[Poll] Should Toronto trade their 1st OA 2023 pick before season starts?

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Don’t think we will miss the playoffs but with a draft that has Bedard and Michkov I’m keeping that 1st just incase

Reactions: Confucius

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes, Leafs 1st + Muzzin + Holl + Kerfoot for Makar

Sorry OP but I find these kinds of threads pretty ridiculous. Totally depends on what the return is. Is it another Foligno type player ? f*** no. Is it an impact player that'll actually help us make a deep playoff run ? Yes. You can't answer this question without knowing what the return is.

Reactions: Ciao

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There aren't many trades I would move the pick for. Would need to be a youngish guy under a multi year contract (or at least RFA if only 1 year left on the deal) and who fit a very specific team need.

Realistically, I don't see a trade happening where I would be willing to move the pick.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I'm just going to say no. Rather than trying to dream up a situation where it pays off big time i'll look at previous results as to the kind of impact it would have.
That makes the no vote an obvious choice.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs have no cap space to be dealing high picks for a return in player and contract.

Leafs need to be dealing contracts/players for futures right not to become cap complaint.

Leaffan197703

May 29, 2021
If they trade their first round pick it would most likely be top 10 protected. Dubas would have to be under a rock to not insist on lottery protection especially with Tampa Bay and Florida who traded their first round pick both got top 10 protection

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The league overvalues draft capital - hold onto that pick, and then use it later in the year / closer to the deadline, to see what you can shake lose and add to your team once you accrue more cap space.

To simply ask the question about the 1st rounder, without any sort of potential return, is just a silly question and a pointless thread - for Chychrun? Sure. For a 3C? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Rocker13

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I would if it meant an impact player. I'd honestly say keep Holl and move Robertson + Sandin + our first in a package for an impact top line forward or top 3 dman if they were available.

Oilers got over the hump when they added two more top 6 forwards. Not like their stars weren't producing before, but they needed multiple top line forwards to get the depth needed to win.

If we are confident one of Knies will be a top 6 forward for us this year, I say go out and get the best player you can on 1 or 2 year term and go all in. I think the next 2 years impacts the direction of our franchise. Being a complete failure and having Matthews walk for free would do irreversible damage to the Leafs franchise. We're the f***ing Leafs not a backwater nobody franchise like the Islanders who can't retain their stars.

Someone like JT Miller I would target with our first and one of our young assets not Knies. Or Chyhrun.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
First off, OA stands for overall. Toronto doesn't own the 2023 1st overall pick. The term you're looking for is 1st round pick.

The answer is no. Trading 1st rounders in general is very dumb and usually wrong. There are cases where it might make sense, but if the only piece of info I have is you traded you 1st round pick then 90% chance it was dumb.

Reactions: Confucius

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Considering we Basically havent had a 1st in 3 seasons after Amirov had his unfortunate health issues, I wouldn't wanna trade another. Especially since this draft is supposed to be deep.

But I can see Dubas going all in at deadline for a JT Miller or Patrick Kane. There comes a time when you gotta go for the big fish and I think this year we will. His job is on the line for sure, we say that every year and nothing changes though.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Isn't this a question that can only be answered when we know what it's being used for? You can't go into deals with the intention of dealing your 1st round pick for the best thing you can get, because you are going to end up with a handful of Pierre Dorion's poop. It's like walking onto a used car lot and telling the guy with too much cologne that you have 50 thousand to spend.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Don’t worry, Dumbas will keep throwing away our future to correct his f*** ups.

He’ll probably attach it to Murray this offseason.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If we are bad enough to end up in a position to draft 1st overall, the only way you even entertain trading it is if you know Matthews will be re-signing on the opening of free-agency when he becomes eligible for his extension. Because, if that doesn't happen, you aren't trading for immediate results.

It really depends on the return. But, given the cap parameters it would essentially have to be an already elite young RHD still on an ELC. Basically Seider if he takes a further step forward, and even then you are going to have to pay him a huge amount in a year, whereas while unproven players still have risk, with a first overall Bedard gives you 3 cheap ELC years. Not even going to speculate on Michkov, as I have no idea what the Western world's relationship with Russia will be in 2 months let alone 12, and he's tied to CSKA I believe until 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad