Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
That's disappointing to hear. I'm not getting bent out of shape over this too much because the game still looks great and I'm excited for more new pokemon and especially on the Switch. That being said, the whole "Gotta catch them all" thing they've promoted since the beginning loses all meaning now.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wowwwwww...

That might be a dealbreaker for me.
Might? It shows their stupidy to the fanbase.

Giant Pokemon over all the rest? No post launch support of anything of importance.

Probably another awful story for 3 year olds.

Gotta catch 'em all... except like 400 of them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Might? It shows their stupidy to the fanbase.

Giant Pokemon over all the rest? No post launch support of anything of importance.

Probably another awful story for 3 year olds.

Gotta catch 'em all... except like 400 of them.
Like... every mainline game in the series?

Man remember how people bitched about LGPE? And then they bought it anyway.

If you're playing Pokemon for the story man do I have news for you.

I guarantee not a single person here cares about every single Pokemon. I know I sure as hell don't.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Like... every mainline game in the series?

Man remember how people *****ed about LGPE? And then they bought it anyway.

If you're playing Pokemon for the story man do I have news for you.

I guarantee not a single person here cares about every single Pokemon. I know I sure as hell don't.
I never loved the stories, no. But the original few games had some spunk. Once they switched too "everyone is best friends, hehe!" it got absolutely intolerable for me.

And no. Not everyone cares about every Pokemon. In fact, there's probably only 50 or 60 I care about. But if... 30 of those are cut, that severely kills not only my replayability but also any strategy for competitive since my pool is cut off.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I never loved the stories, no. But the original few games had some spunk. Once they switched too "everyone is best friends, hehe!" it got absolutely intolerable for me.

And no. Not everyone cares about every Pokemon. In fact, there's probably only 50 or 60 I care about. But if... 30 of those are cut, that severely kills not only my replayability but also any strategy for competitive since my pool is cut off.
I mean they did that in gen 3, there was nobody in that game worth beating. That's nothing new for the series.

Plus the games are pretty much for kids.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I mean they did that in gen 3, there was nobody in that game worth beating. That's nothing new for the series.

Plus the games are pretty much for kids.
Sure. And so we're the originals. And they weren't completely cringe.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
f*** man, so disappointed by this. I just picked up my Switch last week as well.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
No assets have been taken. The only word they have that's the same is evolution but Nintendo can't copyright that.

I could see Nintendo wanting to sue but I'm not sure what they could sue for after the whole Battle Royale debacle. Those were all ruled to be fine so that kind of makes this impossible to fight.

The ranked competitive looks so cool. You bring 10 temtems and you draft to get 4. But your opponent gets to ban one of your 10 before each pick. The strategy from that alone is just fantastic.

Thanks for the post. I ended up buying to support and played a little bit of alpha.

I don't think anything but Pokemon could fully capture my nostalgia but this game comes close. It reminds you of Pokemon while also being different.

Pretty polished for an alpha. Hopefully it does well. I'll have to pay attention to kickstarters going forward so I can support stuff like this earlier on.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the post. I ended up buying to support and played a little bit of alpha.

I don't think anything but Pokemon could fully capture my nostalgia but this game comes close. It reminds you of Pokemon while also being different.

Pretty polished for an alpha. Hopefully it does well. I'll have to pay attention to kickstarters going forward so I can support stuff like this earlier on.
A lot of kickstarters screw you though so he careful.

And yeah, it's not quite the same feeling... but it's damn close.

I can't wait for it to be complete and on every console. And be able to see even more people running around the MMO.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Tem-Tem looks legit. I've had my eye on it for months now. I really like how it looks.

As for the announcement... I dunno. I still think it's a terrible decision and it's a pretty dangerous precedent to set moving forward, but I'm also sort of becoming more ambivalent about it as time goes on. Which in turn sorta makes me feel disingenuous. Obviously doubling down is pretty tone-deaf on GF's part, especially in a climate where we're seeing numerous companies actually listen to their fanbases and make adjustments accordingly. Feels pretty bad that they don't even seem open to releasing a patch to the game after release to appease people. Sucks.

With all that said, I think the lack of national dex is far from the biggest problem with gen 8. People all over the internet have been pointing out the subpar graphics in the E3 footage considering the generation/platform/etc, the animations, the removal of features from generation to generation, the not-even-hiding-it-anymore catering to gen 1... there are a lot things GameFreak is really skimping on, especially considering what they've delivered in the past. Generally most people have been pretty forgiving of all that but the national dex removal is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'll admit I'm one of those 'cater to gen 1' guys so I have not cancelled my preorder. Temtem seems really good and Pokemon could learn something from it. I was hoping for a lot more from the first core game Switch release.

Reactions: Drop Shock

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I dunno. The no National Dex thing isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm still getting it. The closest thing to a deal breaker is the moronic Dynamax evolution or w/e but I'm still giving it a chance.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Has anyone here heard of Temtem? Cause it's ****ing amazing and Pokemon may have to pick up there game because of it.

It's currently in alpha (you can purchase early on PC to access alpha) with much more to come. It will be on pretty much every console at launch and crossplay is their goal (Sony is being a pain).

The plan is currently sitting at 161+ temtems for launch, but it could be more. It's also an MMO, so they are planning to continue to develop after release.

Endgame will see something like Battle Frontier and also a ranked competitive mode where there will be a pick/ban sequence before the match. They also state it will be far less RNG than Pokemon with battles being won through tactics and strategies.

The devs did a huge AMA here;

And here's the trailer;

Ps. It's not the friendly rival. Your rival is a jerk..... and you can be too if you want!

If this was already discussed I apologize. But I just found it yesterday and can't put it down.

I've read about this in the past and I thought it didn't have a single original idea. It's literally the same thing as Pokemon and no new ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I've read about this in the past and I thought it didn't have a single original idea. It's literally the same thing as Pokemon and no new ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
It's pretty similar to original Pokemon with a better planned competitive mode.

They say there is less RNG in fights and its more about skill.

The stamina system probably the biggest difference and replaces the PP system.

I'm only a few hours into the game. Kind of waiting for full release so I don't spoil all the temtem beforehand.

The Reddit AMA will probably answer better.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
A steel dragon type that looks like Avalugg

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i'm sorry but it literally looks like a sex toy

corviknight is the only new pokemon that has really done anything for me.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I had no idea that it was conceivable to have a dumber evil team than Team Flare and Team Galactic but they've gone out and done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad