GDT: PO Game 3: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 4/21 7PM EDT

IHeartZherdev*

he's supposed to be a goal scorer, he had 5 goals in 21 games so far, that's not an elite goal scorer making 7.5 million a year, he's not paid to get second assists. And with that, I'm never speaking of him again, I'm only interested in the players that we have on this team.

Players like Matt Frattin? He's been a big help this series.

Kentucky

Mar 25, 2014
Honestly, that is a loser's mentality and is completely wrong. Remember the Isles, lead by young star John Tavares, also challenged the Pens in the first round last year...and this year they dropped back to being the worst in the league. Hard to imagine Washington and Carolina not being much improved next year as well.

The playoffs are not guaranteed next year and this isn't necessarily a stepping stone. This is a big opportunity and its painful to watch the team throw it away.

On top of that - guys like Wiz and RJ and high paid pros, who are in their 30's with playoff experience. We pay them top dollar for games like this, and to have the third period they did was inexcusable.

Dubi, Foligno, Anisimov, Comeau, Mackenize - these guys are veterans. This idea that the team is just a bunch of kids who should just be happy to be there really bothers me.

Im sorry that you are taking my opinion as a "loser's mentality". The "future" does not mean "next season". The future is the next game. The mistakes,being timid to shoot, getting comfortable with the lead and taking the foot off the gas are things that can be learned and correctly by the next game. I agree that the the veterans must not collapse like they did in the 3rd last night.

Yes, we have veterans on the team, but this specific team is in the playoffs for the first time together, so there is learning to be done. I fully believe in this team and feel that we can and will beat the Pens.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He better get here real quick, 2 more losses and we're out

JK should have traded him for Kopitar, that's what Zherdev seems to think should have gone down. You can only get what people are willing to offer...the market was a 2nd and 3rd and Frattin was a throw in for a NHL body because we were depleted at the time and they wanted to dump salary

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Why exactly is this being argued about again? Gaborik in first two playoff games...0 goals, 0 assists, -1, 16:22 TOI. 6-3 and 7-2 losses. He may have helped here, I've said that, but I've got to agree, you've got to move on and quit re-hashing it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd like to ask something to the people that watched the game on television, but what was up with the penalty on Foligno? He stopped at the goalie, didn't spray him with ice or anything, and stood there. The Pitts defender came up and pushed him but Foligno didn't do anything, he didn't even look at the Pitt player, I was standing right there four rows behind the net. Umberger came in running his mouth, but I didn't see Foligno do anything, unless he started talking crap after Umberger came in.

There appeared to be a slight bit of contact between MAFs cage and Folignos leg-contact which was initiated by MAF. That's the only justification which I can imagine.

The real justification is that Team Crysby was down 2-0 at the time. Gotta do what you can for the team which bumped The Montreal Canadiens (Canada's lone playoff team) off of Hockey Night in Canada (Saturday nite) due to the desires of the NHL. Or so my most cynical side thinks.

Total Penalties (all minors) in the series:

CBJ... 17
PIT... 13

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Honestly, that is a loser's mentality and is completely wrong. Remember the Isles, lead by young star John Tavares, also challenged the Pens in the first round last year...and this year they dropped back to being the worst in the league. Hard to imagine Washington and Carolina not being much improved next year as well.

The playoffs are not guaranteed next year and this isn't necessarily a stepping stone. This is a big opportunity and its painful to watch the team throw it away.

On top of that - guys like Wiz and RJ and high paid pros, who are in their 30's with playoff experience. We pay them top dollar for games like this, and to have the third period they did was inexcusable.

Dubi, Foligno, Anisimov, Comeau, Mackenize - these guys are veterans. This idea that the team is just a bunch of kids who should just be happy to be there really bothers me.

If you're going to spray this much bullplop everywhere, at least stand next to my garden so it's doing some good.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
JK should have traded him for Kopitar, that's what Zherdev seems to think should have gone down. You can only get what people are willing to offer...the market was a 2nd and 3rd and Frattin was a throw in for a NHL body because we were depleted at the time and they wanted to dump salary

Or could say "no".

IHeartZherdev*

Vanek, Moulson, Hemsky, Stempniak, Ott, Callahan, Stewart, Goc, Legwand, etc, all moved to strengthen playoff teams. As you said, for the most part, prices were cheap (outside of Callahan)

I think Jarmo made a huge error by subtracting Gabby (while keeping the payroll) and then not adding anything. I've seen plenty of contenders stand pat, or add, but to subtract without adding was IMO a really bad move. No, I don't think he could have traded for Kopitar or something crazy but yes, I think considering our stud young guys, plethora of picks last year and good prospect base, we could have parted with some draft picks to add a guy like Moulson if we were going to part with Gabby.

I'd have been fine with standing pat with a healthy Gabby or if they really wanted to be rid of him, at least do something to bring a piece in that can play/help the playoff run.

IHeartZherdev*

If you're going to spray this much bullplop everywhere, at least stand next to my garden so it's doing some good.

I don't think anything I posted was really that out there...whats the issue? You don't think we have veteran players?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Vanek, Moulson, Hemsky, Stempniak, Ott, Callahan, Stewart, Goc, Legwand, etc, all moved to strengthen playoff teams. As you said, for the most part, prices were cheap (outside of Callahan)

I think Jarmo made a huge error by subtracting Gabby (while keeping the payroll) and then not adding anything. I've seen plenty of contenders stand pat, or add, but to subtract without adding was IMO a really bad move. No, I don't think he could have traded for Kopitar or something crazy but yes, I think considering our stud young guys, plethora of picks last year and good prospect base, we could have parted with some draft picks to add a guy like Moulson if we were going to part with Gabby.

I'd have been fine with standing pat with a healthy Gabby or if they really wanted to be rid of him, at least do something to bring a piece in that can play/help the playoff run.
This.....the fact we didnt replace Gaborik is more the heart of the issue. We werent holding down a top spot, we were barely keeping our heads above water for a wildcard spot.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't think anything I posted was really that out there...whats the issue? You don't think we have veteran players?

Of course there are veteran players. However, these veterans don't hit the following criteria:
- Age. You referred to "in their 30s", but the oldest player (MacKenzie) is 32. It's a case of dishonest grouping.
- Playoff experience. Even the guys with the most playoff experience acquired said experience while playing in a role substantially less than what they're doing now. Wisniewski was 5th on Anaheim and 4th in Montreal in average ice time; he's 2nd on this team. Tyutin had 28 playoff games before this season, and he was also 5th and 4th on the Rangers. Foligno has 17 games of playoff experience with 3rd-line minutes, Comeau had 0 games, Letestu 11 (with 4th-line minutes). Dubinsky and Anisimov combined had 57 games of playoff experience coming into this season; Crosby alone had 82, Orpik 87, Kunitz 99, Martin 67, and so on.

Pittsburgh core is not only substantially more experienced, but they're also substantially more experienced in the roles that they're being asked to play. Yes, Derek MacKenzie is 32...and he now has one playoff goal in his three career playoff games. The last truly "big games" he was asked to play in at a high level were in the WJC 15 years ago. That doesn't compare to any core player on Pittsburgh...or depth player...or player who has no business being on an NHL roster.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think we had any room to add any of those players with our salary cap, I could be wrong, but I don't think that was an option. And why get a rent a player when we were a borderline playoff team? We are trying to build a foundation for the long term, not be like the Yankees and have a different roster every year...

IHeartZherdev*

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think we had any room to add any of those players with our salary cap, I could be wrong, but I don't think that was an option. And why get a rent a player when we were a borderline playoff team? We are trying to build a foundation for the long term, not be like the Yankees and have a different roster every year...

I feel like the foundation is already built. We have Jenner, Murray, Johansen, developed through the draft. Finally we have a #1 goalie.

We have solid players currently in their primes with good chemistry, all signed and committed to the team: Dubie, Arty, Wiz, Jack, Foligno, Horton, Calvert, Cam etc.

I'm not saying have a different top 6 every year but most teams do turnover at least a few roster spots each year.

IHeartZherdev*

Of course there are veteran players. However, these veterans don't hit the following criteria:
- Age. You referred to "in their 30s", but the oldest player (MacKenzie) is 32. It's a case of dishonest grouping.
- Playoff experience. Even the guys with the most playoff experience acquired said experience while playing in a role substantially less than what they're doing now. Wisniewski was 5th on Anaheim and 4th in Montreal in average ice time; he's 2nd on this team. Tyutin had 28 playoff games before this season, and he was also 5th and 4th on the Rangers. Foligno has 17 games of playoff experience with 3rd-line minutes, Comeau had 0 games, Letestu 11 (with 4th-line minutes). Dubinsky and Anisimov combined had 57 games of playoff experience coming into this season; Crosby alone had 82, Orpik 87, Kunitz 99, Martin 67, and so on.

Pittsburgh core is not only substantially more experienced, but they're also substantially more experienced in the roles that they're being asked to play. Yes, Derek MacKenzie is 32...and he now has one playoff goal in his three career playoff games. The last truly "big games" he was asked to play in at a high level were in the WJC 15 years ago. That doesn't compare to any core player on Pittsburgh...or depth player...or player who has no business being on an NHL roster.

It's not dishonest. Wiz is 30, RJ is 31, and both were handed huge, lucrative, above market contracts in a show. Neither deserves to have excuses made for them. Wiz had an awesome year but now is the playoffs when we really need him.

As far as fourth liners go, I don't think Craig Adams is somehow at a huge advantage over D-Mac just beacuse of experience. Fourth line ham-and-egger shot blockers job doesn't change much come playoff time.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Jarmo, and Jd have made it clear they are building brick by brick to accomplish the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup. Maybe u think Gaborik made this team a legitimate contender this season, but they sit tight with Gaborik, he walks at the end of the season. Maybe, we use the 2nd and 3rd and our 1st to package for a young player that makes team better for long term, maybe we package those picks to move up into the first round for a player that could make a difference next year, or maybe, we just keep the picks, and draft another player like Boone Jenner in the second round. Some may be mad that Jarmo didnt do everything in his power to make this team as good as possible, but I think both him and Jd have stated the goal from the beginning, and are working towards that goal. If nothing was there, and they felt this made our team better for the future, I'm willing to see how it plays out. As it stands, we had the 3 first round picks last year, and this year we will have our first, plus 2 seconds, and 2 third round picks. These 2 drafts could really set our organization up for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad