Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus Thread | Penguins 2, Senators 1 (SO)

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Hold on a second. There are soft bad angle goals and there are bad angle goals that go in because it's not humanly possibly to cover every single little wicket the puck can get in through. I thought his positioning was fine there. Not to mention he played a good game.

I'm all for critiquing the team win or lose. One pet peeve of mine on this board is how a shootout win or loss will completely change what you can get away with posting after the game is over. At the same time Fleury's been fine seriously.

I think Fleury is definitely still working on problems between his ears, but about 70% of the time people ***** about him I wonder what exactly they want him to do.

For all the criticism Fleury is getting, if there's something he has definitely improved on over the years it's his rebound control.
From a goalie who was very rarely beaten clean but had a major issue with his rebounds, he's now become more than fairly good for the latter but he's beaten pretty often high glove.

On a side note I was looking up for how long Gilles Meloche was within the organization and apparently...
take a seat guys.
..he's been there since 1989, only as a goaltending coach full time since the last lockout, if I remember correctly, but that would mean he still went through 3 coaches changes, quite impressive.
BTW, I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but in retrospect, maybe changing Fleury's routine wouldn't have been such a bad thing. Oh well

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wish the Shero bashers would recognize how big of a deal that was. We very nearly got 0 for Jordan Staal... especially with the lockout risk etc. Shero did a nice job there and made a big offer to Parise and Suter but didn't get his guys because PA is not MN. Simple as that. And the rest of those guys (Semin, et al) he didn't believe in or didn't want ot over-pay for going into the new CBA (Doan). Personally I give the man an A- for his summer's efforts. And no way he's done; he'll make a move within a month or so here. He won't wait to the deadline because it's too close to the post-season. If a GM is worried about getting home ice, they have to make moves early this year.

Hope I could share your optimism. But something about his moves, and his statements, suggests he's fine going into at least this year's playoffs with the current setup.

IMO, just like the possibility of firing Bylsma, it'll take another first round upset for Shero to contemplate major additions to this roster. Him and Bylsma seem to think the current roster is good enough to win it all as long as we "get to our game".

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Another sketchy performance IMO. If that bad angle shot sneaks across the goal line, we'd all be talking about how Fleury is the goat instead of praising him. I'm still really down on Fleury and not a fan of his. He's shaky. I'll always be nervous with him back there. I still don't like the looks of this team, and don't think they will go anywhere as currently constructed.

Jesus. MAF let's in one goal and the haters still cant give him a break.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Hope I could share your optimism. But something about his moves, and his statements, suggests he's fine going into at least this year's playoffs with the current setup.

IMO, just like the possibility of firing Bylsma, it'll take another first round upset for Shero to contemplate major additions to this roster. Him and Bylsma seem to think the current roster is good enough to win it all as long as we "get to our game".

He's going to be kicking tires just like any other GM. Why would you go by what he says to the media? Means nothing, and what about the moves he's made? He's been pretty active making minor moves. You could just as easily argue that he's shaping things to allow some other more significant deals come deadline time.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Jesus. MAF let's in one goal and the haters still cant give him a break.

Not a good counter argument.

Game 1 Fleury got a bail out from Craig Adams. last night it was the puck sitting on the goal line while no one noticed. His lovers want to embrace his "reawakening", but i think the more logical folks around us can see good fortune at play here. A roll of the puck and Fleury is 0-3 on the year. And not the kind of roll you should just brush off.

Has his game improved? Sure, from abysmal to average. Is it going to be good enough to win the Pens a cup? Nope, probably not. I'm still in the wait and see camp, but i admit i am not optimistic. I just hope Shero has the nut to pull the trigger when the time comes.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Was at the game last night and both teams looked like the adrenaline of starting the season wore off and it was quite sloppy at times. I thought Fleury was very good as he usually does not play well in Ottawa. Letang was quite bad and struggled throughout the game but he is that kind of player that can struggle yet make a big play at the right time. As usual, Sid and Geno scare me when they rush the puck. I thought Malkin was the best Penguin. I like James Neal, a pure goal scorer a lot like Heatley, hopefully not a dick like Heatley! I did not notice Sutter at all...

Penguins are still the team to beat in the East but you never know what can happen ina short season.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Great win!

+ Crosby
+ MAF, what a game by Fleury'
+ Martin
+ Craig Adams, "sandwich of the game!"
+ Neal 2+0

- Kunitz and Duper
- PP
- Letang

Tomorrow against the Isles! LET'S GO PENS! :yo:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Game 1 Fleury got a bail out from Craig Adams. last night it was the puck sitting on the goal line while no one noticed. His lovers want to embrace his "reawakening", but i think the more logical folks around us can see good fortune at play here. A roll of the puck and Fleury is 0-3 on the year. And not the kind of roll you should just brush off.

Has his game improved? Sure, from abysmal to average. Is it going to be good enough to win the Pens a cup? Nope, probably not. I'm still in the wait and see camp, but i admit i am not optimistic. I just hope Shero has the nut to pull the trigger when the time comes.

I don't rag on anyone for the fun of it. Martin was terrible last year, and while people accuse some of us as using him as a whipping boy because he wasn't THAT bad..well he was. It's one thing for fans to see it, but it's another when Ray Ferraro gets caught off camera talking about how awful he's playing, then Martin himself saying how bad he was last year, then there's something to it other than wanting to pick on someone.

Martin's been our best D-man, along with Nisky, and I've acknowledged as much in every PGT. I don't want guys to fail simply to prove myself right. It's more important to me that my "whipping boys" improve so that the team wins, because the uniform succeeding is all I truly care about.

But seeing that puck sneak through yesterday still gives me more than a moment's pause. His rebound control is supposedly improved, but he still has that horrible habit of kicking rebounds into the slot from bad angle shots\passes.

And once again, I look at that Leafs game. I can hardly blame him on any of the goals, but once again I saw another case of 5 goals on 24 shots. Our knee jerk reaction is "Well look how many chances they got!!!" to which I reply "Which ones?" I can hardly think of any big saves he made that game to suggest that there was only so much he could do before the levies broke.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Why don't we just count every shot that hits the pipe and an "almost goal" too? That way we can **** on him every game.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

We'll never win a Stanley Cup with Fleury in net, am i right?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not with our current D

You catch any games this year? Our top 4 D is getting the job done.

It's apparent Sid can't turn Kunitz/Dupuis into a scoring line every night. Which means teams can key in on Malkin/Neal and when they're shut down, we can't score at ES. With our PP as currently constructed, not at all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just wanted to give Orpik and Dupuis some love.

Orpik had a ton of blocked shots and ate up big minutes with Nisky down. People have been ragging on him for awhile, but I've always felt his drop in play was injury related.

Dupuis is just a model of consistency every game. His puck management is sublime and he rarely blows an assignment in his end. Top that off with balls to the walls hustle and you have a hell of a hockey player. If only he was born with softer hands, he would be perfect.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Yeah did you see last night? That D + Fleury, brutal. Good thing the explosive offense has been clicking and carrying us so far.

Letang played horrible, we lost Niskanen halfway through, had Lovejoy in, played through an OT and we still held Ottawa to less shots than any other team has this year. If this D can stay healthy, I really think they can be a nasty bit of business in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Trading Jordan Staal and Zybnek Michalek were major moves, even if the former was only done because Staal wanted out.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just wanted to give Orpik and Dupuis some love.

Orpik had a ton of blocked shots and ate up big minutes with Nisky down. People have been ragging on him for awhile, but I've always felt his drop in play was injury related.

Dupuis is just a model of consistency every game. His puck management is sublime and he rarely blows an assignment in his end. Top that off with balls to the walls hustle and you have a hell of a hockey player. If only he was born with softer hands, he would be perfect.

to echo this, I was all over 44 last year, I thought he was terrible, I thought he was washed up, but he's been good, maybe pairing with martin, maybe, it was more to that injury, still msome occasional lapses, but it is 180 degrees turn:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad