Polarizing Parenteau

chessgoon

Aug 20, 2010
Everybody seems to have a different opinion about this guy. He's quite a mixture of good and bad, but I think he's become expendable. He'd be a good 7th skill forward, to fill in when there's an injury on the first or second line, but he's too expensive at 4 mil to do that. And he's too soft defensively to play on the third or fourth line. SO DAMN SOFT! Softer than a baby's ass, soft. Would it kill this guy to fight for the puck or put the body into somebody once in a while, when it was positionally justified? The guy's got some bulk to him, and would appear to have the upper body strength to play physically, but a guy his age is set in his ways, and won't be changing. You get to the playoffs, the refs swallow their whistles, and there's ol PA, leaning over, ten feet away, pounding his stick, waiting for a miracle. And yet, he is a very skilled passer and playmaker, and has a good scoring touch. It's safe to say, especially with Razor on the top line, and Tanguay returning, that he won't crack the top six forwards spot without some injuries. And 4 mil is too much to ride the bench. But he might be unmoveable at that price.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Everybody seems to have a different opinion about this guy. He's quite a mixture of good and bad, but I think he's become expendable. He'd be a good 7th skill forward, to fill in when there's an injury on the first or second line, but he's too expensive at 4 mil to do that. And he's too soft defensively to play on the third or fourth line. SO DAMN SOFT! Softer than a baby's ass, soft. Would it kill this guy to fight for the puck or put the body into somebody once in a while, when it was positionally justified? The guy's got some bulk to him, and would appear to have the upper body strength to play physically, but a guy his age is set in his ways, and won't be changing. You get to the playoffs, the refs swallow their whistles, and there's ol PA, leaning over, ten feet away, pounding his stick, waiting for a miracle. And yet, he is a very skilled passer and playmaker, and has a good scoring touch. It's safe to say, especially with Razor on the top line, and Tanguay returning, that he won't crack the top six forwards spot without some injuries. And 4 mil is too much to ride the bench. But he might be unmoveable at that price.

This. I think Roy has talked about trying to get a little bigger and trying to get away from being so soft. Won't be surprised if PAP is not with us next year. The only downside is, he not really worth that much, IMO.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
This is the same player who had 47 points in 48 games a year ago. I think adapting to a new system and major injuries really hampered him this year.

At a cap hit of 4 mil per season I am not comfortable with the idea of him being traded. He's paid at a bargain price and showed flashes, near the end of the season before the 2nd injury, of his previous self.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
This is the same player who had 47 points in 48 games a year ago. I think adapting to a new system and major injuries really hampered him this year.

At a cap hit of 4 mil per season I am not comfortable with the idea of him being traded. He's paid at a bargain price and showed flashes, near the end of the season before the 2nd injury, of his previous self.

Not to mention his game 7 performance, which despite the teams loss, was incredible.

I personally want us to keep him, especially if we can't get a whole lot trading him.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Not to mention his game 7 performance, which despite the teams loss, was incredible.

I personally want us to keep him, especially if we can't get a whole lot trading him.

What about the other game performances where he lost almost every battle along the boards?

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
What about the other game performances where he lost almost every battle along the boards?

He was probably still getting used to playing since being out for 4 weeks at a time twice in one season takes more than 2 games to get adjusted.

Duchene is softer than Parenteau and the season before parenteau was healthy he had as much points as Duchene had. He has more than enough skill to be a 1st or 2nd line winger. Just bad luck with injuries that slowed him down I bet next year if he is healthy then we will be saying how lucky we are to have him

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sticking to what I said early in the season, good offensively but not the type of player you win with. He's a 60 point player when he's healthy but there are far too many negatives to his game.

I'd much rather have guys like Glencross, Higgins, Frolik, etc. They'll only be good for around 15-20 goals and 40 points but they can help a team in so many other areas.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
What I know is.....when Duchene came back for those last 2 playoff games, Parenteau all of a sudden showed up. His impact hinges on playing with Duchene, where when he plays with him, becomes a dangerous offensive player. I would keep him as a first motive, and move him if a good deal comes into fruition.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd say scoring the tying goal in game 5 qualifies as showing up, though agree with the point that pairing with Duchene increases his usefulness. I understand he might be the odd man out but I think it's just as likely that PA stays. His contract is fine for two more years, he is a valuable top 6 asset and does provide offense. Everyone just sees him standing in the way of getting the defenseman they are pining over so therefore he's worthless and expendable.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I'd say scoring the tying goal in game 5 qualifies as showing up, though agree with the point that pairing with Duchene increases his usefulness. I understand he might be the odd man out but I think it's just as likely that PA stays. His contract is fine for two more years, he is a valuable top 6 asset and does provide offense. Everyone just sees him standing in the way of getting the defenseman they are pining over so therefore he's worthless and expendable.

Everyone is going to be really disappointed then, because PAP isn't coming close to getting that type of defensemen, especially after this season.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
PA is an excellent complementary forward, but he cannot be the one who handles the load. You saw this on the island in NY, and again on Duchene's line. Buying him out would not be a good move, let him recover from injuries. The best part is he is not the most fleet of foot or physical to begin with (to be generous), so any aging effects shouldn't hamper his game much. At $4m, I think that he will maintain a steady rate of production and be a solid top 6 player through the end of his contract. Keep the guy

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We need PaP. Without him we lose papapapapapapapapapapapapapapapaapapapap

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At $4 million for two more years there are other ways I'd rather spend that money. Pick dump/swap for a red chip prospect/package deal/Tanguay trade for a player with a slightly better contract/similar contract for a player that meets team needs/yada, yada, yada.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
PAP should probably be traded, but not as a cast-off. He's perfect bait. I have zero issue with the Avs keeping him, but if a deal comes along that he fits into...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
PAP should probably be traded, but not as a cast-off. He's perfect bait. I have zero issue with the Avs keeping him, but if a deal comes along that he fits into...

I agree fit this. No reason to dump him, his got value around the league, just because of his offensive game. Florida could use him for example.

Pete Mitchell

"Watch the canopy!!"
Mar 26, 2008
Frederick, CO
I like PAP and would like to see him return next season. I just think he's the odd man out (assuming we keep Staz) with Tanguay returning, unless the plan is to go with a skill top 9 which I'm fine with. Move Tangs back with Staz and Landy move Mack back to centre and bring in a LW at the right price (my top 3: Raymond, Kulemin, Cammilari) to play with him and Mcginn.

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Staz-Tangs
Raymond-Mack-McGinn
Talbot-Malkin-Mic

Doesnt solve the D issue but if you move Elliot+ and '14 1st for a LD (Ehrhoff+% of salary retained) and get by with Guenin and Wilson as the #6 or if Birgas really impresses in camp (I know he's LH).

Ehrhoff-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Guenin/Wilson/Bigras

Its a long shot and I'm trying to stay relatively realistic but that's a line up I wouldn't mind seeing next year.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I like PAP and would like to see him return next season. I just think he's the odd man out (assuming we keep Staz) with Tanguay returning, unless the plan is to go with a skill top 9 which I'm fine with. Move Tangs back with Staz and Landy move Mack back to centre and bring in a LW at the right price (my top 3: Raymond, Kulemin, Cammilari) to play with him and Mcginn.

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Staz-Tangs
Raymond-Mack-McGinn
Talbot-Malkin-Mic

Doesnt solve the D issue but if you move Elliot+ and '14 1st for a LD (Ehrhoff+% of salary retained) and get by with Guenin and Wilson as the #6 or if Birgas really impresses in camp (I know he's LH).

Ehrhoff-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Guenin/Wilson/Bigras

Its a long shot and I'm trying to stay relatively realistic but that's a line up I wouldn't mind seeing next year.

I agree except it will take more than Elliot + and this year's 1st to get Erhoff. Without moving a morward, it would take 2 1sts I think at least.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
For me, I like PAP. He has issues but they are the same ones he had well before we signed him and the same ones he had under Sacco.

I am hopeful that this off-season allows him to absorb Roy's system better and improve overall.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I don't mind his contract. I'm not too attached so if we can find the perfect deal, why not? I'd like to see how he performs next year, though.

Parenteau's bad season isn't the biggest thing Avs need to fix. We lack in defense and depth. Those are the things I want addressed during the off-season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think PA is a good guy and a really smart offensive player, but it just makes way too much sense to trade him.

They're stocked at forward in the top six, and need a D man. Landy and Mack aren't going anywhere. Between O'Reilly and PA, it's obvious they should keep O'Reilly. Between PA and Tangs, there will be very little interest in Tangs given his age and injuries, and Roy and Sakic like him as a player/mentor for the team anyway. The only real question is between PA and McGinn, and IMO if they absolutely need McGinn's grit in the top 9.

PA has great offensive instincts but they don't really need that with all the offense they have in the top six. They don't even really need a playmaker that bad with Tangs, Dutchy, O'Reilly, and Nate very capable in that role, and Staz possibly re-signing.

Add that to the fact he was one of the only players that struggled last year under Roy, and he floats the most, and it's kind of a no brainer why he should probably be moved. I don't know why it's that bit a surprise that anyone would think that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I keep him. He's an asset. Had a poor year but finding guys that put the puck in the net are too hard to find.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I keep him. He's an asset. Had a poor year but finding guys that put the puck in the net are too hard to find.

They don't have to find guys like that when they're stocked full of them already. It's the team's biggest strength, and it will only get stronger as everyone matures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad