Position of weakness.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Left Wing.

We have good centres, not elite but very good. In the minors, we have a good RWer playing C in Andrighetto.

We have Galchenyuk also.

We have one legitimate LWer.

We have 6 D that are okay or better.

Again, LW.

Unproven, never played in the NHL, undersized Andrighetto is your solution to the RW issue. A position that, if you knew our system, requires a lot of board play and physicality. A position which league-wide, increasingly requires bigger or more physical players.

Where on the LW we have one of the best, or at least most productive players in the league in Pacioretty, and then Alex Galchenyuk in a breakout year... you want more LWs and you think Andrighetto is the answer to RW.

Not to mention the whole issue with Desharnais.

It's almost becoming a joke with you Natey. You're gonna end up on peoples' ignore list at this rate.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think the Habs have everything they need, but they'd benefit if Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi took steps forward between now and the playoffs.

They need to stop sending DD out on the PP.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think the Habs have everything they need, but they'd benefit if Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi took steps forward between now and the playoffs.

They need to stop sending DD out on the PP.

Developing Galchenyuk into a bonafide offensive player and Beaulieu into a top5 d-man this year would be really, really helpful. Tinordi we can work with when other things fall into place (injuries, call-ups, trades, etc.) but Beaulieu was an asset in the playoffs and his offensive instincts are great.

If Galchenyuk can start to score at a consistent clip it would do wonders for his confidence and development.

goon37

Sep 25, 2006
Positions of weakness (in this order for me):
-Coaching (MTL and Hamilton)
-1st line forward talent (C and/or RW)
-Mid to top level D (a top 2-3 kind of guy)

Positions of strength
-Depth all around (allot of 2nd-3rd line forwards and 4 to 6 D, many playing above their role)
-2 way forwards with speed
-1 Top goalie. 1 Top LW. 1 Top D (Markov + Subban = 1 top D in my opinion, they are rarely at their best at the same time, maybe due to coaching).

Size is neither a weakness like it used to be nor is it a strength.
Some of the weaknesses can be addressed internally (see Galchenyuk, maybe Beaulieu - a far stretch).
Sometimes a single player, like Vanek last year, can push everyone to fall back into a proper role (except for DD).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If we had a stud #4RHD it would balance out the defence and get rid of all the band aids we are putting on

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Patches and Galchenuyk is good enough on LW. the only reason we'd be thin on LW is if Galchenyuk becomes a C. Is that what you're suggesting ?
I'm suggesting Galchenyuk is a natural centre, so we really only have one left wing. We have such good centre depth that maybe our best offensive one is running the second line himself.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Unproven, never played in the NHL, undersized Andrighetto is your solution to the RW issue. A position that, if you knew our system, requires a lot of board play and physicality. A position which league-wide, increasingly requires bigger or more physical players.

Where on the LW we have one of the best, or at least most productive players in the league in Pacioretty, and then Alex Galchenyuk in a breakout year... you want more LWs and you think Andrighetto is the answer to RW.

Not to mention the whole issue with Desharnais.

It's almost becoming a joke with you Natey. You're gonna end up on peoples' ignore list at this rate.
What???? Firstly, if you want to ignore me... I don't care. I'm not sure how my post was a joke but okay. I wasn't saying Ghetto was the answer, I was saying he's good depth in the AHL for RW and lately, C.

I stick by my statement 110%

Depth Chart

Centre
Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Desharnais
Eller
Malhotra
Hudon

Right Wing
Gallagher
Parenteau
Sekac
Weise
Andrighetto

Left Wing
Pacioretty
Prust
Bournival
Reway

Defense
Markov
Subban
Gilbert
Emelin
Gonchar
Weaver
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Nygren
Pateryn
Drewiske
Allen

Goalie
Price
Tokarski
Condon
Fucalel

I see one glaring weakness there and it starts at LW.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Right Wing

Sekac

...Sekac is actually a natural left wing that can play the right side (but is on record multiple times stating LW is his preferred position...just like Bork was on record multiple times stating that RW was his prefered postion, so Therrien puts him on LW and keeps him there, even after Gionta left...)

;)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
...Sekac is actually a natural left wing that can play the right side (but is on record multiple times stating LW is his preferred position...just like Bork was on record multiple times stating that RW was his prefered postion, so Therrien puts him on LW and keeps him there, even after Gionta left...)

;)
Yes, I know he's a natural LW. But he's not once been used there since becoming Habs property.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
While C may not be our strength, but how can C is our weakest position when Galchenyuk has no place on C and Eller is on the 3rd line ?

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Looking at our team, we could upgrade the missionary position, this would have a drastic impact.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Based on votes, this is going to be another DD thread for sure. :laugh:

He's easy to pick on because it's SO obvious. Did the guy ever play one shift with Bork.... no. He has value, but not where he's at. He disappears against top flight competition. This is not what top centres do. He absolutely needs 2 power forwards to be effective, and that decimates other lines. Unless we can trade for Buffylglien (whatever) then we need to shake things up at centre. I don't think its a coincidence that we lose blowouts to certain teams (Pitt, TB, NYR are all fast, and can roll 4 lines).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Eller is a pretty damn good center group. So we need a winger more than a center and a coach that will use his lineup properly which sadly wasn't an option.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
While C may not be our strength, but how can C is our weakest position when Galchenyuk has no place on C and Eller is on the 3rd line ?

Addition by subtraction. IMO, Pleks, Eller, Galchenyuk is stronger than Deharnais, Pleks, Eller.

DD is not a first line centre, but it seems MT is too thick headed to try him with, say Bournival and Weise on the third.

Since its unlikely this happens, trading DD might be the best option.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Eller is a pretty damn good center group. So we need a winger more than a center and a coach that will use his lineup properly which sadly wasn't an option.

I agree Sekac is a left winger...
DD isn't going anywhere...Yet

We need a young solid Shane Doan type RW.
This will allow Gally to play a 3rd line role with a couple of grinders.
It also affors much more flexibility with our top 6 if MT ever decides to experiment. :help:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

It also affors much more flexibility with our top 6 if MT ever decides to experiment. :help:

Most wingers can play either side even if they prefer one over the other. So whether it's LW or a RW doesn't really matter. But the whole point of getting a winger is so that Galchenyuk would be moved to center. But I get the feeling that Therrien would simply be put the new top-flight winger with Pacioretty and Desharnais to try to get DD going.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
DDq isn't going anywhere...Yet

There's a fair to middling chance we get that player next year in the form of McCarron.

Bergevin is not Therrien. He won't hesitate to move DD if he finds a reasonable deal. As suggested by others, DD + for Perron would be satisfactory from my viewpoint.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013

Blake wheeler

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's easy to pick on because it's SO obvious. Did the guy ever play one shift with Bork.... no. He has value, but not where he's at. He disappears against top flight competition. This is not what top centres do. He absolutely needs 2 power forwards to be effective, and that decimates other lines. Unless we can trade for Buffylglien (whatever) then we need to shake things up at centre. I don't think its a coincidence that we lose blowouts to certain teams (Pitt, TB, NYR are all fast, and can roll 4 lines).
Yes he did.. and he scored two goals in one period lol

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
It was between center or RW for me. I chose center but only because they refuse to move Galchenyuk there. If we had Galchenyuk-Pleks-Eller-Manny we would be all set. We are in desperate need of a #1 RW as well. Gallagher and PAP are solid #2 and #3. Sekac should be moved to LW to take Galchenyuk's role if they ever wake the f@#k up and dump DD.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
It was between center or RW for me. I chose center but only because they refuse to move Galchenyuk there. If we had Galchenyuk-Pleks-Eller-Manny we would be all set. We are in desperate need of a #1 RW as well. Gallagher and PAP are solid #2 and #3. Sekac should be moved to LW to take Galchenyuk's role if they ever wake the f@#k up and dump DD.

The RW is a close second fallowed by the RD.

I would like to see this in the upcoming games:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac
Patch-Plekanec-PAP
Prust-DD-Gallagher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad