OT: POLL: Who do you consider our biggest rival right now ?

Who would you consider Columbus biggest rival right now ?

• Total voters

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To the CBJ fans: I think Pittsburgh now.
To the CBJ Players: I would guess Tampa after the playoffs the last couple of years. Seems to bring out the best in the CBJ.
The bad thing is I don't think a single other NHL teams views the CBJ as their rivals?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I voted Boston because of the hate that came out of that series (now 2 years ago).
I think JacketsDavid may have it correct.

I will say that playoff series over the span of several years is what develops rivalries, not geography. We started down that path with Pittsburgh for a while, but it's been more Washington, Boston, TBL in recent years. We just NEED MORE PLAYOFF HOCKEY! - preferably about 25 games each year (16-9 over 4 series would be downright awesome).

Ok, I have been drinking the Laine-Ade Koolaid too much. I am glad the cloud of the PLD situation is mostly past. I am excited to see Laine (and Roslovic to a smaller extent) make a difference in the offensive vibe of this team. I think they are a playoff team. I do not think they are a Cup team, but I also know that Jarmo still has most of what he needs to make a significant move at the trade deadline if appropriate. He didn't lose much current cap space (the $1.9 for Roslovic nothwithstanding).

That's part of why I voted Boston - they beat our team that had a shot at winning it all, knowing that team had a 4-month window.
That and I lived in Boston for 5 years, long before the CBJ existed.
I want to see CBJ play Boston this season - that would mean at least a conference final (the equivalent anyway, since there are no conferences this year).

I wouldn't mind seeing CBJ play the 'Peg this year. Probably not a long-term rivalry but would be hoot in this season. And again would mean the equivalent of at least a conference final.

Don't rain on my parade Major. I know there's Koolaid here, just happy to be watching some FUN competitive hockey in the coming months (Covid-permitting). From doom and gloom Friday night/early Sat morning to at least HOPE for the remainder of the season 12-18 hours later is pretty doggone uplifting in the middle of January.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
chainsaw.gif
Watch out she's got a chainsaw!!!

Reactions: Viqsi and EspenK

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The best rivalries develop naturally. There may be a geographic component. There may be an incident that caused an issue between 2 teams. It might be repeated playoff battles.

Tampa and the CBJ are on their way. Sweeping Tampa when everyone had penciled them into the Stanley Cup finals was certainly epic. So was the 5 OT game in the playoffs last year. We play several times this season because of COVID and may have to play in the playoffs. The CBJ and Lightning have the potential of having a genuine, honest to goodness rivalry.

There are some memorable Florida - Ohio battles in other sports (OSU - Miami national championship game, Marlins beating the Indians in the World Series, The Decision, Chris Collinsworth signing with the Tamp Bay Bandits, Urban Meyer coaching OSU) that can add some spice to the budding rivalry.

Plus they probably get annoyed when we go to Florida and honk at their awful drivers, and we hate it when we go to Florida and get stuck behind a Buick going 15 mph below the speed limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad