Speculation: Poll: Nolan Era

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I
He's completely ruined Cody Hodgson.

Our tradeable assets are losing value:

@DaveDavisHockey · 2h 2 hours ago
Today on Calgary radio, Friedman discussed Stewart's problems in Buffalo & said potential trade partners are getting "scared away" from him.

He's a garbage coach. He always has been and he always will be.

It has nothing to do with the players themselves, right?

It's all on Nolan that they're totally underwhelming?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I expect Girgensons, Ristolainen and Zadorov to be good no matter who the coach is.

He's completely ruined Cody Hodgson.

successful? Not related to coach
unsuccessful? Related to coach

You can keep saying it, and dressing it up in different ways... but really, you're just giving everyone a performance in "confirmation bias"

Our tradeable assets are losing value:

@DaveDavisHockey · 2h 2 hours ago
Today on Calgary radio, Friedman discussed Stewart's problems in Buffalo & said potential trade partners are getting "scared away" from him.

Did everyone point and laugh at the stupidity of that tweet?
GMs don't scout the box score.

He's a garbage coach. He always has been and he always will be.

carry that flag

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I have always believed that he has been brought in to be exactly what he is doing, he is the tank commander.

At the end of the season, if we secure McEichel, IMO, he will be the best Sabres coach ever. He would of done a fantastic job.

We secure, McEichel, plus 4 other picks in the top 50, it's time to win, the tanking part of the rebuild is over. We bring in our future coach, correct the attitude in the room, let all of the UFA's go, and we switch to the win-now mode.

Bye-bye Nolan, thanks for helping, I hope your 2 year stint as coach has helped you secure another job in the NHL, you're a good guy.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
successful? Not related to coach
unsuccessful? Related to coach

You can keep saying it, and dressing it up in different ways... but really, you're just giving everyone a performance in "confirmation bias"

Did everyone point and laugh at the stupidity of that tweet?
GMs don't scout the box score.

carry that flag
I don't think Stewart's dropping value is to blame on Nolan, but a lot more than the box score this year says he's not going to be in high demand. What do you peg his value as?

Pads of Irbe

Nov 26, 2014
There is few things i do not understand with Nolan (comparing Latvian NT and Sabres):

He discovered some very good players back in Latvia that were overlooked/written off by other coaches (Indrasis, Kristers "Teh Bane of team Canada" Gudlevskis), yet he looks uterly incompetent in Buffalo (mismanagement of Larson, Hodgson playing worst hockey of his career, sitting out Zadorov at the start of the season).

Team Latvia played fast, sharp counter-attack hockey (WC after Olympics, for example) or ultimate trap hockey (famous game versus Canada), there were at least few really original and efective plays (goal vs Canada, powerplay goal vs USA @WC), for most of the times you could actually see some tactics, X and O's. Buffalo? Again, not the case, powerplay shows it all..

At last, Noland made team Latvia believe that they can play (and win) even the best teams around (win vs Switzerland, nail bitting match vs Canada, victories against USA and Finland @ WC. Buffalo? One crazy streak (Enroth!) and that's pretty much it. Yes, some guys fight and compete to the bitter end, but rest of them usually looks beaten well before the end of the game.

Either he lost his mojo, or he never had one. Maybe all the Latvian NT thing had nothing to do with Nolan.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think Stewart's dropping value is to blame on Nolan, but a lot more than the box score this year says he's not going to be in high demand. What do you peg his value as?

He's not going to be in very high demand, just like he wasn't in high demand last year.

Stewart is Stewart, and Nolan has nothing to do with his trade value.

Hemsky was having a horrid year in Edmonton on a bad team... He'd been on the trade market forever... no one wanted him. He went at the deadline for a 3rd and a 5th.

Stewart is doing even less, on an even worse team... Hemsky brough a speed element, Stewart brings a power element.

I think the trade value should be similar.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He discovered some very good players back in Latvia that were overlooked/written off by other coaches (Indrasis, Kristers "Teh Bane of team Canada" Gudlevskis)
That is incorrect, he didn't "discover" them. They weren't overlooked or written off by other coaches, as they were both juniors/prospects and simply weren't ready for the national team pre-2011.

yet he looks uterly incompetent in Buffalo (mismanagement of Larson, Hodgson playing worst hockey of his career, sitting out Zadorov at the start of the season).
In what way is Nolan "utterly incompetent"? How is Larsson being "mismanaged"? In what way has Nolan made Hodgson play so terrible?

As far as I know, scratching Zadorov was based on his off-ice issues.

Team Latvia played fast, sharp counter-attack hockey (WC after Olympics, for example) or ultimate trap hockey (famous game versus Canada), there were at least few really original and efective plays (goal vs Canada, powerplay goal vs USA @WC)
Team Latvia lost 4 out of 5 matches in Sochi, which is on par with Buffalo's record. :)

If you had watched more Sabres games, you'd know that they've tried to use that exact same play they used with Kulda and Darzins a few times this season.

There's plenty of creative, highlight-reel goals scored by the Sabres.

for most of the times you could actually see some tactics, X and O's. Buffalo? Again, not the case
Other than sticking to Nolan's typical blue-collar hockey, about what tactics specifically are you talking about?

At last, Noland made team Latvia believe that they can play (and win) even the best teams around (win vs Switzerland, nail bitting match vs Canada, victories against USA and Finland @ WC. Buffalo? One crazy streak (Enroth!) and that's pretty much it. Yes, some guys fight and compete to the bitter end, but rest of them usually looks beaten well before the end of the game.
What works in a short international tournament, doesn't work the same way when you have to play 82 games in a row.

The Sabres have nothing to play for anymore (from a tournament perspective) and it's early January.

If someone straight up refuses to play the game you want them to play (Stewart is a prime example), there's nothing you can do as a coach other than giving more ice time to a less skilled player.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I learned to not care what Nolan does.. I want bad...he's giving me bad. ... I just wish he'd shut up

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He's not going to be in very high demand, just like he wasn't in high demand last year.

Hemsky was having a horrid year in Edmonton on a bad team... He'd been on the trade market forever... no one wanted him. He went at the deadline for a 3rd and a 5th.

Stewart is doing even less, on an even worse team... Hemsky brough a speed element, Stewart brings a power element.

I agree with that. Maybe a little lower than a third and a fifth, especially considering the stronger draft.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

Theres a name I havent heard at all this year. Didnt even realize where he was playing.

ZeroPT*

I personally don't want him back next year. He's fine for a rebuilding team and he does have a positive effect on most players games. The headless chicken running around system won't work though. We need more structure and someone who has built a proper system. Another thing that kinda bugs me is the really random line combos. I mean, Grigorenko with Stewart and CoHo makes no sense. You have possibly the mos inconsistent NHLer and the slowest one with a kid who's not exactly Carl Hagelin. Why not put him with Stafford and say a guy like Flynn who aren't possession black holes? It also took him a real long time to adjust the MGE line. They haven't been great in the last 12 or so games (well, no one has) and Girgensons especially is going through growing pains. Break up the line. Mix it up. It took a 6 game losing skid and ECHL level hockey at times to do this. And 40+ shots a night is also, a no-no.

My targets range from junior coaches to AHL to assitants:
John Stevens (LA assistant)
Larry Robinson (Director of player personnel in SJ, former assistant and did wonders for Vlasic's game)
Scott Walker (Guelph in the OHL)
Jeff Blashill (Grand Rapids coach)
Benoit Groux (Gatineau GM+coach)

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
If we get McDavid, with Reinhart and Girgensons already in the system, MAYBE Babcock becomes an option. We can pay as much as Toronto will. I still think he stays in Detroit tho.

As for Nolan, I voted fire at end of Season, but really he may be back next season if Babcock isnt an option.

Pads of Irbe

Nov 26, 2014
In what way has Nolan made Hodgson play so terrible?

How else could one of the teams top scorers play so bad this season if not a complete mismanagement?

Zadorov - well, Nolan used Benoit and Mess instead of Zadorov, for **** sake. Larson never had better linemates than 4th/3rd line grinders.

About Indrasis, Gudlevskis - who else would dare to give them such important roles? Yet @Sabres this season only Armia did have some quality linemates (for 1 game!), while Grigo played with 3rd line and Larson - 4th. That's just inconsistent. At one point he's ready to give some 20-year olde guy starting goaly job vs Canada, at other - to put promising prospects with 3rd/4th line.

Tactics? Apart from copying Kulda-Darzins move, what other tactical flexibility by Sabres have you seen? Yes, I have not seen a lot of Sabres games (9 or 10 this season), but those games were tactical twins - dump and chase, dump and chase, compete over 9000, fail miserably at some point. Even the win streak was based on terrific goaltending and GEM line (which is now just GE line, or even Eg line).

Last edited:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 7 minutes ago
So Ted Nolan chatted with Tim Murray during practice, then left the ice a minute ago. #Sabres

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 51 seconds ago
Something is clearly up. Stay tuned!

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 25 seconds ago
Ted's back on the ice!

Stewart is not practicing? At first was wondering if it was coaching related.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 7 minutes ago
So Ted Nolan chatted with Tim Murray during practice, then left the ice a minute ago. #Sabres

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 51 seconds ago
Something is clearly up. Stay tuned!

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 25 seconds ago
Ted's back on the ice!

Stewart is not practicing? At first was wondering if it was coaching related.

Never heard of a coach being fired during practice. If it's not all a red herring, had to be a trade.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 6m6 minutes ago
Ted Nolan says he left practice for talk with GM Tim Murray to discuss who is available to join Sabres with Amerks, callups overworked.

Makes sense. Lot of shuffling back and forth to get in extra games for some guys.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not to be a stickler but "Should of never been hired" should not be in the poll as it is not contrary to any option. Someone could hold that opinion and still select any of the other options,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad