Position of weakness.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
That's beside the point IMO. System? I say an upgrade at center helps the system. Maybe it's the right wing?

...The System is the most important part of a good team...play to your strengths, eliminate your weaknesses as much as possible...ask the Kings, Hawks, and Bruins...;)

...or should I have just said the coach??...:laugh:

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
...The System is the most important part of a good team...play to your strengths, eliminate your weaknesses as much as possible...ask the Kings, Hawks, and Bruins...;)

...or should I have just said the coach??...:laugh:

Well, we're doom!

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I say a top line center. We don't have a go-to-guy.
-Galchenyuk I don't know if he's going to transition to center.
-Desharnais lacks size, heart
-Plekanec is a perfect #2 guy
-Eller is a very good #3 guy
-Malhotra is a great #4 guy

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
We need a #3 D badly. The Blue are contenders because they can roll Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Bouwemeester. Boston used to be able to roll Hamilton, Boychuck and Chara. Chicago had Seabrook, Keith and Leddy. That #3 D would do wonder for this organization. However I do think we can solve that internally with Tinordi emerging or Beaulieu

We also need another top 6 forward. Chuckie will become a #1 C but right now Pacioretty is the only legitimate winger. Scherbak will eventually evolve into that, same with McCarron (who is more of a 2nd liner). Right now, I'd target a top 6RW to replace Parenteau on that top line.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I believe we need to look at the right side of our defense. With Subban having a very average season start (for a player of his caliber), then you have Gonchar and Weaver, two very old D-men, and sometimes Gilbert, who does an honest job but isn't really a gamebreaker. This is probably the position that could be the improved the most, the problem is I don't see how we could do so short term without sacrificing valuable assets

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
We need a #3 D badly. The Blue are contenders because they can roll Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Bouwemeester. Boston used to be able to roll Hamilton, Boychuck and Chara. Chicago had Seabrook, Keith and Leddy. That #3 D would do wonder for this organization. However I do think we can solve that internally with Tinordi emerging or Beaulieu

We also need another top 6 forward. Chuckie will become a #1 C but right now Pacioretty is the only legitimate winger. Scherbak will eventually evolve into that, same with McCarron (who is more of a 2nd liner). Right now, I'd target a top 6RW to replace Parenteau on that top line.

Well let's be honest, the right side on D is tin.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron could all be top6 if they reach their ceiling. Bozon and Thomas for really outside chances.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I believe we need to look at the right side of our defense. With Subban having a very average season start (for a player of his caliber), then you have Gonchar and Weaver, two very old D-men, and sometimes Gilbert, who does an honest job but isn't really a gamebreaker. This is probably the position that could be the improved the most, the problem is I don't see how we could do so short term without sacrificing valuable assets

I agree but I think a stronger center position can relief pressure on the D. We need more offense upfront. This is what? the 3rd SO in 20ish games?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
an upgrade at C would be just as good.

Even the best teams have a 50 pts player on their 1st line. 70 pts Patches - 70 pts #1C - 50 pts RW would be just as good as 70 pts Patches - 50 pts #1 C - 70 pts RW.

I wouldn't argue against either! Would be great.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I agree but I think a stronger center position can relief pressure on the D. We need more offense upfront. This is what? the 3rd SO in 20ish games?

4th SO actually :cry:
I agree our center line could use an upgrade, scoring definitely being the main problem in our losses, but a contending team is built with a strong defense, and I think in the long term, our D will need an upgrade more than our center. DD is probably the weakest link at C, but having Gonchar, Weaver, Gilbert and Allen all playing regularly is more a concern to me.

Someone mentionned having a 3rd D-man would be a great help, I agree with this, Emelin is a solid 4th, all the others are borderline 5-6th, they shouldn't play game after game. We have promising depth at D but most of them aren't ready just yet, blame it on Gainey for trading McDonagh.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I say a top line center. We don't have a go-to-guy.
-Galchenyuk I don't know if he's going to transition to center.
-Desharnais lacks size, heart
-Plekanec is a perfect #2 guy
-Eller is a very good #3 guy
-Malhotra is a great #4 guy

DD may lack many things, but heart is not one of them.

His size is a detriment because he's easily knocked off the puck and he loses more battles than he wins.

He's a very good player, but hardly first line material. His usage and deployment is on the genius coach.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Center. DD is a huge downgrade from Gomez and that is saying something.

That's a bold claim. Granted, they're starting to look more and more similar, but at least DD makes half the salary Gomez did. DD might not be that superior to Gomez, but saying he's a HUGE downgrade is a stretch.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Left Wing.

We have good centres, not elite but very good. In the minors, we have a good RWer playing C in Andrighetto.

We have Galchenyuk also.

We have one legitimate LWer.

We have 6 D that are okay or better.

Again, LW.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
That's a bold claim. Granted, they're starting to look more and more similar, but at least DD makes half the salary Gomez did. DD might not be that superior to Gomez, but saying he's a HUGE downgrade is a stretch.

2010-2011 Gomez did more with Pacioretty than DD ever did, especially in the subtle aspects that don't make the statesheet. Later in the next season, Gomez got the injury bug and never saw his savior ever again as DD got a promotion thanks to Cunneyworth. Put this way, DD-Pacioretty never reached 2010-2011 Pacioretty-Gomez levels of effectiveness. Gomez was a far more explosive skater, Pacioretty and him executed actual "back-and-forth passing", and Pacioretty didn't float around just waiting for Gomez to pass him the puck. He actually tried to win the puck for Gomez or Gionta at times.

Analyzer*

Defense, RW and a legitimate number 1 centre.

So, we have more weaknesses than we should.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Left Wing.

We have good centres, not elite but very good. In the minors, we have a good RWer playing C in Andrighetto.

We have Galchenyuk also.

We have one legitimate LWer.

We have 6 D that are okay or better.

Again, LW.

Patches and Galchenuyk is good enough on LW. the only reason we'd be thin on LW is if Galchenyuk becomes a C. Is that what you're suggesting ?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Coaching. Also, DD.

Edit: Super contender

Pacioretty - XXXX - XXXX
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
Sekac - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

XXXX - Subban
Markov - XXXX
Emelin - Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

No team in the league has *that* much depth. And if it appears they do, it's likely their players over-achieving as a result of a good system/coach.

We lack a #1 RW and a #1 C - our defense is more than fine if Allen isn't playing and Beaulieu is allowed to make mistakes - but I still think we're missing Gorges as Weaver has dipped in performance from last year. I quite like the shrewd Gonchar acquisition too.

Imagine how threatening the Habs would look with Jumbo Joe as the #1 centre? Better yet, play Galchenyuk there, let him make mistakes and get him to develop into that centre ffs. We can carry him and Beaulieu making mistakes, we can't carry Desharnais playing at a 41-pt pace with Pacioretty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad