Poll: Would You Prefer Olympic Sized rinks in NHL?

CalgaryLeaf*

The players are getting bigger and faster every year...I think the NHL would be a more exciting product if all the teams had Olympic sized rinks.

My guess is that the ownwers are too cheap to retro-fit all the rinks to Olympic size...That would mean they'd have to remove a lot of seats to accomodate the bigger size...I'm not even sure if some of the rinks can be changed.

The league should mandate that all new arenas be capable of expanding to olympic size...I know here in Calgary the previously named "olympic" Saddledome can do it because it was home to the 1988 winter Olympics.

Vote:

1) Yes,I'd love the bigger ice surface

2) No,I'm old school and love the dinky sized rinks.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1) but it won't happen

Poll w/out the Poll booth ?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
People who want Olympic-regulation rinks need to watch regular hockey on those rinks first.

Bigger rinks doesn't lead to more offense. It leads to more of a perimeter game, which is generally where the most space pops up. That's not exciting, interesting, or benefitting of skilled players in anyway.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with NHL standard rinks right now, period.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - skilled players are able to find their way through rinks up & down the continent just fine.

CalgaryLeaf*

People who want Olympic-regulation rinks need to watch regular hockey on those rinks first.

Bigger rinks doesn't lead to more offense. It leads to more of a perimeter game, which is generally where the most space pops up. That's not exciting, interesting, or benefitting of skilled players in anyway.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with NHL standard rinks right now, period.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - skilled players are able to find their way through rinks up & down the continent just fine.

Grinding games along the boards is boring too. You'd see more skilled & faster players in the NHL and the slower,bigger stiffs,would die out.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Grinding games along the boards is boring too. You'd see more skilled & faster players in the NHL and the slower,bigger stiffs,would die out.

No.

You wouldn't.

Because that's exactly what they said would happen when the "eliminate clutching and grabbing" emphasis was launched.

Guess what?

Plenty of slower, bigger stiffs still in the NHL and teams that prefer to play that grind-it-out style of hockey.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Games on international ice are boring as hell. Watch a week of SEL games if you get a chance. Though there is some skill, the games are slowed down and sluggish.

What you lose is the quickness that makes the NHL so fantastic! Big guys in a small space have to be quick and move the puck quick. When you expand the playing area you will lose that aspect of the game... plus the games will be even less physical than they are now.

I would be less of a fan if this ever came to pass.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Id say allow the team to decide whether the dimensions are north american or Olympic sized next time one gets a new arena or renovates their current one. Hell, in MLB, isnt each stadium different from eachother?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Olympic Sized Rinks are too big and easy to push opponents to the outside. NHL sized rinks are too small and easy to congest the neutral zone.

Slightly larger NHL rinks so that players have a little more time and space to create would be ideal.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Games on international ice are boring as hell. Watch a week of SEL games if you get a chance. Though there is some skill, the games are slowed down and sluggish.

What you lose is the quickness that makes the NHL so fantastic! Big guys in a small space have to be quick and move the puck quick. When you expand the playing area you will lose that aspect of the game... plus the games will be even less physical than they are now.

I would be less of a fan if this ever came to pass.

This x1000

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you don't need olympic size ice.
you just need bigger NHL-esque ice. (sort of like what Salt Lake City had - it wasn't NHL standards - but it wasn't IIHF standards either).

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
One thing I think would be a benefit of these rinks is the better teams wouldn't be giving up loser points as much as they do. Just my opinion on that. I prefer the rinks now though. Bull in a China shop is my kind of game

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Make the rinks a bit wider same as in Finland where is is not exactly Olympic size.

I don't agree that the games will be more boring as many in Canada have seen the Olympic and IIHF games.

If you have unskilled players it does not matter the size of the rink, the skilled players will still make the great plays.

Ironic that Canadians always brag about the CFL with it's larger size and rules is better than the NFL game. but in hockey most prefer the smaller NHL riinks I know it's a different sport but it's kind of funny.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Make the rinks a bit wider same as in Finland where is is not exactly Olympic size.

I don't agree that the games will be more boring as many in Canada have seen the Olympic and IIHF games.

If you have unskilled players it does not matter the size of the rink, the skilled players will still make the great plays.

Ironic that Canadians always brag about the CFL with it's larger size and rules is better than the NFL game. but in hockey most prefer the smaller NHL riinks I know it's a different sport but it's kind of funny.

(1) CFL has an extra player and vastly different rules to the NFL. Incomparable really, and the field size is but one small part of that discussion.

(2) To compare Olympic hockey to an NHL game is apples to oranges. Olympics for the most part have the very best players in the world throughout the entire lineup. While the NHL is the best league in said world, it does not contain 700 elite players.

If you want slower softer games then by all means bring it on.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It would take at least 30 years to implement a bigger rink in the NHL. It would need to be done as new arenas were built!

There is no way owners would pay to modify existing rinks to accommodate a larger ice surface. Too many seats would have to be lost to the expansion!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I laugh at anyone who insists the CFL is better than the NFL the same way I laugh at anyone who thinks junior hockey is better than the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Won't happen and will make the game worse if it did.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They do??
Maybe a handful in Sask. but no one else of sane mind would claim that.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No way. The tempo and action would be nothing like it is today. The only reason the Olympics is so great is because there is 3-5 teams consisting of skilled all stars putting on a show. I hope we shrink the rinks over here and make them NHL sized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad