Post-Game Talk: Plus / Minus Pens-CBJ

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not a member of the Cult of Vitale, myself, so I do think he still needs to prove he belongs on the roster. I guess the difference for me is that I think Vitale still can prove it. I think Glass has proven he doesn't....

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a big fan of Vitale and I'd love to see Glass replaced with someone cheaper or someone whose hits could break an egg.

It just seemed a little disingenuous to me to see a bunch of people hammering Glass and saying Vitale had a great game when they both made pretty critical mistakes that showed up on the scoreboard.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
What did you guys think of Pouliot? I like him and will back the pick because I think his skill are through the roof but he plays it a little to safe for me. Maybe that is part of him maturing but he needs to walk that fine line of becoming a pro and maxing out his skill.

Also wanted to throw another plus at BBennett. We've seen some very good players come through Disco's system and not do well. If you watch Iginla and Tangradi play with their new teams, you can see that there is quality player there that had a disconnect with the Pens. BB just quietly comes in and does well playing in that system at such a young age.

Olli looked better than DP, IMO. Everyone knows I don't like the DP pick so I won't go further into it.

I watched the Boston game and Iggy looked pretty good, but nothing special. What I did notice is that they put him on the left circle for the PP and let him rip slappers (and he scored a PP goal). The other one was a loose puck that bounced to him wide open in the slot. He'll fizzle out.

I didn't watch the WGP game but see that Tangradi had 2 assists and was the games 2nd star. We could use his size in our bottom 6, that's for sure.

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich
What did you guys think of Pouliot? I like him and will back the pick because I think his skill are through the roof but he plays it a little to safe for me. Maybe that is part of him maturing but he needs to walk that fine line of becoming a pro and maxing out his skill.

Also wanted to throw another plus at BBennett. We've seen some very good players come through Disco's system and not do well. If you watch Iginla and Tangradi play with their new teams, you can see that there is quality player there that had a disconnect with the Pens. BB just quietly comes in and does well playing in that system at such a young age.

What? :huh:

He sucked ass for Winnipeg last season just like he did for us. He had 2 assists last night in a PRE SEASON GAME. Tangradi ist just not good at hockey, there's nothing more to it.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a big fan of Vitale and I'd love to see Glass replaced with someone cheaper or someone whose hits could break an egg.

It just seemed a little disingenuous to me to see a bunch of people hammering Glass and saying Vitale had a great game when they both made pretty critical mistakes that showed up on the scoreboard.
I think it is the context. Over the last year Vitale has been fairly consistent as a decent 4th liner and a killer on faceoffs. Glass has consistently made mistakes and hasn't contributed much. So when Vitale makes a mistake people are more willing to cut him some slack where as with Glass it is just more of the same.

Then you have DB saying Vitale needs to prove himself and he goes on to advocate a promotion for Glass. It's the double standard more than it is people saying that Vitale is established or infallible.

I waited all Summer to hear the team say something along the lines of Glass wasn't as good as he should have been and he has challenged himself to be better, similar to Martin. Instead we hear he is in the running for the 3rd line. :laugh:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
What? :huh:

He sucked ass for Winnipeg last season just like he did for us. He had 2 assists last night in a PRE SEASON GAME. Tangradi ist just not good at hockey, there's nothing more to it.

I watched the game and he looked good. He was a pain in the ass in front of the net on the PP and finished every check. His first assist was off a rebound where he controlled the puck at his feet and got a good shot on net. The 2nd was a really nice back hand pass through traffic to a streaking Frolik in the slot. Pretty much everything you want from a 3rd liner, in addition to being 6'4" 220.

The kid's still 24 and has one partial season of consistent NHL hockey under his belt. He was horribly misused by DB for his first few years here then totally thrown to the wolves on Geno's line then traded after playing 5 games last year.

I'm not saying he's gonna be a legit top 6 NHLer but he should be a hell of a 3rd liner with some offensive abilities. That, plus his size, would be a huge upgrade to the Pens' bottom 6 this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I watched the game and he looked good. He was a pain in the ass in front of the net on the PP and finished every check. His first assist was off a rebound where he controlled the puck at his feet and got a good shot on net. The 2nd was a really nice back hand pass through traffic to a streaking Frolik in the slot. Pretty much everything you want from a 3rd liner, in addition to being 6'4" 220.

The kid's still 24 and has one partial season of consistent NHL hockey under his belt. He was horribly misused by DB for his first few years here then totally thrown to the wolves on Geno's line then traded after playing 5 games last year.

I'm not saying he's gonna be a legit top 6 NHLer but he should be a hell of a 3rd liner with some offensive abilities. That, plus his size, would be a huge upgrade to the Pens' bottom 6 this year.

Eric Tangradi becoming a decent 3rd liner would be a hell of an upgrade for Eric Tangradi. Its possible, but he certainly isn't there yet.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Pouliot admitted he was pretty nervous since it was his first pre-season game ever, so imagine that's probably why he played it a little more safe than usual -- can't fault him for that all things considered.

Fire Shero*

Can we please stop talking shout Eric Tangradi? He was given plenty of opportunities here. He was not good enough for a top 9 spot and not physical enough for a 4th line spot.

I'm glad he can earn a roster spot on a non playoff team.

I've never seen a player more overrated than Tagradi. I swear people would still like him on the team. He will be 30 years old and people will sill justify him in the league because it takes power forwards longer to develop. Come on give the big dog more time.

Move along people. Would I rather have him more than Glass or Adams? Probably. But that doesn't say much.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Can we please stop talking shout Eric Tangradi? He was given plenty of opportunities here. He was not good enough for a top 9 spot and not physical enough for a 4th line spot.

I've never seen a player more overrated than Tagradi. I swear people would still like him on the team. He will be 30 years old and people will sill justify him in the league because it takes power forwards longer to develop. Come on give the big dog more time.

Move along people. Would I rather have him more than Glass or Adams? Probably. But that doesn't say much.

Agreed, he was a top prospect back then and things didn't work out for him here. Time to turn the page on him. Didn't the Jets also sit him last year at times?

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010

He's always shown flashes, but he doesn't consistently play the body. Complain all you want about him being misused and to an extent, I agree, but that doesn't excuse his lack of effort. If you're on the 4th line, throw around your big frame and make a name for yourself, don't sulk because you're being misused.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I was pretty specific about saying that Vitale looked good with Jeffery on the PK for a reason - at even-strength they weren't any better than Glass about getting the puck out of their own end (granted, they had Glass on their line, but it's not like they were doing any better of a job at it).

But at least Vitale had some good PK shifts, while Jeffery had good PK and PP shifts. Glass looked bad no matter what the situation was. Which is why I've been hammering him and not so much on Vitale.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Tangradi sucked to the 10th degree as a Pen. His last stint was so mch worse than others as he didn't even hit or fight... just nothing.

The reason why I brought him up was that he's looked like a good 3rd liner for the Jets and was at one time a pretty good prospect. My issue is the Pens. We've seen some pretty good players come in and look absolutely lost on the wing. Its an issue worth talking about.

Then giving full marks to BB for playing so well.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
ET didn't play very well for the Pens, but to deny that he was horribly misused by DB is disingenuous. He was constantly being benched and rarely played more than 10 min a game.

Last year he was way over his head on Malkin's wing then got traded after 5 games when couldn't keep up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad