"Pogge's lost in goalie shuffle"

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I think he's only 21 years old. Rarely do goalie prospects come up through junior/college and than the AHL without any setbacks. That's why you don't see many 22 year old goalies handed a starting role. The potential is still there, so I don't think he's lost on anybody yet.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The title of the thread is the title of an article on Justin Pogge from 'CHL Insider'.

http://whl.ca/en/members/action/viewArticle/id/7275

On the surface, it seems discouraging for the kid...

After a time when he was touted to be the 'next one' for the Leafs, all that's happened is that he's slid further down the goalie depth chart...

What do you think?

The kid's only 21 and has completed his first year of AHL hockey. I think he needs a couple of years before a definitive assessment can be made of whether or not he is going to be the Leafs #1. You never know - he may respond well to the added competition the Leafs seem to be throwing his way.

DB21

Jun 11, 2007
Pogge is right were I thought he would be. He will stay in the minors until he grows up a little bit. I have never been high on him. Maybe he was succesful in junior with the Hitmen and at the WJC. But as far as I am concerned Dany Devito could backstoped that WJC team to a gold medal. He is a decent goalie but he is way to cocky for his own good. He will grow up some day and become an average starter or a backup for life in the NHL. Take a look at this picture it just oozes with his cockyness.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't get what cockiness has to do with anything...He's young and he clearly has all the tools to be a great goalie. The Leafs know, as does Pogge, that he is not ready for the NHL yet and likely won't be for another 2 years, so this being "lost in the shuffle" is really just a bunch of rubbish.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think there is much to worry about, but personally...I am a Leafs fan and live in Toronto...Pogge is a Leafs prospect, and being developed by them, so yeah there is stuff to worry about. He is far from a sure thing but I just hope he develops slowly and consistently, by all means though is he not our saviour right now and I doubt he becomes a franchise goalie.

Bryzga lol*

Pogge is right were I thought he would be. He will stay in the minors until he grows up a little bit. I have never been high on him. Maybe he was succesful in junior with the Hitmen and at the WJC. But as far as I am concerned Dany Devito could backstoped that WJC team to a gold medal. He is a decent goalie but he is way to cocky for his own good. He will grow up some day and become an average starter or a backup for life in the NHL. Take a look at this picture it just oozes with his cockyness.

Is cockyness a bad thing for a goalie?? Someone better call Patrick Roy!!

But all in all I think it's a coin flip for Pogge. I could see him become the number 1 goalie the leafs wanted, or he could a career backup/AHL goalie. It's way too early to predict his career.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Take a look at this picture it just oozes with his cockyness.

Wow, better shoot a fax off to JFJ and let him know you have photographic evidence of an egotistical cancer about to infect his team come training camp. They might even have to package him with a first to be able to unload such unprecedented cockiness.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Pogge was in a great situation in Calgary/Team Canada. It led to him being rated higher than he perhaps should have been. I've seen him get outplayed in the playoffs by a 16 year old and I've seen him steal games. I think he started to believe the hype and it set him back a bit. He'll come around and be a serviceable keeper. Won't be as good as Rask, but that's another story.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
What do I think? I think I should have saved all those Price vs Pogge threads from a year ago because I'm just that petty.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Pogge is right were I thought he would be. He will stay in the minors until he grows up a little bit. I have never been high on him. Maybe he was succesful in junior with the Hitmen and at the WJC. But as far as I am concerned Dany Devito could backstoped that WJC team to a gold medal. He is a decent goalie but he is way to cocky for his own good. He will grow up some day and become an average starter or a backup for life in the NHL.

In three years time, that cockiness will be referred to as a confidence that keeps him at the top of his game. The trick is, for both him and his coaches, to learn how the manage that raw emotion to get the most out of the player.

mooseOAK*

The title of the article is crazy, Pogge is just where he is supposed to be and there aren't any Leafs goalies on long term deals in his way. Raycroft's contract is over at the exact same time as Pogge's entry level deal.

mooseOAK*

Pogge was in a great situation in Calgary/Team Canada. It led to him being rated higher than he perhaps should have been. I've seen him get outplayed in the playoffs by a 16 year old and I've seen him steal games. I think he started to believe the hype and it set him back a bit. He'll come around and be a serviceable keeper. Won't be as good as Rask, but that's another story.

Calgary? They were one of the lowest scoring teams in the WHL, hardly a great situation for the goalie.

Courage*

The title of the thread is the title of an article on Justin Pogge from 'CHL Insider'.

http://whl.ca/en/members/action/viewArticle/id/7275

On the surface, it seems discouraging for the kid...

After a time when he was touted to be the 'next one' for the Leafs, all that's happened is that he's slid further down the goalie depth chart...

What do you think?

I don't see how he has "slid (sic) down the goalie depth chart." It's not as though he played any NHL games or was even expected to. He's right about where he should be. He'll start the majority of the games for the Marlies and work on his game. If he kicks it up a notch, he makes Raycroft expendable. Where's the problem.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I think Pogge learned a lot last year. In a recent article(can't remember where) he mentioned his ego, and how he sees it got in his way a bit last year. He says he's learned not to make every save a showstopper, that if you can just stand and block the shot when necessary.

I think this year will be a good year for Pogge. He may not be another Roy or Brodeur, but with the goalie situation, I think after this in the A, the plan is to bring him up and backup Toskala, with Raycroft being moved in some fashion. I think Raycroft will help matters by trying to play one-up with Toskala, having a better avg, and making himself marketable to a team next year with 1 year and 2 million in salary for a then 27(?) year old goalie. Someone will take him with that type of contract.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
155 goals against also. In 54 starts he faced 30 or more shots 6 times and less than 20 14 times.

http://whl.ca/en/stats/gamebygame.php?id=23972&seasonId=225

That said, he played the role perfectly and was huge when he had to be. He's got talent.

I personally didn't like the tone of the article. It paints the picture as though Pogge should be starting for the Leafs after one year in the minors. I don't know if Pogge is really 'lost in a goalie shuffle' when he'll still start for the Marlies next year - right where he should've been anyway.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
155 goals against also. In 54 starts he faced 30 or more shots 6 times and less than 20 14 times.

http://whl.ca/en/stats/gamebygame.php?id=23972&seasonId=225

Wouldn't the goalie also have something to do with a low GA #?

I think Pogge is going to be a good goalie in the NHL. He had difficulty adjusting to the Pro game behind a very bad Marlies team, but in the few games I saw at the end of the year, he played very well.

The article is silly however. He is progressing fine. As most know, goalies usually take a long time to develop. I don't think even the biggest Leaf homer would think he's ready to play full time in the NHL next year, and the Leafs needed experienced goaltending in the NHL right now.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Wouldn't the goalie also have something to do with a low GA #?

Absolutely. I was just backing up my comments about him being in a good situation when he was with the Hitmen. He wasn't overworked and was blessed with a strong D in front of him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see how he has "slid (sic) down the goalie depth chart." It's not as though he played any NHL games or was even expected to. He's right about where he should be. He'll start the majority of the games for the Marlies and work on his game. If he kicks it up a notch, he makes Raycroft expendable. Where's the problem.

Raycroft is already expendable.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Pogge doesn't have the talent to be an elite NHL goalie. Trading Rask and keeping him was a major blunder for the Leafs.

mooseOAK*

Who is to say the Leafs didn't try to offer up Pogge first and Boston demanded Rask?

Pogge would be a Bruin now if that were the case. Pogge was signed, had been to a camp and was working with McKichan and was well on his way to becoming a Leaf when the trade was made so Toronto knew who they wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad