Possible blackout for Centennial Classic and Winter Classic for some US viewers

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like Charter Communications is in negotiations with NBCUniversal, if no agreement is reached by Jan 1 2017, Charter Communications will not carry any of the NBCU channels. This means no Centennial Classic, Winter Classic or any games on NBCSports for Charter Communication subscribers (Time Warner Cable Inc. and Bright House Networks were acquired by Charter Communications) until this is settled.

Source https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...channels-may-go-dark-in-charter-cable-dispute

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not too concerned - these sort of threats seem to happen all the time and generally the agreements get settled. It's a marketing ploy by one side or the other to gain sympathy for their cause and put pressure on the other party.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I'm not too concerned - these sort of threats seem to happen all the time and generally the agreements get settled. It's a marketing ploy by one side or the other to gain sympathy for their cause and put pressure on the other party.

Dish network hasn't carried a Buffalo Sabres game for years because they refuse to pay for MSG. Lost thousands of customers and I believe they still don't carry the channel.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Best viewed in person anyway. That's the whole point of outdoor games.

Never understood this. The stands are so far away you see little dots moving around, can't see the puck because of the boards, and freeze your ass off overpaying for hot beverages or alcohol to stay warm.

I'll just sit at home warm, with reasonable priced snacks and booze with perfect view from the camera with access to instant replays while saving over 200$.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Outdoor games are fun once. I would assume it wears off the second time.

That being said, not sure why fans in the continental US should be expected to trek to Canada if they want to watch a hockey game...

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
This isn't a potential blackout.
This is a potential fee fight over retransmission fees. And they occur almost every time that the contract is up.
Both sides threaten and in most cases it's solved without issue. On occasion there's a brief loss of the channel. And in more rare cases they just drop the channel.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Is the WC like Chicago vs Pitts? A game that has been done 120397235 times before anyway? So who really needs to watch it?

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not on a Charter system, but would this include any of the former Time Warner Cable systems where there may still be a carriage contract?

It appears so. I've seen the commercials about possibly losing NBCU channels on Spectrum Cable (previously TWC). I'm in Brooklyn, NY and my cable company was TWC.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not on a Charter system, but would this include any of the former Time Warner Cable systems where there may still be a carriage contract?

Guess so because I'm still in an area that doesn't officially switch to Spectrum until the middle of Jan and I got an email about it.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Its been a year and Comcast won't bring back YES...THE YANKEES. It's all about money and both sides don't care how long it lasts.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Outdoor games are fun once. I would assume it wears off the second time.

That being said, not sure why fans in the continental US should be expected to trek to Canada if they want to watch a hockey game...

Someone better tell the league, since Chicago's about to play their fifth. :facepalm::laugh:

theButton

Oooohh! Ahhhhhh!!
Feb 18, 2013
Never understood this. The stands are so far away you see little dots moving around, can't see the puck because of the boards, and freeze your ass off overpaying for hot beverages or alcohol to stay warm.

I'll just sit at home warm, with reasonable priced snacks and booze with perfect view from the camera with access to instant replays while saving over 200$.

Unless you have good seats or it's a high school game, it's not about watching the action the same way as a regular game. It's the atmosphere. If you've ever been to an outdoor game where it's snowing and the crowd is having fun, you know what I mean

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
What's fun about overpaying to be sitting and freezing your ass off (or maybe getting rained on) if you can't see the game??? :dunno:

Do you yell at kids who walk on your lawn? Sorry this just sounds like something my grandfather would say, "beers too expensive, it's cold outside, I don't want to leave my chair because the dog sits on it when I'm not home".

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Do you yell at kids who walk on your lawn? Sorry this just sounds like something my grandfather would say, "beers too expensive, it's cold outside, I don't want to leave my chair because the dog sits on it when I'm not home".

Only the ones that don't/won't/can't pull up their damn pants or who play that gosh darn "rap music" too darn loud....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad