Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If done properly, Unite could be amazing. However, MOBA is an incredibly nuanced genre that requires a huge attention to detail and balancing the gameplay to pull off. DoTA 2 is already the cream of the crop IMO and I don't see Unite coming anywhere close to the level of depth or matching the satisfying gameplay and team coordination mechanics. I'll be happy if the game plays well, even if the gameplay is a bit shallow, as long as it's fun and competitive.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If done properly, Unite could be amazing. However, MOBA is an incredibly nuanced genre that requires a huge attention to detail and balancing the gameplay to pull off. DoTA 2 is already the cream of the crop IMO and I don't see Unite coming anywhere close to the level of depth or matching the satisfying gameplay and team coordination mechanics. I'll be happy if the game plays well, even if the gameplay is a bit shallow, as long as it's fun and competitive.

Firstly, you're 100% correct, that being said, I don't think it has to be. Pokemon Unite, if it's remotely playable, will do well because it's goal isn't to beat DOTA2/LoL as a MOBA, it's goal is to turn young gamers and Pokemon fans into people who play MOBAs for the first time. It'll likely succeed because they aren't bothering with building and jungling is much more simple than it is in LoL, also it's so on theme that you find wild Pokemon in the tall grass.

As someone who only got into the MOBA genre very recently, and who only did so because 4 of my friends wanted to play and needed a 5th because nobody wanted to top, I was kept out of it for literal years because of how complicated it is. Streamers I love would swap to League or DOTA and I'd immediately turn it off because I just didn't understand how the game works. Gameplay depth is important, but in a genre where you need an excel spreadsheet in front of you at all times, Pokemon Unite won't succeed because of it's depth of play, it'll succeed because of it's simplicity in a drastically over complicated genre.

Pokemon Unite vs League/DOTA is a lot like Nintendo's console stance vs Microsoft and Sony. While the newest Playstation and Xbox consoles duke it out to see who's the better bad gaming PC, Nintendo just keeps making games that are fun for everyone and consoles that are accessible to all. My mom, who is 65, asked me about Pokemon Unite and how to do a MOBA today and I honestly believe she will download it and play it. My mom also bought a Switch and Animal Crossing after not having played/been around a video game/watched a game be played since probably 2003 when I lived at home and owned a Gamecube.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Firstly, you're 100% correct, that being said, I don't think it has to be. Pokemon Unite, if it's remotely playable, will do well because it's goal isn't to beat DOTA2/LoL as a MOBA, it's goal is to turn young gamers and Pokemon fans into people who play MOBAs for the first time. It'll likely succeed because they aren't bothering with building and jungling is much more simple than it is in LoL, also it's so on theme that you find wild Pokemon in the tall grass.

As someone who only got into the MOBA genre very recently, and who only did so because 4 of my friends wanted to play and needed a 5th because nobody wanted to top, I was kept out of it for literal years because of how complicated it is. Streamers I love would swap to League or DOTA and I'd immediately turn it off because I just didn't understand how the game works. Gameplay depth is important, but in a genre where you need an excel spreadsheet in front of you at all times, Pokemon Unite won't succeed because of it's depth of play, it'll succeed because of it's simplicity in a drastically over complicated genre.

Pokemon Unite vs League/DOTA is a lot like Nintendo's console stance vs Microsoft and Sony. While the newest Playstation and Xbox consoles duke it out to see who's the better bad gaming PC, Nintendo just keeps making games that are fun for everyone and consoles that are accessible to all. My mom, who is 65, asked me about Pokemon Unite and how to do a MOBA today and I honestly believe she will download it and play it. My mom also bought a Switch and Animal Crossing after not having played/been around a video game/watched a game be played since probably 2003 when I lived at home and owned a Gamecube.

MOBAs are games you basically have to play to understand. With LoL, you're looking at 130+ champions who have 5+ abilities each. Then you add in dozens of items, thousands of rune combinations, different play styles, etc. and it becomes basically impossible to keep up with everything unless you're getting paid to.

Pokemon Unite won't reach those MOBAs as it appeals to a different group of people, like you said. It'll be much simpler and different and so I don't think it will ever attract any kind of consistent, high level players. As a casual game it seems fine though.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Shiny Zeraora distribution just went live and HOME's servers promptly crashed. Way to be prepared, guys. :facepalm:

EDIT: And the new batch of raids apparently has a nonexistent item in the rewards list, thus crashing the game upon beating a raid. Way to go, GF. :facepalm:

EDIT: Raid issues have been fixed. HOME still down.

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Pleasant surprise when I was going through my old games and saw I didn't completely beat HG yet. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Wish postgame content in newer editions weren't so empty.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Haven't really been shiny hunting, but just hatched a square shiny Larvesta just trying to breed for a competitive one. Volcarona is a really nice shiny, and it is probably my favourite bug Pokemon, so I'm pretty happy with it. Going to try and build a 3v3 team around it.

EDIT:I always forget that you can capture video on the Switch. Wish I would have remembered so I could capture that hatch, since it is such a lucky find.

Last edited:

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Unless you like the wild area (which I'm really meh on), the Isle of Armor DLC is shit

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Unless you like the wild area (which I'm really meh on), the Isle of Armor DLC is shit

I was kind of hoping raids would get expanded on and involve more strategy but it doesn't. It really sucks the story is so short and limited. The area is relatively large and beautiful but it really, really needed a longer story.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey guys and gals, do any of you collect Pokemon cards? The reason that I ask is that I'm wondering if there is a way to get Elite trainer boxes or booster boxes of new sets sent automatically from the manufacturers? Right now I'm looking for Champions Path ETB's but they are pricey on Ebay or Amazon and who knows if people are weighing the boxes and selling the lighter ones.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Hey guys and gals, do any of you collect Pokemon cards? The reason that I ask is that I'm wondering if there is a way to get Elite trainer boxes or booster boxes of new sets sent automatically from the manufacturers? Right now I'm looking for Champions Path ETB's but they are pricey on Ebay or Amazon and who knows if people are weighing the boxes and selling the lighter ones.
I don't collect, but I don't think you can buy directly from manufacturers. If you are worried about them being weighed, I would go with the highly rated sellers, or if they are available directly from an authorized retailer. Not sure that you have many other options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't collect, but I don't think you can buy directly from manufacturers. If you are worried about them being weighed, I would go with the highly rated sellers, or if they are available directly from an authorized retailer. Not sure that you have many other options.

Thanks, I see a lot of people on ebay selling preorders so they must have access to the first shipments.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I thought I would be more enthused with the DLC, but I have yet to even get the first one.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I also skipped the DLC. I just want a more challenging game and it's not going to come it seems.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If you skipped the DLC you missed nothing from the first one. It was just not that good.

The rumor is this second part will be more story based. I hope so.

Really it just feels like Pokemon needs a good studio working on it and not GameFreak. I know how impossible that sounds but you look at AAA RPGs, MMORPGs and the scale, the world size, the details, the different models... compared to Pokemon games? It feels like there are opportunities being lost.

Reactions: JWK and robertmac43

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I liked the first DLC, but I think the second needs to have a lot more content to make the pass overall worthwhile. Hopefully we see some fun stuff tomorrow.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It looks like they brought back Dragonite(?) along with others. A small twist on Max Raid with "Pokemon Dens". A second small twist on Max Raids - "dynamax adventures" where it looks like a progression of a series of max raids in a row with teammates. Get every legendary Pokemon. 2v2 tournament with the gym leaders and stuff.

Releases Oct 22.

Pikachu with various hats will be coming over the next few weeks(?) First one in the video:
upload_2020-9-29_9-18-12.png

Weird anime music video to end. Not particularly impressive. The music is pretty hype and upbeat but I feel like what they showed was not particularly hype so kind of missed the mark for me. The band name was funny "Bump of chicken"?

I'm kind of worried about the lack of story in Crown Tundra. Seems like more of the same as Isle of Armor or whatever it's called but they finally had time to put the couple of twists on raids they talked about immediately after releasing the base game.

It definitely seems better than Isle of Armor but I was hoping for more story and that kind of got glossed over. From what the guy said it sounds like a super short story that immediately moves into a series of battles and ends... and the hope is you'll enjoy and spend time on dynamax adventures.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Thinking I'll just pass on the expansions at this point. Unfortunately this franchise continues to be just average in my mind.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
It looks like they brought back Dragonite(?) along with others. A small twist on Max Raid with "Pokemon Dens". A second small twist on Max Raids - "dynamax adventures" where it looks like a progression of a series of max raids in a row with teammates. Get every legendary Pokemon. 2v2 tournament with the gym leaders and stuff.

Releases Oct 22.

Weird anime music video to end. Not particularly impressive. The music is pretty hype and upbeat but I feel like what they showed was not particularly hype so kind of missed the mark for me. The band name was funny "Bump of chicken"?

I'm kind of worried about the lack of story in Crown Tundra. Seems like more of the same as Isle of Armor or whatever it's called but they finally had time to put the couple of twists on raids they talked about immediately after releasing the base game.

It definitely seems better than Isle of Armor but I was hoping for more story and that kind of got glossed over. From what the guy said it sounds like a super short story that immediately moves into a series of battles and ends... and the hope is you'll enjoy and spend time on dynamax adventures.
I think the dynamax adventures could be a lot of fun, if their online system in this game wasn't complete garbage.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
This is my reaction to the part 2 of the DLC

vIf0lAD.gif

Doesn't even look interesting at all.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think the dynamax adventures could be a lot of fun, if their online system in this game wasn't complete garbage.

I think it could be as well but if it's just a series of raids... I hope there's some twist. Turn based combat is difficult to make variations on so I'm not too upset about it.

Also yeah, Nintendo needs to up their online capabilities. Xbox and Playstation had it figured out 15 years ago. What the hell, Nintendo?

I think when they replaced Nintendo America's head and I read his first interview.... I was super disappointed. His talk about the online subscription was more along the lines of "yeah we'll add SNES and more games!" which... great... Xbox is releasing a console where I can play all my Xbox games and have a great online experience. Playstation is releasing a console where they will give you access to a larger library of games than Nintendo and their online experience like Xbox is also much better.

There will always be nostalgia for me with Nintendo. It was the first console I managed to convince my parents to buy. But they need to start adapting to the times. I would say LOL Japan but Playstation has their shit together. Why can't Nintendo?

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
The 2nd DLC randomly popped up in my head and I googled when the release date was and to my surprised, it's tomorrow (or today for some of you)!

Holy hell, Gamefreak ruined this franchise for me so badly.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The 2nd DLC randomly popped up in my head and I googled when the release date was and to my surprised, it's tomorrow (or today for some of you)!

Holy hell, Gamefreak ruined this franchise for me so badly.
Lol so I thought it had been out for a while now and thats why no one was talking about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad