Confirmed with Link: POJ re-signed (2 years, $825k AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that there was any doubt he'd sign, but I think him getting signed makes it easier for Hextall to justify trading Pettersson. It's not a huge risk, but I think he'd be better trading one of his NHL D with POJ signed than without him signed.

Also on the 1-way deal, he's waiver eligible next year so I think him getting a 1-way deal was inevitable. They were going to either have to play him in the NHL or risk losing him via trade or waivers.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
1-way deal doesn't mean anything as far as trading a defenseman goes. Just means POJ will.make the same amount of money weather he's in the NHL or the AHL.

But I think POJ needs to pass through waivers, so he's gonna be on the NHL roster anyway. But has nothing to do with 1-way or 2-way.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Or they might trade POJ still. If you want to believe the “insiders” who say BB and RH don’t like POJ as much as the old regime.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
One way. A defenseman has gotta go.
No, it doesn't.

One-way means he gets the same salary in the AHL as the NHL. He can still be sent down and should still be waivers exempt.

Not that there was any doubt he'd sign, but I think him getting signed makes it easier for Hextall to justify trading Pettersson. It's not a huge risk, but I think he'd be better trading one of his NHL D with POJ signed than without him signed.

Also on the 1-way deal, he's waiver eligible next year so I think him getting a 1-way deal was inevitable. They were going to either have to play him in the NHL or risk losing him via trade or waivers.
Thought he had one more year of being exempt?

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Who's going Dumo or Petts.

Maybe Marino but I'd rather not see that.

All about what's offered

POJ replacing Ruhwedel -- yeah I know, they play different sides -- might be an improvement. POJ replacing Petts, much less Dumoulin, is definitely not an improvement and I'm as negative on Petts as anyone. POJ's UPSIDE is Petts 2.0 and he'll need time to reach that level, if he ever does.

I'm all for moving out some of the dead (or declining) wood on the blue line, and replacing it with some desperately needed grit (Friedman by himself isn't nearly enough), or size, or preferably both. That's not POJ. I'd much rather give Beaulieu a chance, if he's even still under contract here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thought he had one more year of being exempt?

Nope. What Empo said.

Which means the one way deal merely confirms what was already obvious - the intention is POJ will be a full time NHL dman this coming season. Although maybe not here, although I feel like the obvious window for that happening has passed.

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
Hell yeah! Another brilliant signing Hextall. That makes, count em, 6 excellent moves so far.

And it's a one way deal. Most likely Pettersson is gone.

Reactions: Dominance

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not impossible they'll carry 8 d I suppose but sure sounds like someone is gonna get moved

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Very happy with this signing, hopefully this is a precursor to moving one of our left d.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
No, last year was his last waiver eligible season. He signed his ELC very early in the the 2017-2018 season, so that was the first year of his waiver exemption. You only get 5 years for that.
I was counting wrong, thanks.

Then, yeah, someone's gotta go ASAP.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Reading the comments it seems like not many see him become a solid 2 way defenseman
Any reasons why ?
He is still young for a D prospect ….

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Reading the comments it seems like not many see him become a solid 2 way defenseman
Any reasons why ?
He is still young for a D prospect ….
Because he’s just not that good.

He’s young though so he can get better.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Would be sick if he took the next step and became a solid bottom pair guy.

I’m sure he’s excited to play with NHL veteran and Cup champ Chad Ruhwedel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad