Poiles best and worst move in the last 5 years

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
In my opinion giving up Girard for turris was poiles worse move and there were so many to choose from. Hiring hynes was up there as well. His best move was ...............................................uh I guess trading subban and not retaining

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
In the last 5 years
Worst
Hiring hynes
Spending a first round pick on Hartman
Turris trade

best
Dumping subbans full contract and getting some picks/prospects
Ingram for a 7th round pick

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Bad-

Worst has to be hiring hynes and trading for franson/santorelli from the leafs at the deadline. Hartman Trade was bad. Fiala for granlund.

Just about anytime poile trades a 1st or 2nd round pick at or near the trade deadline it’s a mistake.

Good-

getting rid of subban without retaining was great.
Last 5 years? That’s about all i got.

**franson trade was 6 years ago. not much positive regardless with the way things have shaken out

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundgarden

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Never really saw the positives with getting rid of Subban for nothing. Sure, the yearly cap was big, but term wise the contract was kind of perfect. He didnt have a good last season for us and hasnt been all that for NJD, but he'd still give our top 4 a huge boost. I just cant see what positive it has fine for us. Id actually be inclined to put it in a top bad moves list.

To me, the real albatrosses were/are Duchene/Ellis/Turris.

Top 5 Good moves:
1. Cant think of One

Top 5 bad moves:
1. Hynes
2. Girard/Turris
3. 1st for Hartman

Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Subban would not be a boost for our D, unless you think paying a 3rd pair Dman 9 million a season is a good idea. Yes he is worse than Fabbro. Poile moved him at the right time.

My worst would be the Hartman trade followed by Fiala for Granlund. The Turris trade is only there because of the outcome because that is a trade you do every day of the week in the position we were in.

Reactions: PredsV82

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Subban would not be a boost for our D, unless you think paying a 3rd pair Dman 9 million a season is a good idea. Yes he is worse than Fabbro. Poile moved him at the right time.

Dont agree at all with this. He might not be a 9 million dollar, or even a 6 million dollar defenseman anymore. But the Ekholm - Subban (even in His last season here) was on another level and our best defensive pairing.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We have a tendency on this forum to lean heavily on evaluating trades based on the time that they were made and downplay the hindsight evaluation years down the road. I think you have to evaluate them at multiple intervals. Rarely is a trade ever going to look bad when it's made (some certainly do), you can almost always see the justification for trades in the moment. But you also have to look at them a year down the road, two years, five years, ten years...

I mean, if you hired an investment firm, and they lost all of your money, would you give them a pass because the stocks looked good when they bought them?

So we can say both that at the time the Turris deal looked like the right trade, and we can also say that right now it looks god awful as Colorado has Girard and we're paying Turris $2M/season to play somewhere else.

We can look at the Jones for Johansen deal and say at the time it was a very good trade for us to make, and we can also say that the further away from the deal we get the worse it will look, unless Joey finds a way to consistently produce at his highest levels.

Giving up Subban to NJ has potential to go the other way. It looked kind of risky at first, but I think with his decline (even climbing back a little bit) and we ended up taking Afanasyev and Campbell with the 2019 2nd, both of whom could have an NHL impact, Afanasyev especially. We used the other pick to help land Kunin, so there's some waiting to see how he turns out there. Plus Davies could still end up in the NHL, though I think the hype has really died down on him. Finally, it opened up room to sign Duchene, which is a chapter that is still being written. But this trade probably ends up looking really good in the long run.

As with most things in life, there isn't a single bullet point that this topic can be narrowed down too. Not everything fits into 140 characters (or is it 280 now?). We (not just HF) need to get away from distilling everything to black and white, right and wrong, this or that, one extreme or the other. Hockey trades are complex issues that need the perspective of multiple point in time to truly evaluate.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Man after watching that Minnesota game last night that fiala trade is creeping up. You could of built a team around him

I would be very interested to see what we would look like if we had Fiala on a line with Duchene right now. Worst part is if we had just packaged the assets we used for Hartman and Turris we probably could have had Duchene in that 17-18 season.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Best move: Alexei Emelin for a box of packing peanuts.

BTW, the "1st for Hartman" ended up being Nicolas Beaudin.

Last edited:

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
How are you people not including the Erat for Forsberg fleece job he pulled as an all time great move?

Hynes was bad and allowing Legwand to drift off was off-brand for us, considering what we have done with Mike Fisher and are currently doing for Pekka Rinne

oh 5 year limit....

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Fiala and Girard giveaways.... The latter I think we knew at the time was a bad deal. We had had enough of Fiala here I think at the time.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I know people are upset about the Fiala trade. All I can say is he wasn't liked in the locker room and was becoming a bit of a distraction. Have a buddy who is very close to one of the players on the team and this player had nothing good to say about Fiala.

If that breaks the rules mods, go ahead and delete but I stand by this source as they've also nailed some of our biggest moves the last couple of years.

Anyways the best move was getting Josi locked up on an affordable deal. Josi is a top 5 player at his position and anytime you're able to secure a player like that long term, it's the best move you can make.

Worst move is not just hiring Hynes but not making him an interim head coach. Fire able offense IMHO.

Reactions: bdub24

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I struggle with the idea that it was ok to trade Fiala because he was a knucklehead. He was a kid. I am not saying he gets a full pass, but it just feels short sighted is my only point.

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I struggle with the idea that it was ok to trade Fiala because he was a knucklehead. He was a kid. I am not saying he gets a full pass, but it just feels short sighted is my only point.

If a bunch of veteran professional athletes can't handle a young player with an attitude issue then that speaks more to me about them then it does Fiala. I still don't really buy the everyone hated narrative anyways since he seemed to attend weddings for and go on vacation with a lot of guys on the team. I don't doubt that some people probably didn't like him, but I wouldn't expect a group of 20 guys to all be BFF's either.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If a bunch of veteran professional athletes can't handle a young player with an attitude issue then that speaks more to me about them then it does Fiala. I still don't really buy the everyone hated narrative anyways since he seemed to attend weddings for and go on vacation with a lot of guys on the team. I don't doubt that some people probably didn't like him, but I wouldn't expect a group of 20 guys to all be BFF's either.

Not disagreeing that there were probably personality issues afoot. I agree with you though, if players approached me as Poile and said they "didn't like" a player...well I would probably tell them the same thing I would tell my kids. Tough. Get over it. Figure it out.

I'll say looking back to try to make a trade easier to swallow often results in these attitude type discussions.

Jul 12, 2007
Lol what if some players came in said “one more week of this and somebody’s gonna kick the ever loving scheiss outta this guy” ?
Would that be justification for the deal ?
I think the real problem is that Poile just gets crap in return when he lets a good prospect go.
Guys like Turris, Hartman, Duchene, Granlund, Richardson, Boro, just show up and do nothing. Changing that half of the equation would be nice.
It’s like getting Big Mac, Grimson, Gill, and discovering that they have become pacifists on the way to Nashville.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
Isn’t it funny how the word pacifists has “fists” in it ?
Maybe the word really means “passive fists”.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
In hindsight, it's easy to look back at the Jones/Joey trade and bash it, but I still think it was a worthwhile risk. Poile dealt from a position of abundance and got a 23 year old 6' 3' 220lb center that was coming off 26, 33 goals, 63, 71 points respectively seasons. CBJ probably knew that were gambling and knew Joey might have some attitude issues and never reach his full potential. That theory looks likely to come to fruition, but still a worthwhile gamble IMO.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not disagreeing that there were probably personality issues afoot. I agree with you though, if players approached me as Poile and said they "didn't like" a player...well I would probably tell them the same thing I would tell my kids. Tough. Get over it. Figure it out.

I'll say looking back to try to make a trade easier to swallow often results in these attitude type discussions.
I'll say this. I heard we had a player awhile back that was added to our roster late that came in with a big prima-donna attitude. He was very late to the team flight to a game in Detroit, holding the plane up, was caught with a member of the opposite sex in the arena that was part of the arena staff, and stayed out well past curfew during a playoff series. I won't get into who it was and it doesn't matter, when you do things that affect the team like this, then behavior is a problem.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
In hindsight, it's easy to look back at the Jones/Joey trade and bash it, but I still think it was a worthwhile risk. Poile dealt from a position of abundance and got a 23 year old 6' 3' 220lb center that was coming off 26, 33 goals, 63, 71 points respectively seasons. CBJ probably knew that were gambling and knew Joey might have some attitude issues and never reach his full potential. That theory looks likely to come to fruition, but still a worthwhile gamble IMO.

Yeah, me too. I think the Turris trade was just as worthwhile a risk, we obviously lost that gamble, but it's one we should have taken at the time.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Totally. If fiala being traded was because he wasn’t liked then wow. sounds like some high school shit. That’s more an indictment on the current group especially considering the downward trend they have had before and after fiala.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad