Poll, Can this current roster contend for the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I won't vote.

To answer your question, most teams require multiple trips to the playoffs to truly contend for the Cup. We can compete for the division title. The playoffs are a different story and we don't have a lot of deep playoff runs with quite a few of our key players.

Meaning, don't get ahead of yourself. We're going to ice our most talented team ever on paper. Now it's up to them to show us what they can do.

In the past we've had to dig ourselves out of deep holes. Yes, last year injuries played a major part in that. Let's try and give ourselves a chance by starting off strong. Lord knows this team can play in March and April.

The goal is always to win the Cup. However, that really isn't a realistic expectation.

As far as the roster goes, we do need some better play on the blue line. I think we have some good pieces in there, but as others have mentioned our top pairing is sub-par compared to teams like the Rangers. Not a huge issue during the regular season but in the playoffs it can and probably will be exposed. We need Murray to stay healthy and actually develop. Badly.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I voted no.
1. We do not have a stable first pair def.
2. I'm afraid a repetition of last year's situation with injuries.
3. Potential instability of the game by Bob.
And the most important thing for me - the position of head coach, his maximum ceiling first round PO with a completely healthy roster.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
No because we still need another top 4(top 2 would be better). Especially someone who can prevent shots from either blocking or when he's on the ice, majority of play is in the offensive zone, rather then the defensive zone. Also as a team, we need to prevent less shots or have it more even. Can't win the Cup when your getting out shot 30-20 every game. Also, would like to see Bob play a series where he looks good, rather then shaky.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We need 2 top d-men - maybe Murray becomes one of those if he stays healthy, but need another.
Also even though I like the signing of McE I think before we contend we'll need an upgrade at backup tender - that's not a priority and we can get someone at the deadline.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I said I have to see team first, but realistically, no. I think this team still needs a few upgrades, either through prospects play, trades, or FA. Plus, this team is going to have to go through the play-offs wars a few more times to become play-off savvy.

As I see it now, this team stays relatively healthy, and plays up to expectations, they are in the play-offs. Don't see a Cup or a deep run for a few more years, though, and that is if everything goes according to some grand plan.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Voted Maybe - need to see if we can stay healthy and how well this current group of Dmen hold up. Two pretty big ifs ..

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I voted no. This team is not quite deep enough when just a normal rash of injuries occurs, especially on the blue line.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
A lot of folks saying we need another d-man. Another top 4 d-man. "We don't have enough defensemen", etc..

IMO we have two second pairs and a third pair. Adding a d-man doesn't upgrade anything unless we get a real top pair guy.

Pretty sure that's inferred. I haven't seen anyone say we need more Prout's or Golo's.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Voted yes, assuming we stay healthy, and that includes Ryan Murray . We have a legit first line now, Saad will be a huge upgrade in skill and allow Joey the space he needs to take the next step in his development. I still think the team will be faced with a position of where to play Rychel, and Bjorkstrand, after they both have big training camps. Still think we move a Jack Johnson/ Prout/Tyutin, one of the 3 , in a package deal to get an upgrade at D, but we may not see that until the trade deadline. How much will savard, Goby improve this season? Paliotta could be a huge pick up. Even if foligno doesn't put up the numbers he did last season, a healthy Boone Jener, a healthy Brandon Dubinsky , and let's not forget how good Wennberg looked to close last season . I honestly think we are right there with the Islanders going into this season.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Watching the SCFs I've concluded that defense is usually the deciding factor.
As we are configured now, I think we can make the playoffs and perhaps win a round.
Don't think we can contend [as in make the Finals].
Case in point: how many shutouts does Bob have during the season? I don't necessarily think that is a slam on the goal-tender. It is a reflection on the entire defense. No matter how good the goalie is, there are a dozen times during the game that the d has to clear pucks out of the area in front of the crease, or clear big bodies. If that isn't done 12 out of 12 times, the red light goes on. Goalie does not have control over that.
Upgrades are needed.
Either our d-men mature and take big steps forward, or we find it by trade.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Need to upgrade the blue line. Probably 1-2 pieces away from competing for Cup.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think this team will be far better than a lot of you are expecting. Is it ready to compete for the Cup? Time will tell ... so I took the third option on this list. But, a few things to consider. First, the lineup:

Jenner-Johansen-Saad
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Calvert
Bourque-Campbell-Clarkson
Boll

Johnson-Savard
Murray-Goloubef
Tyutin-Prout
Connauton
Falk

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

When you look at it like this, I think it's a very intriguing bunch. A lot of you have alluded to the defense needing help, which may be true, but I think Jarmo said it best when he said they would be getting a player better than any free agent available, in a healthy Ryan Murray. Murray has all of the skill and ability to be a legitimate number one guy in this league ... it's the reason he was the second overall pick. At the top of his game, he's the kind of player that can make his partner better. I really feel that this is what we saw with Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman in the playoffs ... Hedman was so good, that he made Stralman more effective because he allowed him to play his own style. If he stays healthy, then I think he is an answer on the blue line, and Cody Goloubef looked surprisingly comfortable and effective with him, in the short stints we saw last year. I realize Goloubef isn't ideal, but I think he's sufficient enough ... maybe a deadline acquisition can push that pair over the top? Jack Johnson and David Savard are a very strong second pair, and Fedor Tyutin provides steady, consistent bottom-three minutes. Dalton Prout, Kevin Connauton, and Justin Falk give size, depth, and a variety of different tools ... you can rotate these three in and out of the lineup pretty comfortably.

The forwards are lights out. I think that top line is a top-5 or 6 in the entire league as an overall unit. The second line is full of skill, speed, and two-way ability ... and again, I think this is one of the best second lines in the entire league. The third and fourth lines will be able to provide grit, scoring, and veteran leadership. The goaltending situation is fine, as long as Bobrovsky stays healthy.

Really, what isn't to like? This roster is built with guys who have the willingness and ability to compete harder in the playoffs ... all I think is that, this team has to get into the playoffs. Even against a top team like Pittsburgh, if this team can roll four lines consistently against that top-heavy lineup, the CBJ are going to beat them down and wear them out. Are they ready to compete for the Cup? I'm not entirely sure, but I do think they are ready to win a playoff series or two, and take the NHL by storm. All the while, with several of their top prospects still developing. In 2-3 years, this team can absolutely go all the way.

thebus2288*

Something, something, window. Something, something, elite. Blah-blah upgrade.

Sure, it would be nice to get that defensively responsible "true" top 2 d man, but who? Really, realistically. Most names I hear on here are complete dreams. Buff and Burns maybe. Then who? And what more depth would we have to sacrifice? Dealing away our best/biggest minute defenseman(JJ) would not help our team unless we got a legit top 5-10 ranked defenseman in the league back. These guys aren't available. Hamilton isn't part of this group.

Saad-Johansen-Foligno
Hartnell-Dubinsky-Atkinson/Jenner
Calvert-Wennberg-Jenner/Atkinson
Clarkson-Campbell-Boll-Bourque-Chaput

Murray-JJ
Tyutin-Savard
Connauton/Goloubef-Prout--Falk/Paliotta

The NHL has much bigger parity than the other sports leagues. Its much easier for teams 9-16 to beat teams 1-8 in hockey. And without question, the east from top to bottom, is just simply not as good as the west. But just as any team that makes the playoffs can win a series, any team that makes the finals can win the cup. We most certainly can contend for the playoffs and a 1st round win. For the reasons and roster stated above I could make the case that a 2nd round win and winning of the east could be very possible, especially after the momentum of the 1st round win. In my opinion our team matches up against any western team just as good as any eastern team.

So to sum it up, the odds of us winning the cup next year are not high, but the team is way closer to being able to win the cup then most of you think.

IMO of course.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Remember when many of us thought the defense was the strongest part of the club? LOL

mea culpa.

I thought Joey was going to be an elite defensive 50-60 pt center, tops.
I thought we were stuck with Umberger, and would never get a Hartnell quality player back.
I thought Nick was amazing but not the 70 pt type.
I thought Jenner was a bottom sixer.

That gives me humility, but doesn't make it any easier to imagine how our D could end up top 5 leaguewide. I've tried to game out how our D could emerge like that and I can't see us being that great.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Of course this team can raise the cup. Things could be done to make it easier and to give cover to all you safe voters, but can this team lift the cup? You bet they can.

A better D would help, but the question isn't is this team a favorite. Get into the playoffs and see what goes down- it's almost never what you think.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
For now we see in a mirror dimly,
but then face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully,
even as I have been fully understood.

So faith,
hope,
love
abide, these three;
but the greatest of these
is love.

I always loved our team. Answer is Yes. Yes, we can. Go Jackets!

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Let's win a playoff series before we talk about winning a cup

We need a top d man before we can think about contending. And unless Ryan Murray turns into that this year we are a few years away.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Remember when many of us thought the defense was the strongest part of the club? LOL

It was, and that's why we didn't make the playoffs that year. Our forwards weren't good

Dubinsky-Brassard-Prospal
Calvert-Letestu-Atkinson
Foligno-Johansen-Umberger
Dorsett-MacKenzie-Boll

JJ-Wis
Nikitin-Tyutin
Moore-Aucoin

With Savard, Erixon, and Prout in the AHL. Prout came up later in the year when Moore was dealt and played fantastic. Murray was injured with Everette

Last edited:

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
I voted no. We don't have enough on defense. No true number one. Murray is always hurt, further diluting the top four. And our third pairing is among the worst in the NHL.

If we were going to trade Anisimov and Dano, why did we not do so for a defenseman?
I honestly don't get why everyone is so happy about trading for a forward that was redundant when we badly needed a defenseman. And then to top it off we made that same forward that has never scored 30 goals our highest paid player.

You think Ryan Johansen might have a legitimate contractual beef? I sure see drama in our future.

I hope you all really love Prout playing in the top four when the inevitable injuries come. Every NHL team has to deal with injuries. So you want your third pairing to be strong so if they have to move up, it isn't a nightmare. Prout is like a traffic cone out their on the ice. During the Hurricanes game near the end of the season I saw him get deked so bad that he fell down on the ice.

Saad has won two Cups. Big flippin' deal. Was he responsible for those Cup wins? Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook might have something to say about that.

I think Mr. Moon brings up a lot of good points. I'm not 100% sold on Saad at 6m per year. I don't get to see the Blackhawks that often but from what I saw in the playoffs, he skates his ass off.

We had an excessive amount of injuries at crucial times in the season, so I think it is unfair to say that "every club has to overcome injuries."

The bottom line: Let's be real here, We are in a tough division. Pitts just got better. The New York teams will be strong. I see us as battling with Washington for 4th in the metro. I hope that is enough to make the playoffs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad