Plymouth Whalers 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
I think it was inevitable that the team would be sold. Karmanos has been divesting many of his holdings, as his family does not seem interested in running any of them and he is now 72 years old. Expect the Carolina Hurricanes to be sold in the near future, too.

However, had attendance been better the past few years, there may have been more interest from local businessmen to purchase the team and keep it here. Attendance was quite good during the 2006 & 2007 seasons, plus was still decent for a few years after that 2007 championship. It just seems that things have fallen off in the last 3-4 years. I have not looked at attendance figures to confirm this, so this is just going from memory of being at the arena all those years.

With the timing of the Hatcher and Legwand buying Sarnia announcement shortly after the sale of the Whalers, makes me wonder why they didn't want Plymouth. It's not like Sarnia has that much better attendance than Plymouth and Plymouth definitely has a better history of success. I know that the Whalers had to be out of Compuware by the end of the season because of the sale to USA Hockey, which may have contributed to it. It's not like Hatcher and Legwand just decided to buy a team spur of the moment. Also, the Whalers have been "quietly" for sale for a few years now. Seems like they could have made it work. Also always seemed like Legwand had good ties with the organization still since he would come back and skate in the alumni games.

It will really be a strange feeling Saturday knowing this will be the last game. Never attended a game where I knew it would be the teams last. It will be the end of an era for sure.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
With the timing of the Hatcher and Legwand buying Sarnia announcement shortly after the sale of the Whalers, makes me wonder why they didn't want Plymouth. It's not like Sarnia has that much better attendance than Plymouth and Plymouth definitely has a better history of success. I know that the Whalers had to be out of Compuware by the end of the season because of the sale to USA Hockey, which may have contributed to it.

The main difference between the selling of the Whalers and the Sting was the arena ownership. Karmanos owned both the team and the arena, and was definitely selling the arena, while looking to either relocate or sell the team. Once the arena was sold to USA Hockey, it was extremely unlikely that anyone would buy the team and want to share the arena with them. Had Compuware Arena been sold to a non-hockey entity, things may have been different and a Legwand/Hatcher purchase may have been a possibility. They also could have bought the arena, too, but must have either not wanted to pay the higher price to buy both the arena and team, or simply not wanted to own and operate an arena. They will not have that issue in Sarnia, as the city owns the arena there.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Tonights game is completely sold out. You can't even get a standing room ticket. I tried to get one for a friend today. I guess he shouldn't have waited until 1:30 today to express interest.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Yes, where were they? I saw a lot of people at the game that I haven't seen in the arena in years. Also saw a lot of new faces wearing jerseys from the late 90's/early 2000's. Obviously long time fans who didn't attend much anymore.

I thought it was a nice night. The pre-game ceremony was good and it was cool that Peake was there since he was never at any of the alumni games over the years. Was glad the team played hard in a meaningless game and didn't mail it in. I was impressed that Campagna was skating so hard in the 3rd when the game was basically over. It was also nice that the Otters saluted the fans and the franchise before leaving the ice.

It's strange to think that it's over and probably won't fully sink in until next season starts and the Flint team takes the ice. At least with the internet, we can keep the memories of the Whalers alive.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Last nights game, although we lost, provided more good memories. The national anthems had a special feel as many fans sung both anthems. The pre game ceremony was classy. I won't go into every detail, but hopefully it makes it's way onto Youtube so that all Jr hockey fans can see what I witnessed first hand. The team saluting the fans and then returning and taking a final skate applauding the fans was emotional and heartfelt. I saw atleast 3 players that had tears welled up in their eyes. The team picture at center ice was perfect until the Whalers employees made their way onto the ice wearing real deal authentic jerseys with their names across the back and the number of their choosing. This made it even more perfect, if such a thing exists. The employees gathering in the with the team and having more pictures taken was almost too much as I started to well up. I have been a season ticket holder for all but one year and that was the first season in Compuware where we purchased tickets on game night for the next game and so on. What started out as watching some top notch Jr hockey evolved into building many friendships and relationships that I made sure to let every employee, season ticket holder and other fans I came into contact with over the last couple of months, know how much I appreciated them and how much I valued the friendships. During the time as a season ticket holder, I lost both of my parents. Both passed during the season. Both times, the team and it's employees went way beyond what you think is possible. The organization made sure that every person that was in from out of town as well as every person locally that wanted to come to the game and pay their respects at the very thing that my parents loved. Whalers Hockey at Compuware. I can't give you an exact number, but we know as a family that they handed out over 150 tickets to any person that came to the ticket window and told the staff they were there for my Mom or Dads passing. Free of charge. Truly class act. So I can't be mad they are done here. There is a group of season ticket holders, including myself, that are planning to show our support to Flint's new team. We are in the beginning stages of organizing a trip to Flint, wearing our Whalers jerseys to try to get them started out on the right foot. Initial conversations have taken place and we are trying to figure out how many tickets will be needed and such. I plan to talk to a representative from Flint and let them know our plans to be there for their very first game. We have talked to a few players that will be there next year and informed them of our plans. The smiles that came onto their faces was priceless. They think it is a cool idea. This was enough for me to know that we need to take our plan make it happen. If you are a fan or a season ticket holder and wish to go up to Flint for that first game, PM me your name and contact info such as a phone number and best time to call and an email address. If you are part of Flints staff and like the idea of this, contact me via PM and we can work out the details. We want to make the first game in Flint as special as the last night in Plymouth was. Thanks to all of you Plymouth fans for the great memories and friendship over the years. You are also a class act.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was doing very well keeping my emotions in check last night, until PA announcer Chris altered his last announcement by saying "last minute of play in franchise history". I'll admit that my eyes started to water then. There were lots of choked up people when we finally left, and lot's of hugs, too. I am going to miss those folks who do not come back to the arena next season to watch the US team.

Overall, it was a nice farewell. The opening ceremony was well done, and it was so nice to see the players and staff come out after the game. It was fitting that Mike Vellucci made it to the game and was honored beforehand. He's been such a big part of the team's success over the past decade+.

For those people interested in checking out the USNDTP, I do have some good news. I spoke with Char before the game, and her staff has been retained by USA Hockey. She is planning on reaching out to all the season ticket holders this summer to inform us of the team's plans.

That's a nice plan you have regarding opening night in Flint, WhalerBlue. It's too soon for me to decide if I want to partake as a onetime trip, but I still doubt we will be traveling there to support the Firebirds on an ongoing basis.

I brought along my camera. Below are a couple of photos of last night's event. You can see the entire set here

451A2001-L.jpg

451A2095-L.jpg

451A2135-L.jpg

451A2163-L.jpg

451A2234-L.jpg

451A2251-L.jpg

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Excellent pics! I may have to steal those. They are way better than what I took. The trip to Flint is a planned onetime deal to show our support and wish the new team good luck. I can't justify driving there often, but this game has interest from many people so we want to make it happen. Hopefully we join us, the more the merrier.

mkhopper

Jan 20, 2015
Yes, where were they? I saw a lot of people at the game that I haven't seen in the arena in years. Also saw a lot of new faces wearing jerseys from the late 90's/early 2000's. Obviously long time fans who didn't attend much anymore.

I've seen evidence of that over the years, people just sort of fading away. I've sat in 102 since '99 (and one year in 103) and saw quite a few people that haven't been around in many years.
Lives and schedules change and many folks just may not be able to able to come like they used to. No fault to them though. Just the way things go.
You can tell similarly the way the crowd had changed over the years by just the Zubor Buick bit. Used to the be that the building rocked with "Who cares??" Now you're lucky to hear those diehards still yelling it, buried under the general crowd din.

Crowds became much more casual along the way. I remember early on people in our section would place $1 wagers on overtime goal scorers. We'd pool cash and buy stacks of 50/50 tickets (which would usually become confetti). People used to bring signs. I saw many people using the game program and keeping a running scorers sheet. But saw less and less of things like that as time went on.

All in all, it was a fun, yet sad night. I was happy that all of the backoffice people got recognized as they definitely deserved it. I'm hoping that the majority of them will get hired on with the new organization and get to stay around. (Edit... Whalers Fan posted as I was putting this post of my own together and mentions that Char and the rest of the staff have already been brought on with the new organization, which is great news.)

One thing I was a little bummed about after reviewing a recording of the game this morning, was the Krupsky wasn't able to close things out. Baligian did a fine job, but closing out the broadcast was Krupsky's place. I'm sure he was pleased with being down with the rest of the arena staff, but I wish everyone watching and listening could have been able to let him have his final words to finish his amazing run with the team. Will he be back calling the USANTDP games? Might he make the drives to Flint? I've heard him call some Schoolcraft basketball games, so I'm sure he'll land a play-by-play spot somewhere.

Last edited:

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Krupper tweeted that he will be working somewhere in 2015-16, but didn't say where. I noticed him down on the concourse near the end of the game and wondered who was doing the broadcast. Guess that explains it.

Also, my wife and I were eating at a downtown Plymouth restaurant yesterday afternoon and saw Vellucci and his family there. It was sort of ironic.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Krupper tweeted that he will be working somewhere in 2015-16, but didn't say where. I noticed him down on the concourse near the end of the game and wondered who was doing the broadcast. Guess that explains it.

Also, my wife and I were eating at a downtown Plymouth restaurant yesterday afternoon and saw Vellucci and his family there. It was sort of ironic.

Vellucci was also in CJ's restaurant before the game. It was nice to see him one more time.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Wouldn't it be up to the Flint fans to start an off season thread? Wondering if any Whalers fans are going to have a place on the net to talk about the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad