Poll: Do you believe the Sabres will win the lottery and draft McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think the Sabres will win the lottery. I think whoever ends up 28th or 27th will win it. Saying that, I do think Buffalo gets Eichel. Regardless of the outcome, people will have some kind of conspiracy theory of why they(whoever wins) won and will convince themselves that it was rigged, even if in reality it wasn't.

Unless the Sabres do win.

Then it will be whining about tanking and the Sabres not deserving McDavid given how they went about this season.

:laugh:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Unless the Sabres do win.

Then it will be whining about tanking and the Sabres not deserving McDavid given how they went about this season.

That's from the non-Sabres fans.

Imagine the media especially Bucky and Crew...

They'll spin it so that they look like they were on the side of tanking before everyone else...Nobody but the posters here will call them out on it and they will keep their jobs and write horrible pieces, until McDavid/Eichel doesn't score in a game then the whole "The Sabres would be wise to send them back to Juniors or to the AHL..."

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
The only thing for me is that I am flying out of Miami on June 27th, will drive the two hours on Friday to Miami and bask in the #1 or #2 pick regardless.....

......knowing I will never accept loosing, or cheering for goals against ever, ever, ever again.....

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Sorry, I love the fact that we are almost there to realize this will (might) be us for the next decade:

Kane - McEichel - ????
Girgensons - Reinhart - ????

Bogo - Zadorov - Risto

That is such a great foundation, and either Eichel or McDavid are the icing.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Can we also get a poll to see what % of fans are rooting for the team to lose? I've been wondering how big the anti-tank crowd is lately

There is no such thing as an "anti-tank crowd". Rooting for a team to lose or win has absolutely no effect on the final outcome. I root for them to win every game, yet they're still in last place. It's goofy rooting for your team to lose.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
There is no such thing as an "anti-tank crowd". Rooting for a team to lose or win has absolutely no effect on the final outcome. I root for them to win every game, yet they're still in last place. It's goofy rooting for your team to lose.

Rooting for your team to win has no effect on the final outcome therefore rooting for a team to win the stanley cup is goofy.

Jumpinjackflash

Dec 9, 2014
Springville ny
I just wanna finish 30th if we win the lotto that's a huge bonus. And I really really really don't wanna see Toronto win it either. I'd rather Edmonton win than the leafs

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Can we also get a poll to see what % of fans are rooting for the team to lose? I've been wondering how big the anti-tank crowd is lately

Just a hunch but I'd bet the purists against the principle of losing are fading into the minority and most fans are on board with just 3 weeks left....;)

80% of me says no, we won't draft McDavid. I'd peg our chances of getting McDavid around 1-in-5, though.

Really going out on a limb there, Zip - 80% no, 20% yes. ;)

Basically, are you going to be wrecked if the Sabres don't draft McDavid? .

Yes...

I will be disappointed to lose it and I'll stay disappointed for about 5 minutes then ill order up the Eichel jersey.

..but as long as the Sabres pick no worse than 2nd, I'll probably find peace with this...

I was pessimistic last year and we lost, so I'll be optimistic this year.

Last year was a little easier to stomach because it seemed Florida was more in need of a defenseman aka Ekblad than the Sabres and that either Reinhart or Bennet would be waiting for Buffalo to pick - and the Sabres got who they really wanted afterall.

Last edited:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
If the Sabres finish last, they'll have the best odds out of anyone to draft McDavid. :dunno:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Until the bottom falls out and the card is revealed to say otherwise, I'm going on the "yes" we're getting McDavid. Sorry for those who are so pessimistic that you're going to sabotage your own hopes. It's not that Eichel is not great. I prefer McDavid.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Until the bottom falls out and the card is revealed to say otherwise, I'm going on the "yes" we're getting McDavid. Sorry for those who are so pessimistic that you're going to sabotage your own hopes. It's not that Eichel is not great. I prefer McDavid.

If we indeed finish last there is an 80% chance we don't get McDavid. It's a matter of realism, not pessimism. Believing we will get him is indeed optimistic and there's nothing wrong with that, but there's no real basis for it, it's just a manifestation of hope. Having no hope of landing McDavid would be pessimistic, but there's a pretty sharp difference between predicting we won't get him and not having hope that we might.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
If we indeed finish last there is an 80% chance we don't get McDavid. It's a matter of realism, not pessimism. Believing we will get him is indeed optimistic and there's nothing wrong with that, but there's no real basis for it, it's just a manifestation of hope. Having no hope of landing McDavid would be pessimistic, but there's a pretty sharp difference between predicting we won't get him and not having hope that we might.

That's true, I know that the 20% chance guarantees you nothing, but to be fair, I just have a good feeling we'll get the man. If I'm wrong, I will be cheering for Eichel. Shrugs.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's true, I know that the 20% chance guarantees you nothing, but to be fair, I just have a good feeling we'll get the man. If I'm wrong, I will be cheering for Eichel. Shrugs.

I will say I couldn't have imagined a few years ago having a shot like this. Even a shot at your typical 1st overall player is something I've never experienced before last season. The closest chances were the Crosby lottery and the 2012-2013 season before the heroic march towards no man's land.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Assuming Buffalo gets Last place:

The Sabres have an 80% chance of not getting McDavid.

The Sabres at 20%, have better odds than anybody at getting McDavid

Both Statements Factual, both realistic. The perception of the situation depends on how you WANT to perceive it. 1st Statement leans towards Pessimistic people, 2nd Statement leans towards the optimistic crowd.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Assuming Buffalo gets Last place:

The Sabres have an 80% chance of not getting McDavid.

The Sabres at 20%, have better odds than anybody at getting McDavid

Both Statements Factual, both realistic. The perception of the situation depends on how you WANT to perceive it. 1st Statement leans towards Pessimistic people, 2nd Statement leans towards the optimistic crowd.

Neither statement is optimistic nor pessimistic because they're simple statements of fact. They also have nothing inherent to do with the other. One could and should make both statements side by side. The Sabres being more likely than other teams to win the lottery doesn't change that they're unlikely to win the lottery. Now, if someone acts like we have no hope of winning the lottery in spite of the fact we have the best chance of doing so, then that's pessimistic. If someone acts like having the best chance at winning the lottery means we're likely to win the lottery, that's optimistic. These would be irrational projections of fears or hopes.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The obvious answer to this should be answered with this statement 10 times out of 10. "WE ARE BUFFALO FANS"

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's from the non-Sabres fans.

Imagine the media especially Bucky and Crew...

They'll spin it so that they look like they were on the side of tanking before everyone else...Nobody but the posters here will call them out on it and they will keep their jobs and write horrible pieces, until McDavid/Eichel doesn't score in a game then the whole "The Sabres would be wise to send them back to Juniors or to the AHL..."

Bucky will stick with his "one player can't save a franchise" take.

I love that one because it completely overlooks all the other 1st and 2nd round prospects the Sabres have already, including Reinhart who was the first forward drafted last year.

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
I think it all unfortunately comes down to politics. If the league is anti-buffalo it will most likely be going to a team of their choice in the "lottery".

However, Pegula isn't dumb and I think he's built up respect in the league for saving the sabers, trying to do a quick but good rebuild, the harbor center, etc. Considering the TV ratings we draw (top 5-10 in the league) if we were suddenly a cup winning team like Pittsburgh, I think it would be beneficial to the NHL (and the proximity to Canada is a small plus) and they might give it to us.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it all unfortunately comes down to politics. If the league is anti-buffalo it will most likely be going to a team of their choice in the "lottery".

However, Pegula isn't dumb and I think he's built up respect in the league for saving the Sabres, trying to do a quick but good rebuild, the harbor center, etc. Considering the TV ratings we draw (top 5-10 in the league) if we were suddenly a cup winning team like Pittsburgh, I think it would be beneficial to the NHL (and the proximity to Canada is a small plus) and they might give it to us.

Are you serious?

It's a random lottery and not the NHL gifting the first pick to a team.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So the auditing professionals that are hired by the league are on the take, too?

Somehow I seriously doubt that.

I highly doubt it's ridded.

That said, Taro is spot on. There's absolutely no reason at all not to show the live drawing, and simply doing so would dispel most of the conspiracy talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad