GDT: PO Game 1: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/12 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm guessing Carlsson-Quincey will be the pairing next game. They won't need to play a lot of minutes - the big thing is the coaches don't want to have to put Werenski on the PK, so they need one third pair guy to step up there. Harrington on the PK does not work. Nuti and Carlsson can't do it either. Quincey is probably going to be the guy to PK alongside Jones.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think folks could stand to stop exaggerating this. The Jackets had more shot attempts with traffic in the first period than in many entire games from the last month.

One shot, on the PP, was classified as a high danger chance in the first period.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
One shot, on the PP, was classified as a high danger chance in the first period.

Exactly. Everything seemed to come from the perimeter. And when it came from the high slot/middle of the blueline, it would get blocked. The shots that wound up finding the net were easily controlled by Fleury.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We had four "high danger" chances all game...we averaged 9.5 during the regular season. Pittsburgh had 9. Don't really give a **** about Corsi/possession when you're losing the high-danger battle that badly. For the regular season, we generated 12+ high danger chances per game and had nearly 51% of high-danger chances during the game. Last night we only had 31%. You're going to get swept if that doesn't even out closer to 50/50.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
Won't happen. If it's like 2014, there will be significantly fewer Pens fans in the building. Last time there were probably a couple thousand if memory serves. Not a factor at all, not like the regular season.

Agree with this. In 2014 playoffs, Pens fans were barely noticeable.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You should rewatch the first - have a look at the condensed game or highlights or something.

A couple plays I remember: Foligno had a wide open net , puck in the crease, and couldn't get a stick on it. Werenski had a clean look from 20 ft, Fleury played it really well but there's no way that's not a dangerous play.

I remember the Foligno play. I assume if there is no shot generated then it's not considered a chance-which makes sense in terms of the stat. I'll settle on "near dangerous" on that one.

Don't remember the Werenski shot. I will say this about him. He just has incredible offensive instincts. He thinks the offensive game at a very high level. Every time he has the puck in the ozone, there's a strong possibility of good things happening.

The CBJ are prohibitive underdogs and they came out flying in period one. That's often the case for the underdog. Pittsburgh may have been on their heels given the goaltending situation. Imagine how the Jackets would probably play if Bob were injured in warm ups and Korpi was in. I'll dismiss the period on these grounds.

What we saw in period 2 is what the CBJ are up against. If Pittsburgh is on its game, we have no chance to win this series. None. Add in that Malkin and Crosby weren't firing offensively and the prognosis is very, very grim.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Just saw a stat which said that the Jackets had no "high danger" chances in the first. So, the first period wasn't as dominant as the raw shots stats would suggest.

After the first, the Jackets didn't belong on the same sheet of ice as the Pens. Pittsburgh played great team defense...

Watching the game, even in the first period, I felt the Jackets were not in position to capitalize on rebounds and I thought it was due Pittsburgh's discipline and structure on defense.

I also feel this team's personnel is so different than the '14 team and they hadn't yet learned the level needed for the playoffs. I think we will probably see continual improvementioned as the series goes on.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
The Jackets need to score soon. If the Pens score on their fifth shot it could be devastating. Keep the pressure up.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I posted this at the end of the 1st last night. This phenomena can be seen in many sports by many teams so its not limited to our beloved Jackets. If they dominate the play but not the scoreboard and the other team scores, its common for the other team to collapse a bit. I believe that if the Jackets could have scored at least one in the first then the game is VERY different.
They got a couple of bad bounces in the 1st that had they gone the other way or gotten a stick on a puck, etc then it would have been a very different result.
No doubt they were stunned after the 2 Pens goals but I love the way they battled back and competed in the 3rd. I am looking forward to a good series but its so hard to predict because momentum can be a tricky mistress.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I remember the Foligno play. I assume if there is no shot generated then it's not considered a chance-which makes sense in terms of the stat. I'll settle on "near dangerous" on that one

Right, it was not a "high danger shot attempt" - which is a shot attempt from a defined box in front of the net. A high danger scoring chance is different - it's a subjective stat so it's less reliable in aggregate but will give you a better picture for an individual game. Foligno's chance was definitely a high danger scoring chance. Lately people (not just you) have been mixing up the terms, calling the hdsa's "scoring chances", which is incorrect. I'm not sure that's the stat you are actually referring to though, I haven't seen a link.

Don't remember the Werenski shot. I will say this about him. He just has incredible offensive instincts. He thinks the offensive game at a very high level. Every time he has the puck in the ozone, there's a strong possibility of good things happening.

Do you still believe that the Jackets can't develop elite players and the literally only way to progress is to finish dead last often enough to draft #1OA?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you still believe that the Jackets can't develop elite players and the literally only way to progress is to finish dead last often enough to draft #1OA?

I (don't know about CR) never said they couldn't but I sure as hell wish we didn't have late season winning streaks that lessened our chances for McD and Matthews. Mcd or Werenski - ainec although Werenski is great;
Matthews or PLD - ainec.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Why did Pittsburgh get to jam their stick into Wennberg's grille in the face off circle and all that happened is they talk to Wennberg and drop the puck again?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why did Pittsburgh get to jam their stick into Wennberg's grille in the face off circle and all that happened is they talk to Wennberg and drop the puck again?

I'm guessing they can't call high stick since the play hadn't started yet.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

What bothered me even more was Wennberg whining to the ref and then losing the next face-off.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm guessing Carlsson-Quincey will be the pairing next game. They won't need to play a lot of minutes - the big thing is the coaches don't want to have to put Werenski on the PK, so they need one third pair guy to step up there. Harrington on the PK does not work. Nuti and Carlsson can't do it either. Quincey is probably going to be the guy to PK alongside Jones.

Me too. I guess Torts thinks otherwise. I hope this isn't Stubborn Torts reincarnated from the Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot