing or trade), either before the season starts or shortly after he has evaluated the team.
In order to do this, he may need that extra space a buyout will now give him.

He took Schultz to arbitration for a reason and it doesn't make sense if he can't pay him less than the QO..which he can't.
The only other reason is to open the buyout window.

If he doesn't use the window now, which is possible I guess, he won't have another opportunity this season if he intends to make changes that require that cap space as I noted above.

I suspect he will use the window but it may not be required until later in the off-season or early in the season.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I agree with everyone saying that if we don't have a player in mind, we should stand pat. We're likely not going to be buyers going into the playoffs.

If we do have a player in mind (who??), then I'd opt for the Nikitin buyout over the other ones.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd be very surprised if Chia didn't have a player or two in mind that he'd like to add. Boston supposedly wanted Stewart last season and I'm sure that Chia would love some cap space to wheel and deal if at all possible.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
ference is the real question. chia sent him away once and ference has two years of wear and tear since that time. IMO, he is the guy that might get bought out. He might be tradeable if we eat some salary because nobody would pay 3.25 for an over the hill guy when you could sign franson for 5. Ference at 1.65 does not have negative value.

I don't think Chia sent Ference away as much as he wasn't willing to match the contract Ference signed with the Oilers.

Eating 1.5M of Ference's salary might make a trade better than a buyout. No matter what Ference wastes salary cap.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think Chia sent Ference away as much as he wasn't willing to match the contract Ference signed with the Oilers.

Eating 1.5M of Ference's salary might make a trade better than a buyout. No matter what Ference wastes salary cap.

Ference and Nikitin waste cap space, Ference is just signed for an additional season. I doubt that a team takes Ference on without heavy retention seeing as how a guy like Irwin just signed for
$800K and is probably Ference's equal in some ways and a superior player in others.

Purcell is the only guy that I could see moved with salary retained.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I disagree. I think we should do nothing buy out related right now. We should bite the pillow on Nikitin and hope he plays better. If not, he can walk. It's just a year, no point dragging it out over two and paying him not to play for us.

This exactly, let him walk after seasons end no use loosing space next year just for little gain this year we don't need it that bad

TimCore*

Buying out any Player this year would be very stupid for the Oilers. Every man with a sense for hockey andf the cap world knows that.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
For me, you try to deal Nikitin at 3M (1.5M retained by EDM) for another overpriced contract, but at forward.

For example, could you deal Nikitin for Steve Ott (STL) who is overpaid at 2.6M?

How about to Buffalo for Jamie McGinn at 3M?

NJ, Zubrus at 3.1M?

I could see the Devils being interested in Ference for Zubrus too.

I think Chiarelli will be able to pull off something more creative than a buy-out.

I'd love to see something like Brian Campbell (7.14M) for Nikitin (4.5M) and Purcell (4.5M) - maybe some salary retained somewhere by Edmonton, 1.5M perhaps on Nikitin.

Campbell - Sekera
Klefbom - Schultz
Fayne - Gryba
Ference

The Devil's aren't trading a forward for a Dman. They have no offense at all and tons of promising D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad