News Article: Poile's PostDraft\Free Agency Post Conference -- blips and blurbs

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Meanwhile every team in the west seems to be making big moves to get better while the Preds are content to stay idle. If they are not carefull they will miss the playoffs next season. LA and Calgary both will be mich improved from last season. Colorado is going to be a much better team. Poile simply isn't doing anything to improve this team at all and lets face it. The team is lacking in some areas and will not contend for a cup as is. I guess the club is simply happy making the playoffs and honestly that isnt even all that hard in te NHL.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Meanwhile every team in the west seems to be making big moves to get better while the Preds are content to stay idle. If they are not carefull they will miss the playoffs next season. LA and Calgary both will be mich improved from last season. Colorado is going to be a much better team. Poile simply isn't doing anything to improve this team at all and lets face it. The team is lacking in some areas and will not contend for a cup as is. I guess the club is simply happy making the playoffs and honestly that isnt even all that hard in te NHL.

What would you recommend doing? Have you taken a look at the available free agents?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we stay put this summer and it's good. There will be some horrible contracts made and teams will come back and regret them in a few years. A depth defenseman is the only acquisition that would be reasonable for us. We are stacked on the offense and our goaltending? Do I even have to explain?

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013

LA might be better, Lucic wasn't great last year and they can't keep Sekera, so we'll see I guess. Calgary might be better, Hamilton is good, but Wideman and Russell played way over their heads last year and team PDO was unsustainable. COL got worse for at least next year IMO, though they could sign some people today. Soderberg is a big downgrade from ROR and Zadorov has been nothing special so far in the NHL.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
FA class this year is very meh, especially from a price/value perspective.
Too easy to end up with another albatross contract IMHO. Agents push for long term AND high dollar on players who really don't provide the punch.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I'll never understand the obsession with desiring change, and a lot of it. Every year the complaints are the same. This team just finished near the top of the West and amongst the tops in the NHL. I'm largely alright with standing pat and raising players from within.

Also, I think Fiala makes the opening night lineup. The kid has skills; pull a Forsberg, throw him in the deep end early next season, and see what shakes out.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'll never understand the obsession with desiring change, and a lot of it. Every year the complaints are the same. This team just finished near the top of the West and amongst the tops in the NHL. I'm largely alright with standing pat and raising players from within.

Also, I think Fiala makes the opening night lineup. The kid has skills; pull a Forsberg, throw him in the deep end early next season, and see what shakes out.

i think you are confusing desire to change with desire to get better and win.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'm just not happy with hoping our currebt group just gets better tgan they were last year. We don't need another volchenkov. We need a strong second pairing lefty d-man. Oh and we could use a center that can win faceoffs other than Gaustad. Vermette is out there and would be an amazing add to this team. We really need a guy like him to sure up the pk and push our third line to a level that can truely contend for a cup. Do people really think Fisher will make it a fill season without an injury. A guy like Vermette adds depth to offset things like that and it is much need on this team. You can't rely on all our young guys getting better all at once and that seems to be what Poile is doing.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
With that said the signing of Jackman makes me happy. Much needed grit and a solid defensive dman that will sure up our defense. Now that Vermette guy is still out there...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm just not happy with hoping our currebt group just gets better tgan they were last year. We don't need another volchenkov. We need a strong second pairing lefty d-man. Oh and we could use a center that can win faceoffs other than Gaustad. Vermette is out there and would be an amazing add to this team. We really need a guy like him to sure up the pk and push our third line to a level that can truely contend for a cup. Do people really think Fisher will make it a fill season without an injury. A guy like Vermette adds depth to offset things like that and it is much need on this team. You can't rely on all our young guys getting better all at once and that seems to be what Poile is doing.
This actually does concern me, because I don't think he'll play more than 60 games. It would be nice to have someone that could play 2/3C that could shoulder the load a bit when Fisher gets hurt, I'm just not sure how practical it is if Jarnkrok truly is the plan for 3C. I also suppose if Fiala sticks you can put him on the 2nd line (if not already) and have Wilson/Smith fill in at center, or maybe it's an opportunity for a guy like Watson/Sissons to center one of the lines, but...

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
This actually does concern me, because I don't think he'll play more than 60 games. It would be nice to have someone that could play 2/3C that could shoulder the load a bit when Fisher gets hurt, I'm just not sure how practical it is if Jarnkrok truly is the plan for 3C. I also suppose if Fiala sticks you can put him on the 2nd line (if not already) and have Wilson/Smith fill in at center, or maybe it's an opportunity for a guy like Watson/Sissons to center one of the lines, but...

If the above does happen we will not contend for a cup. If wevstand pat we can just hope Fisher can last longer this season than he has recently.

Simplt put though Poile and the team management really seem to be ok with just making the playoffs year to year and some fans would e happy with that as well, bbut look at the penguins. Now that is a team that is trying really hard to not just make the playoffs but to win the cup. Boy did they take toronto to the wood shed or what with that trade. Wish Poile was willing to try a trade like that but I dought he even considered it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If the above does happen we will not contend for a cup. If wevstand pat we can just hope Fisher can last longer this season than he has recently.

Simplt put though Poile and the team management really seem to be ok with just making the playoffs year to year and some fans would e happy with that as well, bbut look at the penguins. Now that is a team that is trying really hard to not just make the playoffs but to win the cup. Boy did they take toronto to the wood shed or what with that trade. Wish Poile was willing to try a trade like that but I dought he even considered it.
We'll see. Pittsburgh has consistently struggled with placing sufficient depth around their stars, and this trade, while finally giving Crosby a legit winger (maybe...not certain who Kessel plays with yet), just exacerbates that issue even further. While the value of the deal favors the Penguins, we'll see how the results actually shake out. It's a bold move, but not one that has any more certainty of them achieving results than if they had stood pat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad