Poll: The 2018 Draft

If you could redo the 2018 first round draft pick, which player would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Zadina...if we had drafted Hughes, we wouldn't have drafted Seider :)

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Zadina...if we had drafted Hughes, we wouldn't have drafted Seider :)
I don’t really think that’s true. Yzerman obviously liked Seider a lot. And it’s not like Seider stopped the Wings from taking Edvinsson.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Imagine Seider and Hughes as our current top-pairing. Way to go Kenny...
You’d want Hughes with someone like Staal because, well, you saw Hughes continually blow coverage, get burned, take bad pinches, etc, against an okayish Detroit team. I have Hulu + and isn’t my first Vancouver game.

Slight lean to Hughes for the PP production alone. But I’m still in the camp that their careers for their respective positions will be somewhat similar when all is said and done. I get why people would want Hughes, just don’t put him out there if the game is on the line.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
On draft day I would have taken Zadina, while being super tempted by Boqvist. Now I'd take Hughes of course. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here though, Hughes has turned out better. Everyone knows that.

I'm not even sure that necessarily makes Zadina the wrong pick based on the information at the time of the draft. If you can point out something systemic for the reasons we identified him as a more promising player than he was or that we undervalued Hughes for some reason, then you can form an argument for how we should change our scouting tactics in the future.

I can do this with Rasmussen. He was clearly buoyed in Juniors by his power play production and his size advantage. Thus when scouting a player if the majority of their production is coming on the power play from within a few feet of the net and they're three inches taller than just about anyone in their draft, I'll tell you that their production is a lot less impressive than it seems and we should really look at the skills before we take them. Then with Ras, you'd have seen he wasn't a great skater, wasn't a great passer and wasn't a great shooter. These were all criticisms we had before the draft.

Based on draft day information, what did we miss with Zadina? His goals being too dependent on shot volume and too concentrated in the circles? Maybe him not having great speed for his size?

If you want to argue we should have taken Hughes, that's only interesting if you can give reasons why that aren't dependent on us being five years in the future. Then the next time when we're picking between a player with Zadina's profile, and one with Hughes, we can make the right choice. As things stand today, I'm pretty sure I'd end up taking the guy with Zadina's profile because I can't identify anything wrong with the choice besides the result.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was really pissed with the state of the team at the time that we took a winger but we were also taking no lube lottery thrusts at that time we should have had a shot at Tkachuk too :( So we were just taking it from all ends. Terrible GM, terrible hockey, terrible contracts, terrible drafts. Memorable for all the wrong reasons :)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wanted Hughes solely because Michigan defenseman. But given him and Zadina there, I probably go Zadina just like the Wings do. I would have figured I was blinded by the maize and blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad