POLL -- playoffs this year or regular timetable next

Playoffs this year?

• Total voters

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
What would you rather have?

CHOICE A - playoffs this year and a delayed start of next season (which will then push those playoffs into the summer)

OR

CHOICE B - No playoffs this year and a normal start to the 2020/21 season

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I think the question is misleading because it suggests if we cancel the playoff tournament we’ll be able to start the regular season as normal in October. I don’t think that’s realistic.

That said, if we set aside the pandemic and assume the regular season could go ahead in the fall, I’m still on the side of the playoff tournament. The goal of any season is to win the cup. IMO cancelling the playoffs is effectively throwing out the season. Reducing the regular season to 50-60 games is a relatively minor change in comparison.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I think the question is misleading because it suggests if we cancel the playoff tournament we’ll be able to start the regular season as normal in October. I don’t think that’s realistic.

That said, if we set aside the pandemic and assume the regular season could go ahead in the fall, I’m still on the side of the playoff tournament. The goal of any season is to win the cup. IMO cancelling the playoffs is effectively throwing out the season. Reducing the regular season to 50-60 games is a relatively minor change in comparison.

According to a tweet by Lebrun they are going to cram a full 82 game season in and then the playoffs which means a summer playoffs

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
According to a tweet by Lebrun they are going to cram a full 82 game season in and then the playoffs which means a summer playoffs

That’s fine too, although my first choice would be to shorten the season to reset the schedule. I would still have the same answer, finishing the playoffs trumps almost everything.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think people need to realize that it’s not one, or the other. The virus isn’t going away.

You can’t cancel the playoffs and come back in October and have everything be sunshine and rainbows.

If the players don’t want to play until there’s a vaccine that’s fine, but they’ll need to cancel the playoffs and next season too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Then the season after players are going to have to start again on minimal rest.

IMO best option is have this season as planned, and start the 2020-2021 season in January of 2020, do a lockout style season and have everything run on a normal schedule. Then you can start the 2021-2022 season in October like normal.

Reactions: leafsfan5

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, i could go for shortening the regular season anyway. So yeah...let's do some playoffs and finish this season off, after playing way more than enough of it. Not just throw all of that play away like it never mattered at all. Then run a shortened 2020-21 season. Best of both worlds.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think you can have a proper season until there's a vaccine. The proposed playoff format is probably the most realistic way to see hockey for a while, so we may as well give it a try

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
A easily. Scrapping the season after already awarding the bad team with high draft picks is a pretty big screw job for the good teams.
NHL needs the revenue

could see how fans of teams like ottawa and detroit would want to just start fresh next year tho lol

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The regular season is a time-waster and full of filler games. There’s no entertainment in any game against the western conference, and little in games against nonrivals. If there were 8 games against the Rangers, Penguins, etc. like there should, the regular season might have some value.

Playoffs easily.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don’t see how regular season can happen without better treatment / vaccine. You can keep the players in a bubble for the playoffs, heck half the players will be sent home in two weeks. You obviously can’t maintain a true bubble for the whole season. Even with daily testing you are gonna get an outbreak at some point...and then what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad