Poll, Can this current roster contend for the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll sum this up easily enough. Unlikely isn't impossible.
You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I voted yes.

The forwards corps, as has been noted, has to be considered very good.

A healthy Bobrovsky and Murray along with very solid two way play from the forwards makes this a very competitive roster.

Theoretically, we need another top dman, but in this cap world, the differences between most top rosters aren't all that significant. It's how the team is playing come playoff time, health, and a dose of good fortune.

That being said, we will miss the playoffs.:laugh:

Good cover, CR. No jinx in there.

I voted no. D still needs upgrade, maybe 2 upgrades. Even if Murray stays healthy, he needs to progress another year or two to reach top-pairing status. Even then, we'd still be one top-pairing D-man short. Maybe at the trade deadline, assuming Murray healthy and improving, but think we are a year or two away from Cup contender status. But excited nonetheless!

Last edited:

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Well anyway the actual poll question says nothing about being contenders. So an honest answer to the actual poll question, if you think this team can make the playoffs, can only be yes.

The title of this thread is literally "Poll, Can this current roster contend for the Cup" but okay, whatever you say, bud.

Yes, the poll title within the thread is "Can this team raise the Cup." No, that is not the same as "can this team make the playoffs next year." It seems you are saying "this team can make the playoffs and once they get in, anything can happen, so yeah, they can raise the Cup, DUH." But that's obviously not what the OP is wondering. Everybody else in this thread is addressing whether the team will be contenders next year (as that is, actually, the question in the title of the thread).

I guess from your perspective, all 30 teams can raise the Cup, because the players on each team are seemingly all physically capable of lifting it. Hopefully, or else they shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
This team can raise the cup but it will take some good luck.

Great luck: everything goes as you want it to, such as record years for most of your players, few injuries and stumbles by your biggest rivals.
Good luck: things work out for you, players develop well, few injuries
No luck: meets expectations
Bad luck: some set backs, a few missteps
What!?: 2014-15 season injuries

The meet expectations is playoffs to second round. With a little good luck such as the D jelling, Murray injury free, and Bob locking in during the playoffs they can be playing in the final where anything can happen. This is by far the most optimistic I have ever been before the season.

Do I think this is the year, no, but they have an outside chance. I do think 20 games into the season we'll know a lot more about this team and its chances.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The title of this thread is literally "Poll, Can this current roster contend for the Cup" but okay, whatever you say, bud.

Yes, the poll title within the thread is "Can this team raise the Cup." No, that is not the same as "can this team make the playoffs next year." It seems you are saying "this team can make the playoffs and once they get in, anything can happen, so yeah, they can raise the Cup, DUH." But that's obviously not what the OP is wondering. Everybody else in this thread is addressing whether the team will be contenders next year (as that is, actually, the question in the title of the thread).

I guess from your perspective, all 30 teams can raise the Cup, because the players on each team are seemingly all physically capable of lifting it. Hopefully, or else they shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

You're right, I thought the thread title was the same as the question. When I went back and read it like I should have done, I saw there was a difference. My mistake.

I don't think this club is a contender for the Cup this year. But I do think they have a chance to win it because I like their chances to make the playoffs, and I like how they've improved over the past few seasons. I don't think that can be said of every team in the league.

It is my belief that things get screwy in the playoffs, and a lot of people feel this team is built in such a way to be able to perform in playoff hockey. Offseason predictions are never able to account for the fullness of the season, which is why I don't usually make them. In this town, we have a great example of how important it is to play the games and how useless prognostications are if you're not the business of selling content by them. Ask Cardale Jones if his team was a contender last year.

So, can they win the cup this year? Yes. Are they contenders to do so? No. Dark horse at best.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I have mentioned in the past about reading an article about how Carolina was able to win the 2006 Cup. For the life of me I have had no luck googling that article, but the gist of it was that absolutely everything fell into place that season for the Canes to be able to win it all.

They were given 50-1 odds to win it before the season. That was the same odds the CBJ had that year, and there were 26 teams with better odds.

To make a long story short, from injuries, to players having great years, to the foe they ended up facing from the West (this was the year the Oilers, who were the lowest seed in the West, had their remarkable play-off run) the Canes had everything go their way. I believe that was the season that the 4 top seeds in the West all lost in the first round.

So, can it happen, absolutely. Will it happen, that is anyone's guess.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I think a team that has ove 10mm allocated towards, Borque, Boll and Clarkson is going to have a hard time contending. That being said, the core of this team has shown itself to be fairly resilient and in the East i'd say they have a punchers chance.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I tried to take a look at this from a short and long term perspective. Not sure I pulled it off but in my view this team could contend for the cup but everything would have to go their way. I don't think the talent level is quite there yet but in a year or two it's possible.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/07/body-of-work-not-done-yet-for-the-columbus-blue-jackets/

For those that read it, thanks. Good or bad feedback always welcome. I know we all don't agree on these topics but they are fun to discuss.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Expected != automatically untrue.

It's what I, and I suspect many others, would expect them to say. It's the team's job to play, it's the GM's job to address weaknesses and it's the paying fans right to be able to pontificate about both.

I'm not saying the players don't believe it, I'm saying "what do you expect them to say if not that?"

This thread is for the fans to share opinions, if it was for the team, we could put that post at the top and lock the thread.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I think a team that has ove 10mm allocated towards, Borque, Boll and Clarkson is going to have a hard time contending. That being said, the core of this team has shown itself to be fairly resilient and in the East i'd say they have a punchers chance.

Most teams have a couple bad contracts. The money's an off the ice issue currently. I don't see it as a current opportunity cost (i.e. who would we have spent the money on otherwise?). Clarkson's may become an issue if we look to add salary in a year or so.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The way to early Burnside rankings for East:

1) Tampa
2) Washington
3) Columbus
4) Montreal
5) Rangers
6) Detroit
7) Pittsburgh
8) Islanders

I'd probably moved Islanders above Pittsburgh and Detroit, but I'd be real happy for that final regular season standing.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings/_/season/2016/week/0

Not a bad list. Not sure I'd rank the CBJ above the Rangers on Montreal yet, but it's their first pre-season ranking. I think outside of Montreal and the Lightning, it's a bit all over the place as far as who slides in where. I don't think the Metro really has a favorite.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And he has us 9th overall. Thing that struck me is looking through the list was how many teams could be (much) higher or (much) lower than where they were ranked, including us, although in our case I think we probably have a bit more downside than upside. I mean he has Vancouver and Philly 26th and 27th- really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad