Poll: How many combined points will Duchene and Johansen end the year with

How many combined points will Duchene and Johansen end the year with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
God damn, it makes me sad to see Joey fade away like this. I truly believed he'd have a huge bounce back year..

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
God damn, it makes me sad to see Joey fade away like this. I truly believed he'd have a huge bounce back year..
he will scoop up a 3 point game against detroit and put him on pace for his normal 50 point season in a full 82 game year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You'd want them at least at 80 to even be within range of their contract values, right? 40-ish each. So just like every time we fall behind 3-0 or 4-1 or whatever in a game, we can keep telling ourselves... uh... that's not impossible to come back from, right? They're doing everything right, working hard, the points will come.
:dunno:

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hard to say for sure. But they are getting tons of icetime, with all the best wingers, with all the best PP time. One can make an argument that they've been "snakebitten" to some extent as they've had ample scoring chances that just haven't gone in.
Just my uninformed opinion from watching the first 2 periods last night (stated this in the GDT, as well): I'm sure there are issues from a coaching level and maybe even team composition, but I noticed that there just weren't a ton of players engaging in puck battles. Haula looked like the only one that cared and that just ended up translating into taking a bad penalty on the Cirelli interference.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just my uninformed opinion from watching the first 2 periods last night (stated this in the GDT, as well): I'm sure there are issues from a coaching level and maybe even team composition, but I noticed that there just weren't a ton of players engaging in puck battles. Haula looked like the only one that cared and that just ended up translating into taking a bad penalty on the Cirelli interference.
I think that's what got us so engaged in the latter part of the previous game we played against Tampa... suddenly there was urgency, battles, physicality, from all players across multiple shifts. I don't think we've seen that in so long that we forgot what it looked like. And so we got hopeful that we'd see a continuation in Game 2. And then it was back to the usual Country Club style, where occasionally some players had a better shift, and then took some off, and then when the other team finally sat back with a cushy lead somehow that partially re-energized our team. It has been like that for several years, really.

And I can see how it would become disheartening when our battles do seemingly translate into nothing but disaster for us... battle hard and take a penalty = the other team scores on the PP... battle hard and draw a penalty = we can't capitalize on the PP. The team made some changes to try to address this very issue, and yet the abject failure of the special teams play is completely neutering it. And that's something that is on the coaching for sure.

Breaking the Country Club atmosphere is something we've pondered here for a while. First it was change the coach. Ok, done. Then we really mixed up the supporting role players this year, but without touching the core. Ok, done. Now it's still early enough that maybe we can't write that off as a conclusively failed experiment just yet. But early returns are definitely worrisome.

Assuming they don't fire the coach, then next step is that I think they have to shake up some of the core players. Maybe Duchene is newer and more "energetic looking" on the ice than Johansen, but in terms of this thread's subject material, they are definitely core players who should be on the hot seat in that context. I've said it in a few threads elsewhere, but as of today anyway I would have no qualms whatsoever about leaving both of them exposed to Seattle in the expansion draft.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Breaking the Country Club atmosphere

This is something I've been thinking on a lot lately. All these guys are good players and good people, but they've pretty much all been paid, guaranteed long-term deals. Add on too that Nashville has to be one of the easier markets to play in, there's almost no pressure here, players can be pretty comfortable off the ice, the media is tissue soft and a lot of the fan base is either still in their honeymoon from the SCF and President's Trophy, or still just happy to have a team that isn't in danger of relocation.

Those things can be overcome with the right mix of players, but when your key pieces are the main culprits, that spreads to the rest of the team.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
the media is tissue soft and a lot of the fan base is either still in their honeymoon from the SCF and President's Trophy, or still just happy to have a team that isn't in danger of relocation.

Every question is some form of flattery followed by absolutely the biggest softball question.

"Matt, you are really working hard right now, but the bounces just aren't going your way, how do you keep your head up and keep going?"

"Roman, I know you guys are putting in the work with the power play, do you feel like it's going to break loose at some point?"

Straight kid gloves. There's not even a point to listening to it. Same bullshit every interview. We get the same crap with the play by play and color commentary. Gill seems to be the only guy that is willing to say this turd stinks.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Can we fire Daunic while we're at it? He seems like a nice enough guy, but he still hasn't learned a damn thing about hockey and his constant puffery about what's happening on the ice is a disservice to the fanbase. I'd kill to have Pete and Terry back, but I'd settle for Pete and Gill if they'd make that happen.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Our media coverage definitely sucks but that's what happens when the guys shouldn't really be in those positions and controlled by the team.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Our media coverage definitely sucks but that's what happens when the guys shouldn't really be in those positions and controlled by the team.
Isn't that the way it is for most teams, though? I mean, it's part of the overall marketing strategy for a team, so I get it, you expect them to want to promote the team and accentuate the positives. It can get a little bit annoying at times, but I don't think I'd really expect a change.

Now, if your team is big enough that they are more of a National Market, and are covered beyond locally, then that's more like when you get some less biased coverage, perhaps. But that's not us. :dunno:

I got 2 goals for us last night by muting the broadcast when the praise for the team down 4-0 got to be a little much. It worked out pretty well, nobody had to get fired. :propeller

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Isn't that the way it is for most teams, though? I mean, it's part of the overall marketing strategy for a team, so I get it, you expect them to want to promote the team and accentuate the positives. It can get a little bit annoying at times, but I don't think I'd really expect a change.

Now, if your team is big enough that they are more of a National Market, and are covered beyond locally, then that's more like when you get some less biased coverage, perhaps. But that's not us. :dunno:

I got 2 goals for us last night by muting the broadcast when the praise for the team down 4-0 got to be a little much. It worked out pretty well, nobody had to get fired. :propeller
Usually there is other media around teams, we basically have Vigan and that ain't much.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
It would seem that there is no other choice but hope for bounce back years from both of them going forward. Both have been inconsistent in their careers. It wouldn't surprise me if both had a random good year in the next couple years. If we could both going at the same time then we would really be cooking.

Last edited:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Can’t explain Duchene. He looks like he’s trying. Johansen is scary because he looks like the league’s team speed has passed him by.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Can’t explain Duchene. He looks like he’s trying. Johansen is scary because he looks like the league’s team speed has passed him by.
i think Duchene is trying too hard. Trying to do it all himself at times. The skill is there and he’s still a good enough skater for this league.

Johansen as you said is more worrisome to me. he had a great run in the playoffs 4 years ago that seems to buy him a pass but he isn’t getting any faster.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
i think Duchene is trying too hard. Trying to do it all himself at times. The skill is there and he’s still a good enough skater for this league.

Johansen as you said is more worrisome to me. he had a great run in the playoffs 4 years ago that seems to buy him a pass but he isn’t getting any faster.
He has that whole Colin Wilson-esque inexplicably puts up points in the playoffs thing going on. He was genuinely good during that one run, outside of that it feels like he probably produces because of who he plays with/what situations he's in as much as any elevating of his game.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Maybe that is just how he is all the time? It's funny we've got one of them who tries too hard to do it all himself, and fails. Then the other one doesn't try hard enough sometimes and goes out of the way to pass off the puck and NOT do it all himself even when he should.
:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad