Poolman - Third Pairing

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 218451

Everyone seems to be wanting another dman signed and Poolman drop to our 7/8th dman. I thought he played better as the year went on and was one of our better ones against Calgary in the playoffs. If they sign a Hamonic or whomever I don't see the Jets not starting him on the third pairing. Would that mean leaving Heinola in Finland for the year? Is that such a bad thing with what an NNL season might look like?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Poolman

Kulikov or Beaulieu or other cheap UFA
Kovacevik
Niku

I'd like to see the above unless Pietrangelo wants to be a Jet, then he plays with Morrissey. Demelo bumps Poolman to the press box. Poolman bumps Kulikov/Beaulieu back into free agency.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Everyone seems to be wanting another dman signed and Poolman drop to our 7/8th dman. I thought he played better as the year went on and was one of our better ones against Calgary in the playoffs. If they sign a Hamonic or whomever I don't see the Jets not starting him on the third pairing. Would that mean leaving Heinola in Finland for the year? Is that such a bad thing with what an NNL season might look like?

Agree he got better last season and very much think he has a future with the team. Personally I'd like a dman that pushes DeMelo and Pionk down. I don't think we need anyone that would only push poolman down. At that point you play Poolman and find someone to step in if Samberg or Heinola aren't ready.

Deleted member 218451

Agree he got better last season and very much think he has a future with the team. Personally I'd like a dman that pushes DeMelo and Pionk down. I don't think we need anyone that would only push poolman down. At that point you play Poolman and find someone to step in if Samberg or Heinola aren't ready.
Listening to Demelo yesterday I got the impression that he believes he will be with JMo though.

Deleted member 218451

I think hes excellent value for a 3rd pairing D and IMO was our best D man in the series vs Calgary.

Poolman has a spot on my roster as 3 RHD for sure.

I agree so IF they were to sign a Hamonic, for instance, or a LHD to play with Pionk, that means Heniola or Samberg are press box duty. Not great for their development either which is why I questioned if they just leave Heinola in Finland for the year???

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’d prefer Hamonic in the 3rd pairing over Poolman, personally. I don’t see Poolman on a 3rd pairing on a cup contending team. He’s a 7/8 for me.

Reactions: surixon

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I’d prefer Hamonic in the 3rd pairing over Poolman, personally. I don’t see Poolman on a 3rd pairing on a cup contending team. He’s a 7/8 for me.

This actually works for me. Reality hamonic and tucker are both a bit injury prone ish. They would make a great bottom pair rhd option together. Goood depth.

Reactions: Bob E

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Listening to Demelo yesterday I got the impression that he believes he will be with JMo though.

I think he is right and that he will. But I still think we are lacking a D1 after loosing Big Buff. JoMo feels more like a 1st pairing to me after his last couple of seasons. I don't see how we would fill that hole outside of drafting so DeMelo makes sense. If I'm Chevy I focus on a 2C stopgap and stopgap defense first top 4 defensemen that can play with Pionk. Ease Samberg/Heinola in on 3rd pairing with Poolman and let whoever develops the best take over from the stopgap.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think people want a LHD signed.

I think if you sign Hamonic at this point you're looking to trade Pionk or Poolman. Hamonic is really a luxury as I think DeMelo, Pionk, Poolman, Niku is just fine on RD.

I really like Poolman on the third pair and I think he proved he could play all the way up on the first pair in a pinch, even if he doesn't really excel against that competition. He's a UFA after the year though, so that's always a problem.

Signing Hamonic also causes protection issues in the expansion draft as one of DeMelo, Hamonic or Pionk wouldn't be protected.

I don't think we sign Hamonic to pressbox Poolman, but who knows. If the price is right and he makes our team better... You always have injuries so that depth is fine with me.

Reactions: DashingDane

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think people want a LHD signed.

I think if you sign Hamonic at this point you're looking to trade Pionk or Poolman. Hamonic is really a luxury as I think DeMelo, Pionk, Poolman, Niku is just fine on RD.

I really like Poolman on the third pair and I think he proved he could play all the way up on the first pair in a pinch, even if he doesn't really excel against that competition. He's a UFA after the year though, so that's always a problem.

Signing Hamonic also causes protection issues in the expansion draft as one of DeMelo, Hamonic or Pionk wouldn't be protected.

I don't think we sign Hamonic to pressbox Poolman, but who knows. If the price is right and he makes our team better... You always have injuries so that depth is fine with me.
I think Hamonic would be left exposed, unless you move a Pionk next year since his contract might be too rich for what he brings. Or looked at another way, his salary could go towards someone else who checks off other boxes.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
You are signing another guy because you want depth. Some of these guys will get injured as the season goes along
I have enough faith in Kovacevik and Niku to serve as injury replacements for the right side. It would be a shame for them to have nowhere to play. I'd like to have an experienced D for injury replacements on the left side. I think Beaulieu or Kulikov would be good for that role but I'm sure there's dozens of other options in UFA.

Deleted member 218451

You are signing another guy because you want depth. Some of these guys will get injured as the season goes along
Understand but doesn't that mean that one, or both, Heinola and Samberg would be in the box, especially if no AHL season? Not sure that's the best thing for them.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I like Poolman for the 3rd pair, he was somewhat unfairly thrust into top pairing 5-5 minutes hurting his possession numbers.

However, the Jets are in a unique position this year to spend on 1 year depth contracts. (If they don't spend it on a 2C.)

Hamonic on a one year 3M contract would be nice. Poolman could play LD from time to time to spell the youngsters.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think if he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and he gets a little better than he's a legit top 6 defender. I think he's just on the outside right now, but has earned his chances. The best case scenario for 2020-21 is that they have such great depth on D that Poolman is #7. He plays the left side with comfort and he contract is fractions of what it should be. He'd make an excellent fill in for when injuries happen.

On the other hand, if he's the Jets #6 all year, that isn't a terrible situation either. I guess it depends if, at 27, he still has some ceiling left and, if so, how much.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Poolman

Kulikov or Beaulieu or other cheap UFA
Kovacevik
Niku

I'd like to see the above unless Pietrangelo wants to be a Jet, then he plays with Morrissey. Demelo bumps Poolman to the press box. Poolman bumps Kulikov/Beaulieu back into free agency.

2 rookies in your top 6 is a nightmare.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Morrissey Demelo. Seemed to have developed good chemistry. Let them build it.

Sanheim/Werenski Pionk

Samberg/Heinola. Poolman/Hamonic.

Could be why Werenski and Sanheim have been rumored wants in a laine deal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think if he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and he gets a little better than he's a legit top 6 defender. I think he's just on the outside right now, but has earned his chances. The best case scenario for 2020-21 is that they have such great depth on D that Poolman is #7. He plays the left side with comfort and he contract is fractions of what it should be. He'd make an excellent fill in for when injuries happen.

On the other hand, if he's the Jets #6 all year, that isn't a terrible situation either. I guess it depends if, at 27, he still has some ceiling left and, if so, how much.
Disagree and think he’s a legit 6th already. Now if you can get a top 4 d on your bottom pairing why not?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm happy with Poolman if he plays the way he was playing at the end of the season and against Calgary.
Next season, I expect the Jets to start with...

JMo/Mellowyellow
Acquistion?/Pionk
Slamberg or Ville the Kid/Poolman
Boolow ... Niku

One of Heinola or Slamberg start the year elsewhere but finish the season on the roster.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Morrissey Demelo. Seemed to have developed good chemistry. Let them build it.

Sanheim/Werenski Pionk

Samberg/Heinola. Poolman/Hamonic.

Could be why Werenski and Sanheim have been rumored wants in a laine deal.
I'm not that knowledgeable about Sanheim. Is he anywhere as good as Werenski?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad