Poll: What Should Be The Game Plan For Next Year?

Kyle Doobas*

Fire Carlyle, and fire Nonis. Bring in Laviolette, and hire a GM who has the balls to trade 90% of this pathetic roster away for draft picks and prospects. Commence long overdue rebuild (picking top 5 should be the goal for the next few years).
Commence a long-term rebuild with another 'old-school hard-ass' coach with a short shelf life?

I feel like people keep suggesting Laviolette purely because he's the most familiar face not coaching anywhere right now.

Bluejaysfan*

Tank for one of Eichel or McDavid...

We aren't winning a cup anytime soon with this core, there are just too many holes. It has been a while since this team has had a bonafide star that can also be a leader (Sundin). Kessel is great and needs to be here unless there is some offer the Leafs can't refuse but the Leafs need to find someone who can be a heart-and-soul guy, put the team on his back in desperate times, be out there in the final minute of any game scenario. Other than Rielly and maybe JVR, we have nobody that comes close to that.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Only players I would keep are JVR, Reilly, Bernier. Everyone else should be fair game in trade talks.

I want the coach gone.
I want Phaneuf, Franson, Bolland gone.
I would trade Bozak + Kessel in a package for a good #1C if that's even possible.

Bolland? He played well enough before he was injured. His play after he returned wasn't great but what can you expect after an injury like that, a long layoff, and the probability that he was still hurting a bit?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
ultimately I would just dump Carlyle and see what happens with a new coach. Although I don't know who I would bring in.

I wouldn't make drastic changes I would just try to keep adding pieces. We get a player at the top half of the draft, hopefully it's another good piece. Hopefully at least one dman from the Marlies is ready to graduate. Haven't seen him play much, but Granberg has good numbers.

possibly some of the Marlies forwards can come up and fill some of the bottom 6 spots. If Komarov is interested, bring him in. add another depth dman who can squash people. Just find the meanest guy available who is cheap.

I would deal Franson and Reimer rights. I would see if Lupul can help you add to the back end, if not just keep him. I would let McClement and Raymond walk. I would talk to Bolland and Kulemin. Keep them only on reasonable deals. If not let them walk.

Hope for growth from Kadri, Gardiner, and Reilly.

Not expecting the Cup next year

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
One more try:

FORWARDS
JVR ($4.250m) / Bozak ($4.200m) /Kessel ($8.000m) .... They're fine. Accept it.
Lupul ($5.250m) / Kadri ($2.900m) / Clarkson ($5.250m) ... Clarkson probably isn't going anywhere
Raymond ($2.000m) / Grabovski ($2.900m) / Hemsky ($5.000m) ... Bury the hatchet with Grabo, create one of the fastest lines in the NHL
Palat ($1.900m) / McClement ($1.500m) / Kulemin ($2.800m) ... Offer sheet palat from Tampa - all 3 are 2-way, talented, pk-potential guys
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) ... I'd be glad to see phaneuf go but it's unlikely. Get him an upgrade of a partner
Paul Ranger ($1.600m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m) ... Ranger is only getting better, and Gleason lets him get up ice a little more
Jake Gardiner ($1.900m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) ... Let it grow
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Drew MacIntyre ($0.600m)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,056,667; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $43,333

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
One more try:

FORWARDS
JVR ($4.250m) / Bozak ($4.200m) /Kessel ($8.000m) .... They're fine. Accept it.
Lupul ($5.250m) / Kadri ($2.900m) / Clarkson ($5.250m) ... Clarkson probably isn't going anywhere
Raymond ($2.000m) / Grabovski ($2.900m) / Hemsky ($5.000m) ... Bury the hatchet with Grabo, create one of the fastest lines in the NHL
Palat ($1.900m) / McClement ($1.500m) / Kulemin ($2.800m) ... Offer sheet palat from Tampa - all 3 are 2-way, talented, pk-potential guys
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) ... I'd be glad to see phaneuf go but it's unlikely. Get him an upgrade of a partner
Paul Ranger ($1.600m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m) ... Ranger is only getting better, and Gleason lets him get up ice a little more
Jake Gardiner ($1.900m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) ... Let it grow
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Drew MacIntyre ($0.600m)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,056,667; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $43,333

Bringing in Hemsky does not solve any of or defensive woes, but gives us more overpaid soft forwards. Our Dcore doesn't get improved much, and we don't give any new spots for the kids.

socratic

Jun 27, 2011
Bringing in Hemsky does not solve any of or defensive woes, but gives us more overpaid soft forwards. Our Dcore doesn't get improved much, and we don't give any new spots for the kids.

That's fair criticism. Palat is a kid, just not one of ours.
I'd be fine not picking up Hemsky, and then letting Kulemin and D'amigo have that 3rd and 4th line spot.

Effectivly then the "big" moves are bringing back grabo, and an upgrade on D. That still leaves you with a fair bit of pocket change to put to use somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad