Poll: What Should Be The Game Plan For Next Year?

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Maybe take the Nash - Columbus route and trade Kessel at the top of his game for a bunch of high picks and promising prospects, Focus on depth at Center and Defense

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Trade Kessel for a young, top pairing TWD to build a top pairing with Rielly. The shut down mid-pairing could be Gunnarsson and Granberg who play a very similar style of game.

Trade Phaneuf+ for young, top liner. I am not sure if a centre can come out of it, but a high scoring forward that can substitute Kessel's numbers.

Trade Bozak, Franson, Lupul, Riemer and possibly McClement ( individually or as a package) for picks, or potential blue chipper(s).

Clarkson ( with salary eaten) for pick(s). He's effective, but we're not ready for his services yet.

Let Bolland walk.

Consider resigning Kulemin.

Maybe go for Stastny @ $6.5 million per.

JVR - Kadri - Top liner
Leivo - Stastny - Kulemin
Ashton - Holland - Trade?
D'Amgio - Centre - Brodie

Rielly - TWD
Gunnarsson - Granberg
Ranger - Call up

Bernier
MacIntyre

YorkshireRose

Apr 9, 2014
Halifax, England
Hi guys, i stopped posting on here a while ago but had to sign back up after yet another embarrassment of a season.
In short, i think Carlyle is decent coach but his job was to make the playoffs and he failed, so he should quit.
Nonis i feel is a good GM, has made some good moves and is taking the team in the right direction plus there is no drama with him like there was with Burke, however, resigning Phaneuf is one of the worst moves since signing jason blake so im 50/50 on whether id like to see him stay or go.
From the beginning of this season ive not liked how we've played, compared to the season before we looked so weak and fragile, i think certain players with no heart and physical edge need trading for players who will give 110 every game even if they arent putting up the same numbers.
Thats just my opinion, feels good to be back moaning about the leafs like it makes a difference.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Chicago? Hossa, Kane say hello.

You mean one of the best 2-way wingers who have been close to a ppg player through out his career with multiple 40 goals seasons and 4 cup final appearances, winning two of them. And Kane, who have an ability to step it up when his team needs him the most? Is it those wingers you speak of? We got nothing like that.

Rebuild this team to be a contender, not just a playoff pretender.

Take notice from Columbus, the most recent rebuilt team who changed their culture and style of play.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Keep Carlyle, shipout all the players that didn't follow his instruction, every one of them regardless who they are. Bring up or trade for prospects, guys who are hungry and willing to listen and do what is asked. Once you have a full team of compliant players, you slowly add veterans one at a time. If the vet doesn't listen, trade or bench him. It's the only way to eradicate the blah blah blah I'm not changing the way I play.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
#1 Build a time machine.

#2 Go back to 2013.

#3 Do not re-sign Bozak.

#4 Do not re-sign Phaneuf.

#5 Do not sign Clarkson.

Since #1 is impossible...

#6 Prepare to miss the playoffs for the next seven years thanks to #3, #4 and #5.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
#1 Build a time machine.

#2 Go back to 2013.

#3 Do not re-sign Bozak.

#4 Do not re-sign Phaneuf.

#5 Do not sign Clarkson.

Since #1 is impossible...

#6 Prepare to miss the playoffs for the next seven years thanks to #3, #4 and #5.

I agree with not doing #4 and #5. #3 was not nearly as bad as #4 and #5.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Realistically?

I would have to clearly evaluate everyone in management. And that means everyone.
Do we need 4 GMs?
Are they doing the best job in the capacity of what they are doing?

Scouts top to bottom
Pro & Amateur
same question.

Coaching staff I personally feel needs to go but at the same time i'd seriously slice off a good chunk from this team. Show that it's not just "Oh we didn't play well, time for a new coach." it's "we didn't show we even wanted to play here, so we're gone." if it means, sell low - then slow low.

then Management top to bottom
GMs
Scouts
Coaching
Upper (Lieweke)

and discuss what they want to be.
1: make the Leafs relevant again
2: create "Leafs" hockey. You can be exciting + play defensive responsible hockey
3: enforce the culture and attitude that if you can not play "Leafs Hockey" you will not be a Leaf. it's not about you, it's never about you, it's about the Logo on your Jersey.
4: Get players who will apply itself to that ideal.

I never want to hear ever again "we were outworked." "we stopped skating" fine, yes you can have an off night or whatever - but not over and over and over again.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Sell some things. Don't be foolish however. People can always smell blood in the water in this city.

Phaneuf needs to go, but don't trade him for peanuts. Same with Franson, his services will be valuable to somebody, don't make it a giveaway sale.

Keep Bernier, Kessel, Bozak, JvR, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Ranger and Gleason (and unfortunately Clarkson because I don't want this team trading away picks/prospects just to get rid of a guy)

If we're going to suck, let's do it right.

Last edited:

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
Give Carlyle one more chance next season, this offseason keep only Bozak, JVR, Kessel, Rielly, Bernier. Trade anyone else.

ForSpareParts*

Other

Fire Carlyle and make a few impact moves.

We still have many square pegs

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
I was just poking around on Capgeek and came up with this as a potential line up for next year. Still has significant cap space (In this instance I've signed both Boyle and Tom Gilbert, when we'd only need to sign one of them. Ranger and Boyle we're a great top pairing in Tampa years ago).

Carlyle's gone, and we smile and welcome Grabovski back into the fold, saying we're were stupid and it won't happen again. Then we immediately put him on the third line (but it's the best third line!). We also make some kind of deal happen around Phaneuf and Yakupov.

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Matt Moulson ($4.600m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($3.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($1.090m) / Jay McClement ($1.700m) / Troy Bodie ($1.100m)
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($1.827m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Paul Ranger ($1.800m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Tom Gilbert ($1.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Jason Labarbera ($1.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,615,209; BONUSES: $3,700,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,484,791

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I was just poking around on Capgeek and came up with this as a potential line up for next year. Still has significant cap space (In this instance I've signed both Boyle and Tom Gilbert, when we'd only need to sign one of them. Ranger and Boyle we're a great top pairing in Tampa years ago).

Carlyle's gone, and we smile and welcome Grabovski back into the fold, saying we're were stupid and it won't happen again. Then we immediately put him on the third line (but it's the best third line!). We also make some kind of deal happen around Phaneuf and Yakupov.

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Matt Moulson ($4.600m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($3.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($1.090m) / Jay McClement ($1.700m) / Troy Bodie ($1.100m)
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($1.827m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Paul Ranger ($1.800m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Tom Gilbert ($1.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Jason Labarbera ($1.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,615,209; BONUSES: $3,700,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,484,791

My guess is you are aiming for Connor McDavid?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Simply try to restock on assets would be my major game plan like we once did by bringing Beauchemin for nothing, taking on the Lombardi contract or bringing in Versteeg for spare parts to resell at the deadline!

This off-season definitely trade Franson and Reimer

Sign a few UFA vets to 1 or 2 year deals with one needing to a veteran Dman like a Robidas, Mitchell, Salo.

If we have cap space left over look at taking on a cap dump to gain an asset (or that can be traded later).

Look at selling high on Gunnarson, Lupul, Kadri next season instead of eventually waiting for their value to decline after next season.

This team can't go from playoff bubble team to contender next season. We simply need to make some nice veteran depth deals this off-season and continue to develop players especially Rielly and Gardiner who have the potential to be those impact players at the top of the lineup we need.

Adding vets on 1 or 2 year deals gives us extra depth to package other pieces like Percy, Finn, Leivo in trades, the vets themselves (like Dallas did with Jagr) or a guy like Gunnarson, Lupul.

As bleak as it looks right now this team has a lot of the pieces to be a contender in just a few seasons.

Top 3 D of Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner
Top Line of Bozak, Kessel, JVR
Top Goaltender in Bernier

Add in 1 or 2 impact players and we could be contenders but need to start lining up the chips by having pieces to eventually get those players by having extra picks in the first 2 rounds, well stocked prospect pool, short terms contracts to deal, etc.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Sign Radim Vrbata after losing all that cap space from the plugs we let walk.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
oh the kiddies are gonna lose it when the cap comes in at around 68 million.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Simply try to restock on assets would be my major game plan like we once did by bringing Beauchemin for nothing, taking on the Lombardi contract or bringing in Versteeg for spare parts to resell at the deadline!

This off-season definitely trade Franson and Reimer

Sign a few UFA vets to 1 or 2 year deals with one needing to a veteran Dman like a Robidas, Mitchell, Salo.

If we have cap space left over look at taking on a cap dump to gain an asset (or that can be traded later).

Look at selling high on Gunnarson, Lupul, Kadri next season instead of eventually waiting for their value to decline after next season.

This team can't go from playoff bubble team to contender next season. We simply need to make some nice veteran depth deals this off-season and continue to develop players especially Rielly and Gardiner who have the potential to be those impact players at the top of the lineup we need.

Adding vets on 1 or 2 year deals gives us extra depth to package other pieces like Percy, Finn, Leivo in trades, the vets themselves (like Dallas did with Jagr) or a guy like Gunnarson, Lupul.

As bleak as it looks right now this team has a lot of the pieces to be a contender in just a few seasons.

Top 3 D of Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner
Top Line of Bozak, Kessel, JVR
Top Goaltender in Bernier

Add in 1 or 2 impact players and we could be contenders but need to start lining up the chips by having pieces to eventually get those players by having extra picks in the first 2 rounds, well stocked prospect pool, short terms contracts to deal, etc.

holey wow.

I just just, ummm wow.

I can't even, wow

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
1. carlyle is fired. someone will need to be the scapegoat. he is the easiest target. he should be replaced with a coach who will be able to maximize the skillset of the players we currently have. i have no idea who might be a good candidate. possibly laviolette?

2. dont overpay for our own 3rd line secondary players.

3. lets see what we have in the kids. we have a handful of pishers who are ready to be given an opportunity -damigo, ashton, holland, and possibly granberg, percy, leivo, and abbott.

4. dont overpay for other peoples 3rd line secondary players.

5. explore trade market for phaneuf. if he can be moved for fair value it might be worth taking 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-leivo/ashton
ashton/leivo-holland-clarkson
damigo-mclemment-bodie

rielly-gunnarson
gardiner-gleason
granberg-ranger
percy

might not make the playoffs but at least there should be hustle and effort and assuming the right coach is brought in...accountability.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Plan for next year is to win. Some off season trades and the Cap rising dramatically will help

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Frustration says, "Blow up everything!"

But the reality is that Randy's defensive system was so mindbogglingly stupid that we have NO idea what our players can do within a proper defensive structure.

Please, just once, can we have a coach that employs a basic, traditional defensive approach? No more 'Fronting!' No more 'Swarm!' Just once, can we have a normal, simple, traditional approach to playing team defense?

If Randy's system is so stupid then how did he win the cup in 07?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Fire Carlyle, and fire Nonis. Bring in Laviolette, and hire a GM who has the balls to trade 90% of this pathetic roster away for draft picks and prospects. Commence long overdue rebuild (picking top 5 should be the goal for the next few years).

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
JVR - Bozak - Kessel (on a whole were a quality line. More depth and their cold streaks aren't crippling)

Xxxx - Kadri - xxxx
Leivo - Holland - Clarkson (albatross move if can)
Bodie - xxxx - Ashton (Role a 4th line that can play 9-10 minutes a game)

I happily move Kadri if we can get someone else equally as young, but with a better attitude and better 2way play.

Gunnar- Phaneuf (albatross contract, move if can, I am a fan of Gunnar)
Gardiner - Granberg
Reilly - Gleason (move if we can)
Ranger (player that actually wants to play in Toronto for cheap)

Bernier
xxxx (Veteran Backup)
I do not want to see a blow up, but I also don't want to see any crappy longterm UFA signings. Short term contracts that we can try and plug players in. Give the kids a chance to play, insulate them the best we can, live with the consequences.

Dcore still sucks. Gotta move Phaneuf. Ughh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad