Poll: Brad Larsen-To Fire or Not to Fire

Should Brad Larsen be fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Torts should make the call on firing assistants. If it's needed and he won't do it then fire Torts.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No words can describe how little I care. Torts is responsible for the coaching staff and any problems are a reflection on him, just as any issue with Torts are a reflection of the front office.

We have to be bored to care about a debate on firing an assistant coach.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I read the article about the Sens players in the Uber video mocking their PK coach and thought: damn that could be our PP players talking about our guy

Somethings gotta change.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Torts should make the call on firing assistants. If it's needed and he won't do it then fire Torts.
Oilers and Tampa fired their special team coaches without head coaches consent.

I can't believe this guy is going to stay behind the bench tonight like nothing happened.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
On paper, Artemi Panarin is absolutely the Blue Jackets’ most-skilled forward, but the Blue Jackets are 30th in the league (15.9 percent) on the power play since he joined them at the start of last season (96 games). The only team worse is the club he was traded from, Chicago (15.7 percent). In the 96 games before Panarin arrived, the Jackets converted 19.3 percent of their power plays, good for 13th in the league. “All of that may be true,” one scout said. “But how the hell do you take that guy off the power play? And if he’s on the ice, the power play is running through him. It just is.” Panarin, who has declined the Blue Jackets’ offers to sign a contract extension, is a strong candidate to be moved before the trade deadline. A dynamic change might have to wait until then.
Can the Blue Jackets' power play be saved? We asked NHL...

Interesting article in thealthletic. Predictable and ineffective zone entries (the drop to create speed), too deliberate on movement, poor faceoffs winning percentage and puck retrievals after lost faceoffs were also cited as reasons behind the PP woes.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Can the Blue Jackets' power play be saved? We asked NHL...

Interesting article in thealthletic. Predictable and ineffective one entries (the drop to create speed), too deliberate on movement, poor faceoffs winning percentage and puck retrievals after lost faceoffs were also cited as reasons behind the PP woes.

Loved the article... a prime example of why I subscribe to the Athletic.

As for the breakdown and suggestions.. seems pretty damn doable to try/fix -- if only we could get the staff to read it ;)

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Loved the article... a prime example of why I subscribe to the Athletic.

As for the breakdown and suggestions.. seems pretty damn doable to try/fix -- if only we could get the staff to read it ;)
There's a bit of a difference between "the issues are recognizable" and "the issues are fixable". That said, some of them look very fixable to me (Task #1: start working on entry methods that don't involve that drop pass so you can keep the PK guessing). I'm hoping that they can do that and that will be enough.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
From the Chicago Sun Times:
"The Hawks have also struggled this season to fix their lackluster power play, which is ran by Dineen. They have the fifth-worst success rate in the league (14 percent)."

I guess in some places a poor Power Play can be a fireable offense (espically when the HC gets the pink slip).

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
There's a bit of a difference between "the issues are recognizable" and "the issues are fixable". That said, some of them look very fixable to me (Task #1: start working on entry methods that don't involve that drop pass so you can keep the PK guessing). I'm hoping that they can do that and that will be enough.

What really hit home for me was the comment about the passing. To me its a fundamental and should be one of the easiest things to do.

Pass here, pause.. pass there, pause, rinse and repeat. I've been grinding an axe about that for over a year now.

Reactions: Viqsi

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
PLEASE BRING KEVIN DINEEN BACK TO COLUMBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
url

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
From the Chicago Sun Times:
"The Hawks have also struggled this season to fix their lackluster power play, which is ran by Dineen. They have the fifth-worst success rate in the league (14 percent)."

I guess in some places a poor Power Play can be a fireable offense (espically when the HC gets the pink slip).

The Sun Times published "...which is ran by..."??

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I appreciate the insight from the scouts that Porty talked to. The point about going deeper on the entry is interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

I'd say you can see a lot of the problems in the shot chart AlisonL shared. In a good umbrella set-up, the halfwall guys can sink lower to make cross-ice plays that put defenders out of position. That or they feed the guys around the net for a quick shot or a cross-crease pass. Right now the Jackets just stay in the high-umbrella and shoot from distance, with no threat down-low. That's the biggest issue to me once they get set-up - there's no threat lower than the hash-marks. Panarin will try making cross-ice passes, but they're from high in the zone, not low enough. I'm thinking of the way Blake Wheeler will go below the hashmark.

One of Porty's respondents said they'd put Dubinsky in front of the net, and I don't think that's a bad suggestion, but unlikely to make a difference - Foligno and Jenner are good at jamming pucks in, they just never get the puck down there after the powerplay is set-up.
DrRkl5OWkAI7Gqc.jpg

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad