Post-Game Talk: Plus / Minus Pens-CBJ

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
+ Bennett played very well on Malkin and Neal's line, including a great play to setup Neal's goal. If he keeps playing like this, there's no way he'll be pulled off that line.
+ Kobasew and Kuhnhackl seemed to develop instant chemistry. Whenever they were on the ice together (which mostly happened at the tail end of power plays, to be fair), good things happened. Kuhnhackl was banging and crashing behind the net with a purpose, and generally acquiring the puck in the process. He then proceeded to screen the goaltender, which is exactly where he was planted for both of Kobasew's goals.
+ Vitale and Jeffery on the PK. They did a great job, and certainly made a case for replacing Cooke's time on that unit.

- Glass. Every time he was on the ice, the puck took extended shifts in the Pens' defensive zone. On top of that, he took a stupid slashing call during a PK to put the Pens into a 5-on-3 PK (which the Blue Jackets scored on just after the initial penalty expired), and then he put the puck in his own net to tie up the game 3-3 (the goal was credited to Letestu, but he was clearly trying to move the puck under Zatkoff for a whistle, and ended up shooting it straight under him and into the net - and from his body language afterwards, you could tell he knew he did it). It's a really bad sign when Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond spends more time in the offensive zone then Tanner Glass, and that was even aside from the shift PL3 spent on Malkin's line.
- Malkin's giveaway in overtime. Overall, Malkin had a decent game (except for taking too many lazy penalties...), but he tried to force a pass over to Neal in overtime when he had Niskanen open practically right next to him. As a result, the Blue Jackets picked off the pass, took it the other way, and scored the game-winning goal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The good

The Bennett Malkin Neal line. As Michel Therrien would say "It was mens amongst boys". Neal scored a goal off a sick Bennett pass. Neal also hit about 3 posts in this game.

Scuderi was amazing on a 3 on 5 sequence.

Kuhn did a great job in front of the net on the PP.

Jeffrey was great on the PP. It looked like he was quarterbacking that 2nd unit.

Kobasew showed a nose for the net on the PP by scoring two ugly goals right in front of the net.

The kids (Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin etc.) were unspectacular. Not particularly great or bad. Just didn't really notice them much.

The bad was the same old stuff.

Malkin's discipline or lack there of.

Fleury's swiss cheese goaltending where even pucks that hit him seem to find a way to leak through a hole and into the net.

Tanner Glass still sucks at hockey.

Lemieuxfan

Oct 12, 2006
Cologne
The good

The Bennett Malkin Neal line. As Michel Therrien would say "It was mens amongst boys". Neal scored a goal off a sick Bennett pass. Neal also hit about 3 posts in this game.
To be fair, they didn't do much in the 3rd. I would like to see Kuhn instead of BB here, just to see what he can do.

Kuhn did a great job in front of the net on the PP.
Heck he reminded me of Holmstrom. I love that kid. He needs to gain muscle mass..but heck, we need to get that kid on our roster. With him in Rasks face, we would have scored several goals there, I would bet...I'm impressed!!

Kobasew showed a nose for the net on the PP by scoring two ugly goals right in front of the net.
He got lucky, let's see if he can do that again. Without Kuhn he doesn't score even one goal.

The kids (Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin etc.) were unspectacular. Not particularly great or bad. Just didn't really notice them much.

Especially Dumoulin looked really weak, muscle wise..he'll need at least one more year, IMO. IMO Harrington looked best out of these three.

Tanner Glass still sucks at hockey.

I really hate him. I would be really happy if we could finally move him..he kills momentum, is slow, plays stupid, losses the puck every time...please leave us alone

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Alot of people are high on Vitale here but i didn't see it.
Took a couple? penalties and coughed up the puck on the Jackets 4th or 3rd goal.

Ebbett had a better game than him imo.

Payerl seems a little soft. Would've liked to have seen more from him.
Kuhnackl had a nice game.

Pouliot was great on the PP and had some nice reads and escapability on the back end.

Dumolin was steady. Harrington as well.

Kobasew is a very nice replacement for TK. He has a nose for the net and doesn't try to get fancy with his shooting.

Can't think of anything else.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Happy Kobasew played a good game, hopefully it earns him a contract and forces Shero to get rid of Glass

The only reason Glass is still lingering around is because he brings some extra muscle up front on a team that doesn't currently have much size or grit amongst its forwards at the moment. Still isn't worth it however considering the cap hit he brings and just how incompetent he is overall.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The only reason Glass is still lingering around is because he brings some extra muscle up front on a team that doesn't currently have much size or grit amongst its forwards at the moment. Still isn't worth it however considering the cap hit he brings and just how incompetent he is overall.

I know that but to be honest he doesn't really scare anyone

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
any word on the injury to dumo ? he left and looked like his left shoulder. hope it's not to serious.

I thought Pouilet actually showed some pretty good flashes of what he could become. I was particularly happy on one sequence where an attacker bigger then him chipped the puck behind him and he stood him up and didn't get bowled over or out muscled. It's preseason, and I thought joe morrow looked incredible (for a rookie) in his preseason debut and that landed him in providence. so i take it all with a grain of salt.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agree with SidtheKid about Vitale, Glass is getting crucified for that third goal, but the puck is out of the zone if Vitale doesn't flub that pass.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond did a better job at pushing the puck forward and keeping it out of his own end than Glass. If the issue is needing extra muscle, then sign PL3 to an NHL contract, and send Glass down to the AHL (and hope he gets claimed off waivers), because at this point, I'd trust PL3 with the puck more than Glass.

And I say this as someone who was hoping that Glass would look better this year.

Agree with SidtheKid about Vitale, Glass is getting crucified for that third goal, but the puck is out of the zone if Vitale doesn't flub that pass.

It wasn't just that third goal, though. Glass took a really dumb penalty while already on a Penalty Kill. He also simply couldn't ever get the puck out of his own zone. Every shift he was out there, the puck was in his zone. Every single other line was able to get the puck out of their zone (at least it sure seemed like it), but Glass' line never could. At least Vitale combined with Jeffrey for some good penalty killing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kobasew and Jeffrey were really noticeable but it was in situations where they probably won't see as much ice time with a full roster, on special teams. Jeffrey in particular was really controlling and distributing the puck well on the powerplay, despite the fact that he was on the 2nd unit and playing the left side wall. Both were stealing pucks and winning battles on the PK too. I'd love to see more of Jeffrey on the PK and a little less of older guys like Glass and Adams. But Vitale deserves time there too, as does Sid, Sutter, Jokinen, etc. So it's going to be hard to get him much PK time in the regular season regardless of how good he looked last night.

Malkin was flying but at the same time undisciplined and trying to force plays. No big deal.

Harrington, Pouliot and Dumoulin weren't bad but weren't good, either. Samuelsson was better, as he probably should have been based on his age and experience level. Had a great play where he sprawled out to break up a cross-ice-pass on a two-on-one. Scuds didn't see much ice time.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It wasn't just that third goal, though. Glass took a really dumb penalty while already on a Penalty Kill. He also simply couldn't ever get the puck out of his own zone. Every shift he was out there, the puck was in his zone. Every single other line was able to get the puck out of their zone (at least it sure seemed like it), but Glass' line never could. At least Vitale combined with Jeffrey for some good penalty killing.

I'm not defending Glass, I just don't see giving Vitale a free pass with that turnover and his offensive zone penalty, both of which led to goals.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
To be fair, they didn't do much in the 3rd. I would like to see Kuhn instead of BB here, just to see what he can do.

Malkin had a bad game, but Bennett was absolutely amazing. Bennett is by far more deserving of getting looked at in the top six role. Kuhnhackle played well, but he still hasn't proven much at the AHL level (granted a lot of it is due to injuries) so he certainly isn't ready for a top six spot alongside one of the greatest players in the game today.

Gwydyr

Allons-y Alonso
Jul 12, 2013
By god, a 4th line of Kobasew-Vitale-Kuhnhackl would be incredible, just based on seeing Kobasew and Das Kuhn together last night.

In reality, Kuhnhackl will be down in WBS (which I agree with; he can be more than a 4th liner and could use the extra development time, but hopefully he's tops on the list of call-ups) and Kobasew will be dropped for the sake of keeping Glass on the roster. So Glass-Vitale-Adams again. Worst fourth line in the league, here we come!

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kobasew looked like he wants a job. Impressive stuff from him. Scuderi looked very reliable and steady, just like he used to. I saw flashes in Harrington and Dumoulin that impressed me, too. Kuhnhackl had a pretty decent game too. Really liked what I saw from Bennett - totally alert, always in a good position to keep plays moving.

Fleury looked average, but that doesn't surprise me. Malkin made some really dumb mistakes but that's just something you're gonna have to take with the package at this point. Tanner Glass is a money pit on skates.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
By god, a 4th line of Kobasew-Vitale-Kuhnhackl would be incredible, just based on seeing Kobasew and Das Kuhn together last night.

In reality, Kuhnhackl will be down in WBS (which I agree with; he can be more than a 4th liner and could use the extra development time, but hopefully he's tops on the list of call-ups) and Kobasew will be dropped for the sake of keeping Glass on the roster. So Glass-Vitale-Adams again. Worst fourth line in the league, here we come!

Plus.. it's something new. This team NEEDS new blood and new fire.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not defending Glass, I just don't see giving Vitale a free pass with that turnover and his offensive zone penalty, both of which led to goals.

I'm not a member of the Cult of Vitale, myself, so I do think he still needs to prove he belongs on the roster. I guess the difference for me is that I think Vitale still can prove it. I think Glass has proven he doesn't....

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What did you guys think of Pouliot? I like him and will back the pick because I think his skill are through the roof but he plays it a little to safe for me. Maybe that is part of him maturing but he needs to walk that fine line of becoming a pro and maxing out his skill.

Also wanted to throw another plus at BBennett. We've seen some very good players come through Disco's system and not do well. If you watch Iginla and Tangradi play with their new teams, you can see that there is quality player there that had a disconnect with the Pens. BB just quietly comes in and does well playing in that system at such a young age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad