Point vs Marner

Point or Marner

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I should clarify my position. I love Point and think he is a fantastic player and complements Kucherov very well.
I'm mainly responding to the "they are very close offensively so I'll take the center argument". I'm arguing that Marner is materially better offensively when taking their numbers into context.
With that said I can understand people still picking a great all around center in Point despite Marner being superior offensively.
Both great players!
Marner is not materially superior offensively. There’s absolutely no credible argument for that. Point is a materially better goal scorer and Marner is a better playmaker.
Agree with the rest of your post. Both are really good players.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Marner is not superior offensively. Point is a materially better goal scorer and Marner is a better playmaker.
Agree with the rest of your post. Both are really good players.

We can agree to disagree. I've already partially stated in this thread why I believe Marners numbers are much better when taken into context.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We can agree to disagree. I've already partially stated in this thread why I believe Marners numbers are much better when taken into context.
Fair enough. I don’t buy your arguments.
Imo taking everything in context I’d give a slight edge to Point offensively but I could see an argument for treating them equally offensively.
Taking into account the importance of goals, two way play and the Center position I’d take Point even without his much better contract.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov has been getting better every year. Top 5 in scoring last 3 years and hit 100 before last year. No question Point was a good finisher for him though.
Kucherov was still dominating/improving before playing with Point though.
Sure. But he had a 28 point bump. It's a two way street. They had good chemistry and helped each other.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Eh.

12%-15% of your cap for an RFA means a couple things. The kid shows conn smythe level play (Toews, Kane, Malkin) in 1 or more post season runs or is simply a generational level talent (Crosby, McDavid, prime EK, etc).

One of these guys is paid because management thinks he might be that good and the jury sure as **** is still out on that, lol.

They're both really good players at this point and that's all there is to it.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Sure. But he had a 28 point bump. It's a two way street. They had good chemistry and helped each other.

Point still needed his linemate to get 128 points in order for him to get 92 points.
Marner's 94 points led his team in scoring.
It's really not complicated.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Its close but I don't see how you don't take the 40 goal 2 way forward center here.

40 goals with 21% shooting playing with the best player/playmaker in the league last year and on the most dangerous PP in the league with Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedman. He had half his goals on that powerplay.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
40 goals with 21% shooting playing with the best player/playmaker in the league last year and on the most dangerous PP in the league with Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedman. He had half his goals on that powerplay.
Yeah, he was part of the reason that PP was so good. A player still has to score the goals. You can't just throw some 4th liner out in the same spot and expect the same result.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont know how people can say easily for either player. Its close imo. I think both are extremely talented players and would be their teams best player on most teams. Not the case with these two. Both play with exceptional talents. I dont know how you say one is "easily" or "clearly" the better player. People saying that are trolling.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, he was part of the reason that PP was so good. A player still has to score the goals. You can't just throw some 4th liner out in the same spot and expect the same result.

The Tampa power play has been deadly long before he made his mark. Even in 2016-17 when Stamkos only played 17 games they finished 6th in the league.
Do you think Point will lead the league in power play goals again? Shoot 21% ?
I'm just adding context because it's needed. He wouldn't have put up 40 on any other team. He doesn't shoot enough. Marner had more shots than him last year. Point finished tied for 6th in
goals but 94th in shots lol. That could change this year though... and it will need to in order for him to even sniff 40 again.
Bernie Nicholls scored 70 goals playing with Gretzky. Put up 150 points too. ;)

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The Tampa power play has been deadly long before he made his mark. Even in 2016-17 when Stamkos only played 17 games they finished 6th in the league.
Do you think Point will lead the league in power play goals again? Shoot 21% ?
I'm just adding context because it's needed. He wouldn't have put up 40 on any other team. He doesn't shoot enough. Marner had more shots than him last year. Point finished tied for 6th in
goals but 94th in shots lol. That could change this year though... and it will need to in order for him to even sniff 40 again.
Bernie Nicholls scored 70 goals playing with Gretzky. Put up 150 points too. ;)
I'm glad you think Kucherov is comparable to Gretzky. Its about time people started to notice

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point still needed his linemate to get 128 points in order for him to get 92 points.
Marner's 94 points led his team in scoring.
It's really not complicated.

...Marner needed a 40 goal scorer too. You're punishing Point for playing on a better team, when, in reality, he's a big part of why they're better.

Offensively, it's hard to gauge. Point scored 30 goals without Kucherov, and with limited 2nd unit PP time. Gets with Kucherov, and BOTH of their numbers jump. The question isn't which one is better--that's obviously Kucherov--but it's how much they helped each other. And, in that, it goes both ways.

Defensively, it's Point all day, every day. That's really where it gets "not complicated."

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Well at least you addressed one part of my post yet possibly?!? still missed the point there! Haha ;)
I don't know about his shooting % staying but I do think he can put up 40 goals again. He's young and still improving. This year might be different since he won't start playing till late Oct but I don't see why he can't score 40. His shooting percentage is high because he has a really good shot. Again, not saying it will stay that high but there is a reason it was that good.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
...Marner needed a 40 goal scorer too. You're punishing Point for playing on a better team, when, in reality, he's a big part of why they're better.

Offensively, it's hard to gauge. Point scored 30 goals without Kucherov, and with limited 2nd unit PP time. Gets with Kucherov, and BOTH of their numbers jump. The question isn't which one is better--that's obviously Kucherov--but it's how much they helped each other. And, in that, it goes both ways.

Defensively, it's Point all day, every day. That's really where it gets "not complicated."

Marner nearly turned Tavares into a 50 goal scorer.
I don't think it's hard to see that Point was carried much more than Marner was. The team/linemate point totals tell that story pretty clearly.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I don't know about his shooting % staying but I do think he can put up 40 goals again. He's young and still improving. This year might be different since he won't start playing till late Oct but I don't see why he can't score 40. His shooting percentage is high because he has a really good shot. Again, not saying it will stay that high but there is a reason it was that good.

It's possible for sure... He is just going to need to shoot a lot more. There's no denying Point is a great finisher in close.
Once again I love the guy but I just think Marner is superior offensively.
This season should be interesting. I'm hoping Point has a full recovery.

Reactions: Master P

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It's possible for sure... He is just going to need to shoot a lot more. There's no denying Point is a great finisher in close.
Once again I love the guy but I just think Marner is superior offensively.
This season should be interesting. I'm hoping Point has a full recovery.
Thats fair, someone posted their stats on a previous page and it really comes down to what do you need? A goal scoring center, or a play making winger. Each player plays both ends of the rink well, similar age, both play with elite linemates. Can't go wrong with either or.

Reactions: Beyonder91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad