Poll: Do you believe the Sabres will win the lottery and draft McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
So the auditing professionals that are hired by the league are on the take, too?

Somehow I seriously doubt that.

Exactly, rigging the lottery is just something that is ridiculous. Bettman would immediately lose his job and likely face criminal charges for fraud.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I highly doubt it's ridded.

That said, Taro is spot on. There's absolutely no reason at all not to show the live drawing, and simply doing so would dispel most of the conspiracy talk

Well, the live drawing sounds boring as ****, so that's one reason. :laugh:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Well, the live drawing sounds boring as ****, so that's one reason. :laugh:

You really think so? There's discussion earlier in this thread about it, but most seemed to agree that the live drawing (especially if spaced out over the course of half an hour) could be made pretty damn entertaining. Definitely moreso than how they do it now with Bettman opening envelops :laugh:

I imagine something like this:

Every team has random numbers assigned to them. Furthermore, the random numbers are spaced out (e.g. Sabres don't have 0-1500, they have 1, 113, 213, etc.). Have a big infographic display that shows every team their lotto numbers, and their percentage of getting the first pick. Draw the first number, then grey out all the combinations that are ruled out, and slide the percentages now that the first number is drawn. 5 minutes later draw the second number, etc. etc. Yeah, it'd be nerdy and corny, but in every way possible it'd be more entertaining than the envelope opening

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You really think so? There's discussion earlier in this thread about it, but most seemed to agree that the live drawing (especially if spaced out over the course of half an hour) could be made pretty damn entertaining. Definitely moreso than how they do it now with Bettman opening envelops :laugh:

I imagine something like this:

Every team has random numbers assigned to them. Furthermore, the random numbers are spaced out (e.g. Sabres don't have 0-1500, they have 1, 113, 213, etc.). Have a big infographic display that shows every team their lotto numbers, and their percentage of getting the first pick. Draw the first number, then grey out all the combinations that are ruled out, and slide the percentages now that the first number is drawn. 5 minutes later draw the second number, etc. etc. Yeah, it'd be nerdy and corny, but in every way possible it'd be more entertaining than the envelope opening

Yeah, I guess envelope opening isn't very exciting either. Logistically, though, I'm not sure how you'd be able to display 1500 numbers on TV in a way that's actually legible. You'd probably have to just display the names of the teams with the number or % of remaining possible combos that they could win with as numbers are drawn. Which is probably enough of a "black box" for conspiracy theorists to still keep theorizing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah, I guess envelope opening isn't very exciting either. Logistically, though, I'm not sure how you'd be able to display 1500 numbers on TV in a way that's actually legible. You'd probably have to just display the names of the teams with the number or % of remaining possible combos that they could win with as numbers are drawn. Which is probably enough of a "black box" for conspiracy theorists to still keep theorizing.

Right. Obviously the infographic wouldn't be too legible when the whole thing is shown.They could also release all the #s before hand so people can follow along themselves. But really, the NYS lottery is shown live and no one thinks it's rigged. Let every fan across the country print out their teams winning lotto numbers and show the damn thing just like the NYS lotto program.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
Are you serious?

It's a random lottery and not the NHL gifting the first pick to a team.
You really think the NHL would allow a generational talent go just anywhere? McDavid in Arizona? Or Florida? Really? Business decision-wise it makes sense for him to end up in Toronto or Philly. McDavid/Toronto vs. Montreal for years. McDavid/Philly vs. Crosby for years. Just saying.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You really think the NHL would allow a generational talent go just anywhere? McDavid in Arizona? Or Florida? Really? Business decision-wise it makes sense for him to end up in Toronto or Philly. McDavid/Toronto vs. Montreal for years. McDavid/Philly vs. Crosby for years. Just saying.

At least you ended it with "just saying" ...because that's all you're doing is "just saying" because you offer no amount of proof or even a hint of proof.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
At least you ended it with "just saying" ...because that's all you're doing is "just saying" because you offer no amount of proof or even a hint of proof.
From a business perspective, it makes more sense for him to end up in a proven(money-making) market. Only time will tell where he ends up. I don't have Bettman's personal number to give you proof. Remember that Bettman cut his teeth under David Stern from the NBA.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
From a business perspective, it makes more sense for him to end up in a proven(money-making) market. Only time will tell where he ends up. I don't have Bettman's personal number to give you proof. Remember that Bettman cut his teeth under David Stern from the NBA.

Why? You can make just a good argument that the NHL wants him in a new market like Arizona. I'm not convinced either is true.

Also, how would they do it?

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
Why? You can make just a good argument that the NHL wants him in a new market like Arizona. I'm not convinced either is true.

Also, how would they do it?
It would be great for Coyote fans. Just don't see it happening. On the question, "How would they do it", there is a lot of money on the line where McDavid goes. I can't prove that the lottery is fixed. But, I have a feeling it is pushed in a certain direction. Time will tell.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I highly doubt it's ridded.

That said, Taro is spot on. There's absolutely no reason at all not to show the live drawing, and simply doing so would dispel most of the conspiracy talk

I doubt it would.

People love themselves a good conspiracy theory.

Just look at the Ewing Lottery that was held in front of a live TV audience.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-fix-the-lottery-for-your-team-181303868.html

b0ca9dd0-c74f-11e4-9307-a9f0daee534f_MCDAVID.jpg

1. Buffalo Sabres (43 pts.)

Current Draft Lottery Odds: 20 percent

Current Projected Finish: 16th in Eastern Conference (100 percent)

Key NHL Tank Games Remaining: at Maple Leafs (3/11); vs. Coyotes (3/26); at Coyotes (3/30); vs. Maple Leafs (4/1); vs. Hurricanes (4/6); at Jackets (4/10).

Their torrid winning streak (3-1-2) was finally ended with a four-game losing streak, as the team Tim Murray built to fail inches forever closer to that destiny. They lead the Oilers by four points with a game in-hand that they’ll need to also lose.

Chances The NHL Fixes The Draft For Them: If the NHL was smart, they would, but given how they already changed the draft rules to jerk around Murray, we’re guessing they're not fans of abject tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad