News Article: Poile's PostDraft\Free Agency Post Conference -- blips and blurbs

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
-Lots said on the Ribeiro situation. Spoke at length with the player and law enforcement, feel comfortable with moving forward with him. That said, he is NOT signed, and it's either going to "happen or not happen" today.

-If Ribeiro leaves, there's no replacement in-house. They'll look to free agency as plan B.

-Very unlikely to be any other changes to the forward group. Likes the group and is comfortable with it going forward. Any changes are likely to be the result of internal competition.

-Expects Austin Watson to be a Predator going forward, starting with making the team out of camp. Mentioned Moses and Fiala as others that will need to win a job, even if that pushes someone else out of the lineup. It's up to them to prove themselves.

-Mazanec\Saros will be the tandem in Milwaukee next season. Actively trying to trade Hellberg.

-Looking for a physical depth d-man in free agency, similar to Volchenkov last year

-Reiterated happy with the draft, felt they did well for having no first round pick

-Confirmed buyout of Clune and Stalberg. Clune because "the game has changed from when we signed him" and Stalberg because "it just didn't work out for either side," called Stalberg "a bit of an enigma."

-Happy to get Fisher signed, hopes he retires a Predator after 4 or 5 more seasons.

-Continuing negotiations with RFAs, but nothing close. Feels 4 years is a good term for both Smith and Wilson, but again, nothing close

-Shea Weber on track to be ready for training camp after offseason surgery.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Interesting on the Watson part. I hope he changes my mind but I have not been a fan of him. Don't think he fits the Lavy style..more so Trotz style of play.

Where are they going to play him? Wing? If so...its up to Fiala and Moses to push Bourque and Beck out if they resign...

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
David "complacent" Poile to the rescue.

Who is surprised by what he said?

He says this every year.

It is too bad no cap questions and where we are spending at was asked ... It's a shame how we wasted such a valuable asset. Are we still a poor team or are we just pretending to be one because of the man in charge?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Free agency as a replacement for Ribeiro? Good luck with that.

Puzzling the org chose Mazanec over Hellberg

Agreed this could be a disaster. The next best is what Vermette.

I was curious about the Hellberg resigning hoping there would be a Hutton replacement in the mix. It is also a mistake to go into another year with him as the back-up. But what do we know.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Better trade value with Hellberg? This franchise must really believe in Saros.

Saros is a better prospect than Hellberg or Maz. If Hellberg had better trade value, I think he'd be gone by now with all the teams that need goalies or back up goalies.

Replacing Ribs in free agency is a joke. The top 2 are Vermette and Richards.

I believe this roster is another 1st...2nd round at the most exit. There has to be something done to add some more secondary scoring and honestly, primary scoring.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I put Saros as our #2 prospect after Fiala. He's been a fantastic pickup thus far.

Spot on my man.

I'd say top 5
1. Fiala
2. Saros
3. Arvidsson
4. Aberg
5. Kamenev

but Trenin looks to be real solid. hopefully he's ready to go in about 2 years or so...

oh and don't forget Leipsic....oh wait. :shakehead

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
some of you would complain if they hung you with a brand new rope... :shakehead

first, did Poile tip anyone off about the Neal trade? No, and yet it still happened, so Poiles usual "we like what we have" summer pabulum shouldn't be cause for any real reaction. We may do nothing but sign Ribs and a UFA defenseman and quit but we also might pull a huge trade.

second, try to remember that last years team was 100+ points and arguably the second best team in the West. You don't blow up a team after a performance like that, so if he makes a trade, cool, if he simply brings back most of the same from last year, thats not a really bad move.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The Neal trade was also at the draft. And yes it was a 100+ point team but did that 100+ point team make it past the 1st round?

If we had another "elite" scorer to push us over the top, who knows how the 1st round goes.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The Neal trade was also at the draft. And yes it was a 100+ point team but did that 100+ point team make it past the 1st round?

If we had another "elite" scorer to push us over the top, who knows how the 1st round goes.

The issue in the playoffs was not another "ELITE" scorer as you say, but the inability to hold the lead. Part of this is due to the fact that we had to rely on Bartley/Franson on Defense because Weber was sidelined for all but a game and a half. We did outscore Chicago, we did chase their goalies TWICE! But we could not hold the lead, that was our poison pill.

And in regards to Neal, the trade itself was a reactionary trade to being turned down by Spezza. Had Spezza wanted to waive to come here, the Neal trade doesn't happen because Hornqvist is a Senator and Poile did not want to trade the 1st rounder.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
There are always excuses. Results matter. Accountability should be important. I like Poile. I like what he has done. I don't like the results, nor the majority of his deadline deal as a buyer.

If Poile was pleased with this roster, why did he waste a first round pick and mid level prospect at the deadline?

If last years roster was Poiles end game, then he is accepting a first round loss and buying into injuries as an excuse, again.

Like I said, He says this nearly every year. Rarely does he state our obvious and true needs. That said, history has shown that he often plays a conservative and patient offseason. I still think moves should be made, and I thinks he sees them. I have a hard time buying the roster retooling is complete, so I am Guessing most of this is him holding his cards close to his chest while pressuring Ribs to sign.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

or if Weber wasn't hurt, or if one guy with an open shot could have slid a puck by Darling or Crawford....

point is, we are close enough that adding a piece or two would be great, and like all of us I'm hoping Poile can do something that will definitely make us a better team... but I can also accept, better this summer than any in the last 4, that not adding a significant new piece isn't a doomsday scenario (plus we all saw that sometimes adding what appears to be a good piece or two doesn't always produce the desired result, so change just for changes sake is a dangerous proposition)

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
I think being as inactive as Poile is during the offseason hurts the Preds fanbase. Alot of fans follow their favourite players and movement of players opens the eyes of the fans towards the receiving club. Making atleast significant new signing every off season should be a requirement for any GM in my opinion.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think being as inactive as Poile is during the offseason hurts the Preds fanbase. Alot of fans follow their favourite players and movement of players opens the eyes of the fans towards the receiving club. Making atleast significant new signing every off season should be a requirement for any GM in my opinion.

While it is difficult to make a significant signing every offseason I agree that the GM must strive to make the team better each year. We have too often heard how happy Poile is with the team and absent a couple off seasons his big moves to improve has been to sign role players. He is a good GM but his inherent patience to rely on 2nd round pick forwards and below to develop and carry the team thus far is a failure. There have not been many forwards who have been drafted and made it past there initial UFA with the team. There has been a rotating door of young players pushed into roles the have not been ready for too fast. We continue to place our hopes on young guys in this category and are baffled why it takes so long for them to break out or why they sputter along. Why can the organization develop defensemen at such a high level and just fall on there face with forwards is frustrating. I suppose this is why many of us want Poile to be more active in the important times to improve the team. He also needs to quit giving ignorant contracts out in terms of dollars term and NTC to players that are not major pieces of the team. Otherwise you end up with a Stalberg situation or a VLC situation like Philly is in or Chi or Boston who can't move the majority of there players due to NTC's.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Meh...it all comes down to wins and loses. Come December, nobody cares what a GM did in July. We saw it this year. Poile did make moves over the summer and many, like Roy and Joke, were ineffective. All fans were talking about were the W's and L's.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I have to be honest, I don't get the whole "Poile is an inactive GM" myth. I would argue he is in the top half of GMs as far as how often he makes moves. Neal, Forsberg, Franson+Santo, Ribierio, Stalberg, MDZ, Lombardi, Jarnkrok, Roy, Jokinen...these were all decently major moves.

Can anyone name 15 teams that have made more moves/big moves in the last 2-3 years?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
point is, we are close enough that adding a piece or two would be great, and like all of us I'm hoping Poile can do something that will definitely make us a better team... but I can also accept, better this summer than any in the last 4, that not adding a significant new piece isn't a doomsday scenario (plus we all saw that sometimes adding what appears to be a good piece or two doesn't always produce the desired result, so change just for changes sake is a dangerous proposition)

Good post.

There's this obsession with building the perfect roster. But it doesn't exist.

But there is no perfect roster in the playoffs. Even the Blackhawks have a couple of playoff disasters sprinkled in between their Cup wins in the last few years.

The Playoffs are a different animal. So much is just injuries, guys in slumps, or just plain good or bad luck. That's how we end up with 8 seeds hoisting the Cup (or heck, even 2 8-seeds playing for it in Edmonton and Carolina).

This is a good enough team to go far in the playoffs if our all-world defenseman stays healthy and our top goaltender plays like he should. And nothing done in June or July is going to guarantee that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Sounds like the way Doug MacLean ran the Jackets.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Good post.

There's this obsession with building the perfect roster. But it doesn't exist.

But there is no perfect roster in the playoffs. Even the Blackhawks have a couple of playoff disasters sprinkled in between their Cup wins in the last few years.

The Playoffs are a different animal. So much is just injuries, guys in slumps, or just plain good or bad luck. That's how we end up with 8 seeds hoisting the Cup (or heck, even 2 8-seeds playing for it in Edmonton and Carolina).

This is a good enough team to go far in the playoffs if our all-world defenseman stays healthy and our top goaltender plays like he should. And nothing done in June or July is going to guarantee that.

Huh? Carolina won there division the year they won the Cup

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Huh? Carolina won there division the year they won the Cup

My mistake, you are correct.

Nonetheless, we've seen lower seeds go far in the playoffs and win the cup.

From what I've seen in the regular season and against the Blackhawks, there's no reason this team couldn't either.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My mistake, you are correct.

Nonetheless, we've seen lower seeds go far in the playoffs and win the cup.

From what I've seen in the regular season and against the Blackhawks, there's no reason this team couldn't either.

in the old playoff system, Chicago would have been a 5 seed this past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad