Plymouth Whalers 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We noticed that GM Mark Craig seems to be doing more coaching behind the bench than head coach Don Elland -- and John Vigilanti is no longer behind the bench. Maybe that's why the team played maybe it's best game of the season last night against Belleville.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
That's awesome to hear. The last game I saw was against Sudbury in mid January and with the GM behind the bench, the team just seemed more of a team and wanting to work. Lines were consistant. But glad to hear it's somewhat being fixed. Never was a fan of uncle fester behind the bench.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Was listening to 760WJR yesterday and heard a Plymouth Whalers hockey commercial.

Isnt it a little late for that??? Where was the promotion when they should have done it.

I thought it a bit strange............:shakehead

bloodandashes

Feb 5, 2015
Anyone here have info on Crus Rydbergs plans for next season? Whats the next step?
And, what are your thoughts about his time in Whalers?
We kinda want him to come back home to Linköping :)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Anyone here have info on Crus Rydbergs plans for next season? Whats the next step?
And, what are your thoughts about his time in Whalers?
We kinda want him to come back home to Linköping :)

I believe he is eligible for the AHL next season, but am not sure the Islanders will offer him an entry level contract to go there. Honestly, he has not provided the offensive output that was hoped for when he arrived at the start of last season. He has missed quite a few games with injuries, so I do not know if that had anything to do with the disappointing performance. I could see the Islanders letting him become a free agent, depending on how many contract spots they have available.

bloodandashes

Feb 5, 2015
I believe he is eligible for the AHL next season, but am not sure the Islanders will offer him an entry level contract to go there. Honestly, he has not provided the offensive output that was hoped for when he arrived at the start of last season. He has missed quite a few games with injuries, so I do not know if that had anything to do with the disappointing performance. I could see the Islanders letting him become a free agent, depending on how many contract spots they have available.
So he might ending up spending another year in Plymouth?
Also, which position have he played in? Center or RW?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
So he might ending up spending another year in Plymouth?
Also, which position have he played in? Center or RW?

Well, he definitely will not be playing in Plymouth, since the team is moving at the end of the season. :sarcasm: He could possibly end up back with the franchise in Flint next season, but it is difficult to speculate what the team will do, since there should be a entirely new front office and coaching staff next season.

He's played mostly at center while here.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Was watching Local4 news and they said the new name of the Flint team will be the Flint Stones??? Did i hear right?? :laugh:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Was listening to 760WJR yesterday and heard a Plymouth Whalers hockey commercial.

Isnt it a little late for that??? Where was the promotion when they should have done it.

I thought it a bit strange............:shakehead

During the 2nd period of last night's Canadiens - Bruins telecast on NBC Sports, there was an actual Plymouth Whalers commercial. I had the same feelings as you -- too little, too late. It actually ticked me off.

It would have been nice to see these commercials a couple of seasons ago.

mkhopper

Jan 20, 2015
During the 2nd period of last night's Canadiens - Bruins telecast on NBC Sports, there was an actual Plymouth Whalers commercial. I had the same feelings as you -- too little, too late. It actually ticked me off.

It would have been nice to see these commercials a couple of seasons ago.

I agree. WJR has spots for the games and I've noticed they also have ads at the arena now. WDIV has been running stories about the team, but only in regards to Flint as I understand it.
Articles in newspapers, mentions on local media outlets.... The team has never had this much attention paid to it before from the local sources, so I guess, thanks for nothing. :shakehead

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
What's going on here? Big win last night, aren't you supposed to be tanking?

If Vellucci were coaching Plymouth, they'd be in the midst of the London/Guelph/Kitchener race right now (I'm assuming the Mistele trade doesn't happen).

----------------

Plymouth's 17 remaining games:
Saginaw x4
Sarnia x3
Windsor x2
Soo x2
Oshawa
Erie
Barrie
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Ottawa

Put the magic number at 64 points, so need 24 more.
Plymouth needs to:
Sweep Saginaw 4-0 (8 - 48)
Sweep Sarnia 3-0 (6 - 54)
Sweep Windsor 2-0 (4 - 58)
Defeat Ottawa (2 - 60)
Defeat Owen Sound (2 - 62)
Defeat Kitchener (2 - 64)

Any points lost above would have to be made up in these 5 games:
Soo x2
Oshawa
Erie
Barrie

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If Vellucci were coaching Plymouth, they'd be in the midst of the London/Guelph/Kitchener race right now (I'm assuming the Mistele trade doesn't happen).

I agree. This team has more talent than last year's team that made the playoffs only because of Vellucci and Nedeljkovic. With better coaching, this team could be in the middle of the pack in the Western Conference right now. Instead, they will miss the playoffs for the first time since the franchise's inaugural season 25 years ago.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I agree. This team has more talent than last year's team that made the playoffs only because of Vellucci and Nedeljkovic. With better coaching, this team could be in the middle of the pack in the Western Conference right now. Instead, they will miss the playoffs for the first time since the franchise's inaugural season 25 years ago.

Plymouth on paper should've been better than the current rosters of London and Kitchener. Proof of this is when Plymouth skated circles around London at the beginning of the year.

Only teams who should've been better than Plymouth (with Mistele) on paper were Soo, Erie, and Guelph.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Plymouth on paper should've been better than the current rosters of London and Kitchener. Proof of this is when Plymouth skated circles around London at the beginning of the year.

Only teams who should've been better than Plymouth (with Mistele) on paper were Soo, Erie, and Guelph.

Yes, coaching (or the lack thereof in this case) has made a huge difference with this team. Poor positioning on defense, mental mistakes that happen over and over, and bizarre power play formations that the players do not execute properly are just a few of the issues I've seen this year that we never saw in the past under Vellucci. It is like we went back through a time warp to the Greg Stefan era.

I wasn't expecting a championship team, but a 4 or 5 playoff seed and possibly a playoff series win were not unrealistic expectations based on the talent. Instead, the fans have not had much to cheer about, making this final season in Plymouth quite depressing. Personally, lately I have not been paying as much attention to the team when we are at the arena -- who's scratched, the line combinations, etc. -- and spending more time socializing with the other fans in our section. I give zero attention to the road games anymore. In the past, I would at a minimum check the results that same night, or more often listen to some of the game on the radio stream.

Last edited:

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Just saw the Whalers tweet about tonight's game being the last with Windsor. It's crazy to think this is the end of the rivalry. Wish I could go, but had a death in the family this week, and won't be able to attend. Go Whalers!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Just saw the Whalers tweet about tonight's game being the last with Windsor. It's crazy to think this is the end of the rivalry. Wish I could go, but had a death in the family this week, and won't be able to attend. Go Whalers!

Condolences on your loss.

We will be at both games this weekend, but I'm having a difficult time working up my usual enthusiasm for a game against the Spits. Quite honestly, I'll be glad when this very sad and disappointing season is over.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Condolences on your loss.

We will be at both games this weekend, but I'm having a difficult time working up my usual enthusiasm for a game against the Spits. Quite honestly, I'll be glad when this very sad and disappointing season is over.
I will be at both games as well because I am a used to the punishment. I have been having a tough time getting enthusiastic about this team since the end of last year. The real kicker is that we are only 7 pts back with 14 games to play. Playoffs are still a possibility. Now that is the crazy part, that this team could make the playoffs. I hope they do, just to say they never missed while in Plymouth.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I will be at both games as well because I am a used to the punishment. I have been having a tough time getting enthusiastic about this team since the end of last year. The real kicker is that we are only 7 pts back with 14 games to play. Playoffs are still a possibility. Now that is the crazy part, that this team could make the playoffs. I hope they do, just to say they never missed while in Plymouth.

They are not making the playoffs.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
They are not making the playoffs.
I agree. The math says Plymouth has a chance, but the math has not witnessed Plymouth play. Sad to go out with a whimper and not get in the playoffs. On a side note: I was told last week of a current player that made it clear that he will not be joining the team in Flint. I understand, as of last night, this number has grown.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I agree. The math says Plymouth has a chance, but the math has not witnessed Plymouth play. Sad to go out with a whimper and not get in the playoffs. On a side note: I was told last week of a current player that made it clear that he will not be joining the team in Flint. I understand, as of last night, this number has grown.

That is interesting, but it could just be some young men getting caught up in all the emotion and turmoil that has surrounded the team's sale and relocation. They may very well come around and be in Flint when next season begins. I could see Nedeljkovic wanting a trade, though, just to have an opportunity to have a decent team in front of him in his last OHL season. After being on such a good team in his rookie year, it must have been difficult for him to go out there the past two years -- this season especially.

In a related note, we had heard conflicting reasons why John Vigilante had not been behind the bench, from illness to leaving the team in frustration. Well, he was behind the bench last night, sporting a beard.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Take 3 of 4 from Saginaw, sweep Sarnia, win vOttawa/@Owen Sound/@Kitchener, and you're almost a lock to be in. And I was liberal with Windsor, so 58 might get you in (allowing room to drop 2 of Sarniax2/Ottawa/Owen Sound/Kitchener), but you'll probably have to sweep all 4 against Saginaw.

Saginaw (49 points, 12 games remaining)
1 @ Kingston (W, 51)
2 v Ottawa (W, 53)
3 v London (L, 53)
4 v Plymouth (W, 55)
5 @ Plymouth (SOL, 56)
6 @ Owen Sound (L, 56)
7 @ Kitchener (L, 56)
8 @ Sarnia (W, 58)
9 v Plymouth (SOL, 59)
10 @ Plymouth (L, 59)
11 @ London (L, 59)
12 v Kitchener (L, 59)

Windsor (49 points, 12 games remaining)
1 v Ottawa (W, 51)
2 @ Sault Ste Marie (L, 51)
3 v Sarnia (W, 53)
4 v Sault Ste Marie (L, 53)
5 @ Kitchener (W, 55)
6 v Oshawa (L, 55)
7 v Guelph (W, 57)
8 @ Erie (L, 57)
9 @ Niagara (L, 57)
10 v Erie (L, 57)
11 @ Sarnia (W, 59)
12 @ Sault Ste Marie (L, 59)

Plymouth (44 points, 12 games remaining)
1 v Sarnia (W, 46)
2 @ Sarnia (W, 48)
3 v Ottawa (W, 50)
4 @ Saginaw (L, 50)
5 v Saginaw (W, 52)
6 v Oshawa (L, 52)
7 @ Sault Ste Marie (L, 52)
8 @ Saginaw (W, 54)
9 v Saginaw (W, 56)
10 @ Owen Sound (W, 58)
11 @ Kitchener (W, 60)
12 v Erie (L, 60)