[Points Game] 2016-17 Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
RULES:
1. Cannot pick a player who's already been picked (first come first serve).
2. May not pick the same player 2 consecutive games.
3. May not pick first, two consecutive times.
4. Thread to be made 24 hours prior to puck drop(anyone can start the points game thread).
5. Player picking ends at puck drop.
6. *If you aren't able to make a pick on time, you can message a fellow member to select a pick for you.*

POINTS SCORING:

Players:

Goal: 2pts
Assist: 1pt
Hat Trick: 10pts
4 goals: 20pts
5 goals: 30pts
5 for Fighting: 1pt
Gordie Howe Hat Trick(Gx2pts, Ax2pts, Fightx2pts): 8pts
*Picking the same players 2 games in a row: -1pt*

Goalies:

Win/OT/Shoot Out Win: 2pts
Shutout: 2pts
Picking Goalie that comes off the bench: 5pts(I.E. Nilsson comes in any time during the game to replace Lehner, you are awarded 5pts).
Goal: 5pts
Assist: 2pts
5 for fighting: 1pt

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Without a rules change, there's no way I'm playing this this year.
More like the "be on at 7:01pm the day before a game" game

I was going to suggest you can only make the first pick every three or four games.

I was also going to suggest if the every other game rule stays - that you can only pick first once per week.
A week being what a fantasy week is - Monday through Sunday.

Last edited:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I was going to suggest you can only make the first pick every three or four games.

I was also going to suggest if the every other game rule stays - that you can only pick first once per week.
A week being what a fantasy week is - Monday through Sunday.

I'm fine with making it once every 10 days. I also wanted to change some of the scoring but didn't want to make it seem like I was making it my game.. We can all be open for feedback. It wasn't posted by anyone so I got the ball rolling.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Maybe a bonus point if the goal scored is a power-play goal - shorthanded goal - game winning goal - empty-netter.
3 bonus points if its a game-winning goal scored via an empty-netter - LOL!

Gordie Howie Hat Trick - Goal-Assist-Fight - should be worth 9 points - after-all "Mr. Hockey" did wear the #9.

I think if you pick a goalie and he gets a shutout - should be worth more than 2 points - 3 points so 5 points total for a shutout win.
Also if a goalie fights - should be worth more than 1 points - at least 3 points - at the most 5 points.

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Were the goalies supposed to get points for items other than wins and entering mid-game? I don't believe I ever awarded any during my updates. Granted if someone pointed out a nistake we always corrected it so maybe it never happened to goalies picked for our game.

Limiting the frequency of starting a thread is a good idea. I don't even care if it is once every two weeks. There should be a provision that if a thread has not been started X (12?) hours before puck drop then anyone can start one and it would simply reset their two weeks. Not sure what the best way to handle it is. Maybe it is better to use a number of games instead of weeks. Divide the games into groups of 8 with one group of 10 and you can only start one thread per group of games however if the 12 hour or whichever window we decide passes then anyone can start a thread even if you already have for the current group of games.

Last edited:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Before I update standings (I'll try my best to do it once weekly so it's 3-4 games in one update) I want to make sure those playing agree with any rule changes.

Proposed rule changes:
1. You cannot start a game more than 1 time in a 10 day period. However, if a game has not started 10 hours before puck drop and you are within you're 10 day period, you can start the game and begin a new 10 day period.

2. Point scoring
2a. Power Play Point - 1pt per PPG or PPA in addition (PPG becomes 2pts + 1pt = 3pts)
2b. Shorthanded Goal - 3pts extra in addition (SHG becomes 2prs + 3pts = 5pts)
2c. Gordie Howe Hattrick - change the bonus to 5pts instead of multiplying point totals by 2 to effectively make a Gordie Howe Hattrick worth 9pts (2pts G + 1pt A + 1pt F + 5pts bonus =9pts)
2d. Shutout bonus worth 5pts
2e. Goalie fights worth 5pts

Would like feedback from at least 10-15 people who play to make changes

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
you should develop a weighting system...

Pick First = 75% of point value
Pick 2 - 5 = 80% of point value
Pick 6 - 10 = 95% of point value
pick 11 - 15 = 100% of point value
pick 16+ = 110% of point value

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016

This is a nice idea. I agree that this is just a contest to see who posts first. Yeah it's nice that you can't post first twice in a row, but you can post 2nd for the entire season. I was thinking you shouldn't be able to post in the first hour twice in a row but then it becomes a waiting game. This is much better. You still have the issue of picking first so you may have to do a hybrid.

Before I update standings (I'll try my best to do it once weekly so it's 3-4 games in one update) I want to make sure those playing agree with any rule changes.

Proposed rule changes:
1. You cannot start a game more than 1 time in a 10 day period. However, if a game has not started 10 hours before puck drop and you are within you're 10 day period, you can start the game and begin a new 10 day period.

2. Point scoring
2a. Power Play Point - 1pt per PPG or PPA in addition (PPG becomes 2pts + 1pt = 3pts)
2c. Gordie Howe Hattrick - change the bonus to 5pts instead of multiplying point totals by 2 to effectively make a Gordie Howe Hattrick worth 9pts (2pts G + 1pt A + 1pt F + 5pts bonus =9pts)

I always questioned PPP in my fantasy leagues (and PIM). Don't we want to have players who can score at ES? Isn't that just as if not more important for the analytics crowd? So why reward PPP? SHP makes sense.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

Neat idea, but way too much math for me to keep track of. And if there are multiple people updating it could get messy.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

Proposed rule changes:

2. Point scoring

I don't think you should add an extra point for a power play point...They are too common, and most likely it will be the good players anyways scoring....

Everything else looks good....I would add 1 extra point for game winning goal though.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
I took a crack at the updates but I am not putting the points out until I can audit this. These are through the month of Oct only, up to and including the Winnipeg game.

One thing I will say is that from this point on use the format of: Your exact signon name - Player's last name - Team with 3 letters capitalized

So an entry should look like this: ThunderD - Eichel - BUF

If people keep putting things like: TD: Jack, Buf or anything other than the format above then things will not get counted going forward as different formats, extra spaces, lack of spaces, different names, etc. screws up all the automated calculations I built to do this.

As well, most people have caught on as to include the names above you and to keep copying and pasting that as things go forward. If you don't follow what everyone else is doing, it makes it way too hard for someone to individually count each post and sort through those. If you are just too lazy to do that then as well, your entry will not get counted.

Each game means if you played every game. Picked twice are the 2 times someone picked a player 2 games in a row, both of those occurred with the Fla game (Min, Fla for one and Fla, Win for the other).

pointsgamestandingsthruoct.jpg

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Here are the updated standings up to and including yesterday's game against Boston. I know it looks suspicious that the guy doing the counting is also the guy in 1st place. However, you can easily look at the picks and verify a few reasons why I am in first. First of all, I looked at the 10 people behind me and saw how many times each of us picked a player who didn't score at all and got 0 points for the night. To no surprise, I lead the league in that category with only 8 times. As well, the higher you are in the standings the fewer occurences you tend to have of that happening. Also, no one as far as I looked had more than 1 game of a player scoring 4 points or more in one game causing them to jump in the standings based on just a few games. I only have 1 game of 3 points as well.

I know the next thing people are going to say, who ever starts the thread most often gets the most points. That is not the case with me. I did have my 1 good game of picking Eichel first against the Rangers the other day. Take that out and in my last 10 games, I had 3 games of no points (I picked Oshie one game who didn't play, Dzingel in the OTT game and the DET game was a 1-1 game before the SO so a lot of people got zero for that game). In my other 7 games I did get at least a point but you can see to the right that I was mainly picking low guys because I had made the 8th pick or later with the exception of picking Frolick with the 4th pick in the CAL game and I imagine very few people would've picked him that high anyway.

Any feedback is nice, if anyone wants to audit the results please feel free.

pointsgamestandingsthru3dec.jpg

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for putting it all together ThunderD! Do you have the specific point values?

I used what was in the OP so it's basically 2 pts for a goal, 1 pt for an assist, 2 points for a goalie win, 1 pt for a shutout. Only once did someone get an extra point for picking a player who was in a fight, and one time someone picked Mason who came off the bench and got 5 points for that when Philly came back from 3-0 and beat us. There are other things but no one has picked a player yet who did one of them (4-5 goals, goalie gets a point, etc.).

My only question and Buffalo answered this was if there was a hat trick would you get 10 points instead of 6 points for it or 10 points in addition to the 6 points for 16 points total. He said you only get 10 points. I actually am not sure how the Gordie Howe hat trick is scored because that seems like it would be in addition to it but he put the point totals in there.

We all passed on Hoffman in that Ottawa game (and I picked Dzingel when all the other players I wanted were taken) but it will be 10 points instead of 6 points.

I don't imagine anyone getting a GH hat trick but you guys can still choose how that one gets scored. I just enter a number into a formula so it doesn't bother me either way. Just choose before someone scores one, haha.

NOTE: it should be noted that a number of people picked the same player 2 games in a row, so not only did they lose out on the points the 2nd game they also got a -1 that 2nd game instead.

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I used what was in the OP so it's basically 2 pts for a goal, 1 pt for an assist, 2 points for a goalie win, 1 pt for a shutout. Only once did someone get an extra point for picking a player who was in a fight, and one time someone picked Mason who came off the bench and got 5 points for that when Philly came back from 3-0 and beat us. There are other things but no one has picked a player yet who did one of them (4-5 goals, goalie gets a point, etc.).

My only question and Buffalo answered this was if there was a hat trick would you get 10 points instead of 6 points for it or 10 points in addition to the 6 points for 16 points total. He said you only get 10 points. I actually am not sure how the Gordie Howe hat trick is scored because that seems like it would be in addition to it but he put the point totals in there.

We all passed on Hoffman in that Ottawa game (and I picked Dzingel when all the other players I wanted were taken) but it will be 10 points instead of 6 points.

I don't imagine anyone getting a GH hat trick but you guys can still choose how that one gets scored. I just enter a number into a formula so it doesn't bother me either way. Just choose before someone scores one, haha.

NOTE: it should be noted that a number of people picked the same player 2 games in a row, so not only did they lose out on the points the 2nd game they also got a -1 that 2nd game instead.

Actually I was asking about the point values in the standings.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Here's the standings through tonight that I came up with. Someone put in "ROR" instead of "O'Reilly" and their totals for tonight didn't get added in. If someone else comes up with something to cross check these against let me know.

I'm leading the way with only 10 games of 0 points, Woodhouse is 2nd with only 13 games of 0 points. I am also 1 of 2 people to have a 4+ point game (1 coming tonight when I chose Carter who got 2 goals).

pointsgamestandingsthru13dec.jpg

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Here's the standings through tonight that I came up with. Someone put in "ROR" instead of "O'Reilly" and their totals for tonight didn't get added in. If someone else comes up with something to cross check these against let me know.

I'm leading the way with only 10 games of 0 points, Woodhouse is 2nd with only 13 games of 0 points. I am also 1 of 2 people to have a 4+ point game (1 coming tonight when I chose Carter who got 2 goals).

pointsgamestandingsthru13dec.jpg

These standings are bogus if you don't include everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad