Poll: Most hated CBJ person in CBJ history

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Most Hated CBJ People (Candidates)

From the 2008 draft thread Matthew started something that looked like fun. Let's run this like the prospect ranking threads.

Let's make a top 5 most hated CBJ people in CBJ history. Post here to add more candidates. This will close tomorrow at 2 PM EST and the first poll will open then.

Candidates so far that will go to the polls:

Jeff Carter
Adam Foote
Doug Maclean
Nikita Filatov
Nikolai Zherdev
Krzsystof Oliwa
Jan Hrdina
Bryan Berard
Rick Nash (I had to include this for fun)
Christian Backman
Anson Carter
Aaron Johnson
Stefan Legin
Alex Svitov
Scott Howson
Mike Priest
Boomer
Jeff Rimer
Bill Davidage
George Matthews
Mike Todd
Steve Mason

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
IMO there are only two truly hate-able former Jackets. Foote and Carter. With Oliwa and Berard being somewhat hate-able. The rest of your list I find some to be dislikable (Maclean, Legin and Filatov), a few I not longer have strong feelings about (Zherdev, Hrdina, Backman, A. Carter, Johnson) and one that I still like to this day (Svitov).

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
From the 2008 draft thread Matthew started something that looked like fun. Let's run this like the prospect ranking threads.

Let's make a top 5 most hated CBJ people in CBJ history. Post here to add more candidates. This will close tomorrow at 2 PM EST and the first poll will open then.

Candidates so far that will go to the polls:

Jeff Carter
Adam Foote
Doug Maclean - No
Nikita Filatov - No
Nikolai Zherdev - No
Krzsystof Oliwa
Jan Hrdina - No
Bryan Berard - No
Rick Nash (I had to include this for fun) - No
Christian Backman - No
Anson Carter
Aaron Johnson - No
Stefan Legin
Alex Svitov - No

Without Howson this list can't be considered remotely complete. I would add Vyborny as the only person that truly hates that guy. If I have a beer with anyone sometime I will even tell you why.

Most of the people on the list aren't really even candidates.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Jeff Carter - This guy can go straight to hell and never come back

Adam Foote - This guy too

Doug Maclean - I'll say yes for two reasons. One is that he did a pretty poor job building a team; he forgot the old adage to "perform within yourself". He was a good coach, not so good as the guy making personnel decisions. But more so than anything is the fact that he's conducted himself in a manner befitting a jackass ever since then. He can't say that he didn't have chances in Columbus, or enough control, or time, so his bitterness six years later is entirely misplaced.

Nikita Filatov - For basically convincing everyone that he was the anti-Zherdev and then doing less positive and more negative than Zherdev ever did, **** this guy too.

Nikolai Zherdev - I got nothing against him.

Krzsystof Oliwa - Eh.

Jan Hrdina - Poor player on the ice, not enough to be "hated".

Bryan Berard - No.

Rick Nash (I had to include this for fun) - No.

Christian Backman - No. Again, poor player on the ice.

Anson Carter - No.

Aaron Johnson - No.

Stefan Legin - I can't honestly fault a 19-year-old kid for not knowing what he wanted to do with his life. Players of all levels, including MLB Hall of Famers, have had some type of career crisis early on (Paul Molitor explored retiring from baseball and becoming a pro golfer when he was 20, then followed that with years of hard drug use).

Alex Svitov - We have no idea how much damage John Tortorella did to Svitov in such a short time. I'm not convinced that he was ever going to become much of anything anyway, or that he would have had any trade value; he'd pretty much settled into a niche role by that point.

Scott Howson - Is this a joke?

Mike Priest - Until the whole story of what's gone on behind the scenes becomes known, this is simply a guess.

Boomer - Never has something that lived only 10 days been so reviled.

Jeff Rimer - No.

Bill Davidage - No.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Mike Todd?

A brush up on a few names.

Oliwa - General *******. Didn't want to be in Columbus period. Fought with teammates. His trade landed the pick for Aaron Johnson, which at the time seemed like a steal.
Stefan Legein- Retired from hockey to work at a pizza joint. Does not play well with others. Zenon Konopka had to slap him around in Syracuse. Has never played an NHL game and probably never will.
Bryan Berard- Steroids. Back problems. Snipped Columbus after leaving when they were the only org. that would give him a 2 year deal.
Anson Carter - Should not be on the list. He contributed the greatest Holiday Music Album of all time and was better than Zherdev.
Jan Hrdina- Hooking.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
IMO, Carter is way ahead of Foote on the D-bag scale. Carter was a tanker from day one, while Foote put in some good work up until the issues at the trade deadline. Even Douggie Big Head did a lot of good for the hockey community while he was here.

Carter. Nobody else is even close.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If I ever meet you in person, I will kindly consider explaining to you, in depth, why this guy is a complete **** bag.

Don't ruin Mayor's gimmick, blah.

It may be a Foote v J. Carter race.

Foote probably did want to be here, at least to start. He never sulked in his Colorado mansion for a week before coming here. On the other hand, Jeffy didn't exactly have a private jet waiting to wisk him off to his boy toy in LA either.

The Mike Richards/Jeff Carter theme song
:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
If I ever meet you in person, I will kindly consider explaining to you, in depth, why this guy is a complete **** bag.

I was going more for the "only guy who's still active with the team" angle. Every player on that list is somewhere else outside of the CBJ organization, the announcers don't have any say on the on-ice product and generally have much more limited interactions with the public, and the rest are uninvolved miscellaneous (a former GM, a deposed mascot, and a deposed team president).

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Without Howson this list can't be considered remotely complete. I would add Vyborny as the only person that truly hates that guy. If I have a beer with anyone sometime I will even tell you why.

I would love to take you up on that offer some time. Had figured out that it is a personal thing, as I just can't think the revile stems solely from a Hockey POV.

Your posts would indicate you as more rational that that. Not to say it's not warranted, would have to know the back story.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I want to add something here. I do not hate Priest or Howson. That does not mean that I don't believe that Howson should be fired, I do.

Why?

I think Priest has done a remarkable job keeping corporate sponsors on board with this disaster of a sports franchise. He has been quite an asset on the business side of things. From what we have surmised, and JD's hiring confirmed, was that he was not good on the hockey side.

Howson has failed to deliver, that is true. But who is the real culprit here?

The culprit for both of these guys is JPM. He put Priest in a position that he never should have been in, and he has given Howson way more chances than he has deserved, or earned.

The saving grace for JPM is that he is finally engaged and trying to fix these problems. I am sure he has given JD the green light to do whatever he thinks he must do with Howson.

RickS

Sep 19, 2005
Foote probably did want to be here, at least to start. He never sulked in his Colorado mansion for a week before coming here. On the other hand, Jeffy didn't exactly have a private jet waiting to wisk him off to his boy toy in LA either.
]

Didn't Foote sign here as a free agent? He wanted to be here. Well, then, anyway.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Oliwa and Foote top my list....

while Carts may not have wanted to be here, he still scored a lot (on and off the ice) 15g in 39 games far outweighs anything anyone else has done here as far as pace...and even being injured twice...i'm not saying throw a parade, but there are far worse players that dogged it here...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
1. Adam Foote - He signed here. He accepted the "C", then he quit. edit - not sure why I put A
2. Carter - I partially can't blame him for being upset geting traded here - Philly screwed him with the out in the contract, and then getting traded to the worst team in the league couldn't be fun. But he's a pro athlete, making millions of dollars - act like a pro, not a whiny lil *****.
3. Nash - I know this won't be popular but he was the captain, the most skilled player we have (by far) and he quit. Good guy, but I won't cheer for him.
T4 - Doug
T4 - Howson
I'll lump Doug and Howson together just for their mismanagement of the team. A few examples is how they handled Zherdev (they ignored him off the ice until he became public enemy #1, so glad I never have to hear that dang russian techno music blaring at 4am when he got home from the bars), how they handled Filatov (he was a kid and Howson and his agent weren't smart enough to have his condo set up with cable or internet, literally the kid was hanging out in the hallway his first few days in cbus stealing wifi from his neighbor so he could chat with his buddies), how they ignored Mason when he had Mono his rookie year (literally one of his neighbors had to bring him meals until his parents made it to town, still have no idea why the team would just leave him out there), to how little they helped some families (big reason why Svitov left was him and his girlfriend/fiance had a tramatic situation with their child and she didn't know how to dial 911, again a neighbor who was a nurse heard her screaming and had to assist them). Amazing how inept they were/are in handling situations and taking care of their players. Howson seems to have a better handle on it now but early on he was as bad/worse than Doug.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
1. Adam Foote - He signed here. He accepted the "A", then he quit.

Look I am not going to defend Foote. His final actions over the last week were not professional, even if it didn't really bother me. Having said that, he was made certain promises when he was signed here that were not followed through on. He had every right to want to move on that late in his career. He could have done it better, but I don't really like this "he quit" mantra. He played hard here during his contract. That is more than can be said with guys like Carter and that asshat Sydor.

To be honest, his career was winding down and we got something for him. Something pretty decent. It all worked out fine.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I vote for the guys in the ref shirts who incessantly bang on the glass.
Them I hate.
The rest who cares. They were here; they are gone. Good riddance.

DaveCBJ

Boom. Outta here.
Jun 27, 2011
The people that decided beer should now cost $9.25 didn't make this list?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The people that decided beer should now cost $9.25 didn't make this list?

Cheap beer led to massive intoxication at games (and an extremely unpleasant atmosphere), so the high price of beer is a way to check this issue. If someone wants to get hammered at a game, it's going to cost them big-time.

It's been this way for about 30 years in all sports for this very reason. It also coincided with a big crackdown on how long of a leash that ushers and security will give someone who's intoxicated.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
1. Adam Foote - He signed here. He accepted the "A", then he quit.
2. Carter - I partially can't blame him for being upset geting traded here - Philly screwed him with the out in the contract, and then getting traded to the worst team in the league couldn't be fun. But he's a pro athlete, making millions of dollars - act like a pro, not a whiny lil *****.
3. Nash - I know this won't be popular but he was the captain, the most skilled player we have (by far) and he quit. Good guy, but I won't cheer for him.
T4 - Doug
T4 - Howson
I'll lump Doug and Howson together just for their mismanagement of the team. A few examples is how they handled Zherdev (they ignored him off the ice until he became public enemy #1, so glad I never have to hear that dang russian techno music blaring at 4am when he got home from the bars), how they handled Filatov (he was a kid and Howson and his agent weren't smart enough to have his condo set up with cable or internet, literally the kid was hanging out in the hallway his first few days in cbus stealing wifi from his neighbor so he could chat with his buddies), how they ignored Mason when he had Mono his rookie year (literally one of his neighbors had to bring him meals until his parents made it to town, still have no idea why the team would just leave him out there), to how little they helped some families (big reason why Svitov left was him and his girlfriend/fiance had a tramatic situation with their child and she didn't know how to dial 911, again a neighbor who was a nurse heard her screaming and had to assist them). Amazing how inept they were/are in handling situations and taking care of their players. Howson seems to have a better handle on it now but early on he was as bad/worse than Doug.

Good info, nice to see you posting again.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Jeff Carter. I didn't blame him for his behavior immediately after the trade. He signed a long-term deal with a NTC at a home town discount and was flat out told by Holmgren shortly before he was dealt that he would not be traded. He got screwed by the Flyers and I can't blame a guy for being upset about that. It was his behavior and demeanor after that point that really got me to dislike the guy.

I put him ahead of Foote simply because Foote actually let us get something for him. He played hard while he was here and at least gave us an opportunity to get something for him even though he easily could have waited until after the season ended and just signed in Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad