Line Combos: Poll 1 : HF Hawks Decides - Who Centers Kane?

Who Centers Kane?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
We saw it in the playoffs. It produced, but not great advanced stats.

In 48 5v5 minutes:

75 GF% (3 for, 1 against)

42.5 CF%
41.97 xGF%
40.54 SCF%
35.29 HDCF%
How much was that vs Vegas more than Edmonton.. I mean to say no lines probably looked good vs Vegas right? They only were close on chances the 1 game the Hawks one if I recall right.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
X-Toews-Kane
X-Dach-Kubalik
DBC-Strome-X

No need to make it complicated

The problem is, that leaves you two lines that have to be sheltered. Unfortunately Strome f***s up the lineup anywhere but on the wing. I really think he's going to be left without a chair when the music stops.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The problem is, that leaves you two lines that have to be sheltered. Unfortunately Strome f***s up the lineup anywhere but on the wing. I really think he's going to be left without a chair when the music stops.
I think they should try him on the wing anyway. Strome doesn't have much value around the league anyway it seems, so what do the Hawks have to lose?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I'm not expecting much defensive prowess from any line combinations this season. May as well focus on putting pucks in the back of the net.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
At this point, any lineup that doesn't include Strome at center. They have a good number of two-way forwards.

What if you took your idea of Kane on the third line and put him with Wallmark and Janmark?

I wonder if those guys would be enough to offset Kane’s lack of defensive effort. Also, they wouldn’t be the worst offensive players that Kane has been saddled with.

Maybe like:

DeBrincat-Toews-?
?-Dach-Kubalik
Janmark-Wallmark-Kane (double shifting obviously)
Shaw-Kampf-Carpenter

? Candidates: Strome, Nylander, Suter, Hagel, Kurashev

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
What if you took your idea of Kane on the third line and put him with Wallmark and Janmark?

I wonder if those guys would be enough to offset Kane’s lack of defensive effort. Also, they wouldn’t be the worst offensive players that Kane has been saddled with.

Maybe like:

DeBrincat-Toews-?
?-Dach-Kubalik
Janmark-Wallmark-Kane (double shifting obviously)
Shaw-Kampf-Carpenter

? Candidates: Strome, Nylander, Suter, Hagel, Kurashev

The Hawks could do that. You can also get away with having one line that needs to be sheltered. In that situation, you load up Kane with Strome(if he's still here), and try to offset the defensive suck by putting a guy like Janmark on the line with them.

It will be interesting. I've stayed away from posting theoretical lineups up until now, because there are so many question marks up front. Here's how their depth chart looks, as far as I'm aware:

LW: DeBrincat/Kubalik/Suter/Nylander/Janmark/Kurashev/Hagel
RW: Kane/Shaw/Carpenter/Nylander
C: Dach/Toews/Strome(??)/Kampf/Carpenter/Wallmark

Locks: DeBrincat, Kubalik, Janmark, Kane, Toews, Dach, Carpenter, Shaw(if healthy), Wallmark, Kampf(?)

I think you might see something like the following, if Strome is not here:

DeBrincat/Toews/Kane
Kubalik/Dach/Nylander
Janmark/Wallmark/Shaw
Suter/Kampf/Carpenter

Those bottom two lines will be a bitch to play against.

If Strome is here:

DeBrincat/Toews/Nylander
Kubalik/Dach/Shaw
Janmark/Strome/Kane
Kampf/Wallmark/Carpenter

The big question for me is right wing. Hawks do not have a lot of depth here, and two major question marks in Nylander and Shaw. For that reason, I think Nylander is pretty much a lock for the opening day roster. They also have a bit of a logjam at LW.... Kubalik, as far as I know, only plays RW on the power play(for one timers).

If one of their prospects can play RW that would be awesome. But from what I've seen, most of them have consistently played C or LW. It's generally tougher for players to play their off-wing at the professional level, if they have not done so most of their career.

I'm actually really excited for this season, just to see how the forward situation plays out.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The Hawks could do that. You can also get away with having one line that needs to be sheltered. In that situation, you load up Kane with Strome(if he's still here), and try to offset the defensive suck by putting a guy like Janmark on the line with them.

It will be interesting. I've stayed away from posting theoretical lineups up until now, because there are so many question marks up front. Here's how their depth chart looks, as far as I'm aware:

LW: DeBrincat/Kubalik/Suter/Nylander/Janmark/Kurashev/Hagel
RW: Kane/Shaw/Carpenter/Nylander
C: Dach/Toews/Strome(??)/Kampf/Carpenter/Wallmark

Locks: DeBrincat, Kubalik, Janmark, Kane, Toews, Dach, Carpenter, Shaw(if healthy), Wallmark, Kampf(?)

I think you might see something like the following, if Strome is not here:

DeBrincat/Toews/Kane
Kubalik/Dach/Nylander
Janmark/Wallmark/Shaw
Suter/Kampf/Carpenter

Those bottom two lines will be a bitch to play against.

If Strome is here:

DeBrincat/Toews/Nylander
Kubalik/Dach/Shaw
Janmark/Strome/Kane
Kampf/Wallmark/Carpenter

The big question for me is right wing. Hawks do not have a lot of depth here, and two major question marks in Nylander and Shaw. For that reason, I think Nylander is pretty much a lock for the opening day roster. They also have a bit of a logjam at LW.... Kubalik, as far as I know, only plays RW on the power play(for one timers).

If one of their prospects can play RW that would be awesome. But from what I've seen, most of them have consistently played C or LW. It's generally tougher for players to play their off-wing at the professional level, if they have not done so most of their career.

I'm actually really excited for this season, just to see how the forward situation plays out.

Between Kane’s “defense” being mitigated by Toews, and the bastard-type bottom-six, the first option actually looks more dangerous overall on paper.

The Strome-Kane line in the second option just feels like such a soft point, while it’s harder to find a soft point in the first option.

Also, I’d be really curious to see how Cat-Toews-Kane could perform long term. They’ll either be an incredibly dominant top line, or be a train wreck. May as well find out now which one it is.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Between Kane’s “defense” being mitigated by Toews, and the bastard-type bottom-six, the first option actually looks more dangerous overall on paper.

The Strome-Kane line in the second option just feels like such a soft point, while it’s harder to find a soft point in the first option.

Also, I’d be really curious to see how Cat-Toews-Kane could perform long term. They’ll either be an incredibly dominant top line, or be a train wreck. May as well find out now which one it is.

That's where I'm at with Cat/Toews/Kane, too. That line would get the bulk of the offensive zone starts.

If you wanted to balance the lineup a bit more, you swap Kane with Shaw, and then have Kane double shift here and there, taking Shaw's shifts. That might be a good option, too. Kane has shown the ability to produce regardless of his line mates, so I think that's the least of their worries. Janmark seems to have some offensive skill, as well.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's where I'm at with Cat/Toews/Kane, too. That line would get the bulk of the offensive zone starts.

If you wanted to balance the lineup a bit more, you swap Kane with Shaw, and then have Kane double shift here and there, taking Shaw's shifts. That might be a good option, too. Kane has shown the ability to produce regardless of his line mates, so I think that's the least of their worries. Janmark seems to have some offensive skill, as well.

Janmark has offensive skills? Tell me more about it:huh:
If he has any, he's done an amazing job hiding them and not letting them translate into offense, let alone points:laugh:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, I think at this point I’m team Cat-Toews-Kane. I just want to see it. What’s the worst that can happen, the Hawks don’t make the playoffs?

The best that can happen is you suddenly have your own version of a perfection line — especially as DeBrincat gets stronger, more aggressive, and more defensively responsible.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Got here late, of the choices it's got to be Strome if he signs. Who else? Soderberg? I thought Kane and Strome has some chemistry last season. Otherwise it's Kampf, Wallmark, or Kurashev?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Good chance none of the three are available once the season starts. Strome might sit out, the other two are out for sure.

It's going to be Mattias Janmark. Him or Wallmark should be poll.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If it were up to me I'd do this, under the assumption that Strome re-signs before the end of TC:
Kubalik-Soderberg-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-X
Y-Z-X
Kampf-Wallmark-Carpenter

X=Shaw/Janmark/Teply

Y=Hagel/Kurashev/Suter

Z=Kurashev/Suter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad