Portland's Odd Couple (Winterhawks 2012 eligibles thread)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Portland continues to keep churning out highly ranked draft eligibles. Neiderreiter, Johansen, Baertschi, Rattie, Wotherspoon, Morrow, Ross. The list goes on.

This year they'll have a couple in Derrick Pouliot and Brendan Leipsic. An odd couple.

One is a silky smooth-skating defenseman with vision and poise. The other is a pesky forward with magic mittens.

Together, they’re the odd couple.

Blueliner Derrick Pouliot and forward Brendan Leipsic are highly ranked prospects for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They’re teammates on the Western Hockey League’s Portland Winterhawks. They’re also roommates.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/portlands-draft-eligible-odd-couple/

These kids are hilarious together off the ice and dangerous together on the ice.

What is in the water in Portland?

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Pouliot definitely isn't as dynamic or flashy as Dumba, but I can see why he's highly rated. Good skater in all directions and moves the puck well. Pretty competitive guy for his size too.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Portland continues to keep churning out highly ranked draft eligibles. Neiderreiter, Johansen, Baertschi, Rattie, Wotherspoon, Morrow, Ross. The list goes on.

This year they'll have a couple in Derrick Pouliot and Brendan Leipsic. An odd couple.

These kids are hilarious together off the ice and dangerous together on the ice.

Tap water is too "mainstream".

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Probably has something to do with being worst in the league for a number of years and having a huge amount of top end draft picks

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It will be interesting to see if Pouliot or Morgan Rielly are more sought after at next year's draft. I've heard great arguments about both, and both are very good players.

Leipsic is a buzzsaw ... love watching that kid play.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It will be interesting to see if Pouliot or Morgan Rielly are more sought after at next year's draft. I've heard great arguments about both, and both are very good players.

Leipsic is a buzzsaw ... love watching that kid play.

Yeah it will be interesting to see, but I think Rielly has a more attractive attribute for an NHL team...he simply jumps out at you when watching him where Pouliot is just more safe and grounded.

Leipsic is also fun to watch. Just wish he was a few inches taller.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Yeah I see that Leipsic is a small skilled forward but I don't see what makes him more enticing to an NHL team than a guy like Shane McColgan or Michael St. Croix, I think he is more of a 3rd or later round pick. Nothing special

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Nothing's in the water except high draft position. When you draft a guy like Pouliot first overall it's pretty hard to screw it up. Not exactly like they went through the paces to develop him and discover him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Yeah I see that Leipsic is a small skilled forward but I don't see what makes him more enticing to an NHL team than a guy like Shane McColgan or Michael St. Croix, I think he is more of a 3rd or later round pick. Nothing special

Both were mid-round draft picks ... nothing special there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad