News: Possible 86.5 M salary cap in 2023-24 if escrow balance paid off this season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is why GMs were handing out 8 year deals like candy last summer.
Depends on the age of the player. 25 and under it’s a solid strategy as you lock in prime years. Not as sound a strategy of the player is 28-30.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Finally for once the rich guys are getting a break.

How about instead they lower the salary cap and lower ticket prices.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Finally for once the rich guys are getting a break.

How about instead they lower the salary cap and lower ticket prices.
tell us you dont understand how teh salary cap works without telling us how the salary cap works.

if you want tickets to cost less, the demand will need to be reduced. as long as someone is willing to pay, the clubs have a moral and ethical obligation to charge as much as they can. if they could charge a $10 oxygen access fee, they would be obliged to charge it.

they told the players, we are partners. they locked the players out to get this revenue linkage. they told the players, we are partners, let us grow the revenue and share it with you.

now they must generate as much revenue as they legally can. they robbed the NHLPA members of probably 1 billion dollars in order to get this system.

not one player is overpaid, they collectively make exactly what they were promised and not a penny more. not 1 penny more than the owners forced them to take,

• Haha
Reactions: Rodge and byrath

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
They're literally designed to involuntarily grab your attention.

And it's 'everyone's' not 'everyones'
Maybe you should work on your focus or get a cup of coffee if its that much of a hinderance on your ability to watch the game, soccer has had this forever

Actually a first world childs problem, grow up. You dont like it poney up the money so they dont have to

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe you should work on your focus or get a cup of coffee if its that much of a hinderance on your ability to watch the game, soccer has had this forever

Actually a first world childs problem, grow up. You dont like it poney up the money so they dont have to

I'd argue that lecturing strangers on the internet over their preferences is a bigger problem fueled by childish idiots.

Spelling and grammar is a big one too, did no one teach you how to use apostrophes or spell 'hindrance'? Our education system is an embarrassment.

Reactions: PuckG and KapG

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I would like to see the NHL implement a 2 tiered cap structure whereby some of the increase can only be used for certain types of players, namely recalls. This would help save the teams from themselves, knowing that will spend so closely to the Cap. For example, the 1 tier salary cap pool would increase by $3m from $82.5m to $85.5m, with a 2nd tier cap of $1m allocated only for recalls, that way a team can afford to recall players once they have injured players on the IR. Then any unused cap from Tier 2 can be combined with Tier 1 a couple weeks before the TDL.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Right now sure but contracts end and space opens up. I mean a good UFA isn’t signing for $3 mil. If you have no space then the $3 mil isn’t likely to change the team. Maybe you can sign a good RFA to an extra year or two instead of just a bridge.
I know for the Leafs who are $4 under the cap, they will need it to resign their existing players, Nylander, Marner, Matthews.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I know for the Leafs who are $4 under the cap, they will need it to resign their existing players, Nylander, Marner, Matthews.
I’m not saying it’s nothing just that it’s a modest bump in context. Less than 5% extra. It won’t save a team that has bad deals on the books. Teams still won’t take cap dumps without major sweeteners.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Why do the boards bother so many people? Your eyes should be focused on the players not whats being advertised, is everyones attention span seriously this short?

So they're not specifically using animated graphics to grab your attention? Why are they using animated ads then?

You seriously can't understand why seeing digitally imposed animated ads on all of the visible boards where they never existed before would be distracting for viewers and unwelcomed?

Reactions: byrath and egelband

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I’m not saying it’s nothing just that it’s a modest bump in context. Less than 5% extra. It won’t save a team that has bad deals on the books. Teams still won’t take cap dumps without major sweeteners.
It injects an extra $96M in cap space into the league. I am sure Teams will always be stuck and need to pay a sweetener to unload their bad deals, but it will bring down some of the prices we've seen in order to create cap space and will make it much easier to make a trade in general. Bjorkstrand for a couple of 3rd round picks was robbery, and VGK needing to unload Pacioretty for free is a product of this covid cap era. It also makes it hard to trade serviceable players who would normally return a 2nd or 3rd rounder to having to literally give away the player for free, or even needing to add a sweetener. For teams like us that have 2 big contracts who are UFAs in 2024 and 1 in 2025 we need this.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Can somebody patiently explain me why it is not a precisely known mathematical calculation which outcome is going to happen? Are the salaries not all known and tabulated? Is there a reason why such a Byzantine salary system was designed other than to completely mystify the people they get all their money from?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Half the league is at or 500k from the cap limit, league needs a luxury tax or purging some shitty owners/teams in the lower rungs.

Incentivized losing while at the same time giving money to shitty teams/owners clearly isn't working
I've been saying Arizona needs to be defunct for about 18 years now. Get rid of Columbus, Nashville, and one of Carolina, Vegas, or Seattle too. I'd say Buffalo, but they are grandfathered in, so to speak.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues need this to try to fit UFA’s ROR, Tarasenko (if he wants to) and Barbashev under the cap.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Gms knew all of this when they signed those recent 8 years contracts that everybody ripped apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad