Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus Flyers vs Pens 2/20/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
By the way, I'd be a horrible GM.

After a game like this I'd trade Morrow- 1st round for Iginla. And maata - pouliot for Chris Stewart

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
- team discipline

- Bylsma for doing nothing about it. He even said the other day after the Sabres game that he was fine with the penalties the Pens took. I hope he's fine with getting fired after the Pens lose a playoff series by playing undisciplined hockey because that's precisely what will happen if he doesn't put a stop to it.

That is one area where I really miss Therrien because he would NEVER put up with the type of discipline the Pens have been showing against the Flyers.

Remember how we used to always beat the Flyers under Therrien because we'd rarely if ever retaliate to the stupid **** they did? That was because Therrien coached the Pens to play that way. Bylsma has no control over the team and the Flyers just goad us into playing their garbage hockey every single time.

I put this in the GDT: Bylsma = Tomlin. Each day that passes between his and the previous regime is a day further removed from any semblance of structure and discipline.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's a shame we lost because that Sutter goal was gigantic. I have a feeling when the playoffs start that kid is gonna do some wondrous things for us. He seems like a big game type of player.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I forgot, but I wish we have more than just one go to PP line. Those guys were beyond gassed after 2 minutes

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
- Playing "their game".
Crosby needs a leadership assist from a respected vet (ala Guerin). If we can't land a top 6 answer, maybe Shero can land a calming vet A.

---Seriously, the Flyers force us to play at their level. It's disgusting.

+/- Hopefully Bylsma's attempt to protect Flower has the desired effect.
If it backfires...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I put this in the GDT: Bylsma = Tomlin. Each day that passes between his and the previous regime is a day further removed from any semblance of structure and discipline.

I agree with you there. It's a shame because I think Bylsma does a lot of good things but his lack of control over the team could kill us against teams that know how to exploit that. The Flyers are one, and I'd say Jersey is another.

Teams that know how to frustrate us just get us every time.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
+ We didn't trade Fleury yet
+ Sid
+ Neal (on PP only)

- Bylsma. We score a PP goal (two actually) in the first with Martin on the point. When the critical 5-3 comes up in the 3rd, Martin is nowhere to be seen. Just awful.

- Malkin's defensive zone presence or lackthereof
- Vokoun. LOL wow.
- I just Upchuked on my Boychuk

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

After a game like this I'd trade Morrow- 1st round for Iginla. And maata - pouliot for Chris Stewart

If those are what would qualify as your bad trades, then you'd still be better than Mike Pillsbury ever was.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Can't say it was a surprise. This is the third year in a row that we keep seeing the same mistakes, the same tired old plan being picked apart and a team thats getting softer and softer.

I could care less about the Pens record this year... they're playing like crap and they don't have the man power to do better. Thats not only on Disco but Shero too. Since the Pens won the cup they've gotten worse every year.

And just forget about Ruff because it will be more of the same.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
- No Intelligence out of this organization. The Flyers make this team see red and NOBODY; not the coaches, not the front office, not the players, not Mario; NOBODY seems to be smart enough to figure it out. They've seen this crap long enough that they should all know the score, they should all know what Philadelphia's gameplan is, and yet they never seem to come up with anything to try to counter it.

I get that it's tough when you know the refs are going to let them try to take your head off for most of the game, but still, they KNOW that the Flyers are going to do that, and they still don't seem to try to change THEIR gameplan any.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
- team discipline

- Bylsma for doing nothing about it. He even said the other day after the Sabres game that he was fine with the penalties the Pens took. I hope he's fine with getting fired after the Pens lose a playoff series by playing undisciplined hockey because that's precisely what will happen if he doesn't put a stop to it.

That is one area where I really miss Therrien because he would NEVER put up with the type of discipline the Pens have been showing against the Flyers.

Remember how we used to always beat the Flyers under Therrien because we'd rarely if ever retaliate to the stupid **** they did? That was because Therrien coached the Pens to play that way. Bylsma has no control over the team and the Flyers just goad us into playing their garbage hockey every single time.
I agree with this to an extent, but the people calling for Bylsma's head now are the same people who were calling for Therrien's head a few years ago. And they'll be the same people calling for any new coach's head a few years after he's brought in.

I get that we're all frustrated about the loss and, certainly, Bylsma has his shortcomings, but not everything is about coaching. Do these professional hockey players really need to be coached not to take dumb penalties? Do the goalies need to be coached not to give up ridiculously soft goals? Do they need to be coached to not pass up wide open looks at the net? We lost this game because our players got suckered into an emotional battle, got terrible goaltending and didn't execute the chances they had.

To be clear, I'm not absolving Bylsma here. I do think he has his shortcomings. But at some point the blame has to come down on the players executing too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
+ Malkin - Really finding his game, especially 5-on-5. Maturity and level-headedness you expect from a leader.

+ Neal - Along the same lines. Very physical, great 5-on-5, and never let the Flyers get in his head.

+ Crosby - The best player in the world understands that he has to keep passing up great scoring chances to feed Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, etc...

+ Tomas Vokoun - a calming presence back there. When things got ugly, he settled down and hung in there.

+ Brook Orpik - Stay at home defeseman stayed at home.

+ Simon Despres - and let that be a lesson to you

+ Vokoun, Orpik, Niskanen - So good at scoring you showed off your skills into your own net.

+ Bylsma - As I was told by boardin (i think that's his name) in the GDT: you can't question coaching. And why would you want to? He presses all the right buttons and has figured out just what to say and do to get his kids to settle down.

+ Officiating - one of the better games I've seen this year.

- Paul Martin - **** you, dude. **** you.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ignore the score. This team still has not learned how to beat the Flyers. You make simple smart plays and force them to defend. That's how the Devils beat them. That's your game plan going into this. If the players aren't listening, then changes need to be made.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

I remember getting really pissed about our lack of defense in 2008 or 2009 and offering Letang or Goligoski + a 1st for Volchenkov. I remember RRP giving me one of these :shakehead on the trade board. At least he was smart and patient unlike some of us Pens fans.

I also offered Goligoski up for way less than James Neal and Matt Niskanen. I actually remember a lot of Pens fans desperate for a winger and offering Goligoski for Enver Lisin. Thank God none of that stuff happened. :laugh:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm taking my frustrations out on Vokoun. Under no circumstance should a puck shot from behind you go in. especially with 90 seconds left. It's always a team effort but come on dude.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
How many more yrs are we going to need a respected vet? When it is time for them to grow up?

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Given his track record against Philly, shouldn't we be able to trade Tyler Kennedy for Simmonds + a 1st-round pick?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I agree with this to an extent, but the people calling for Bylsma's head now are the same people who were calling for Therrien's head a few years ago. And they be the same people calling for any new coach's head a few years after he's brought in.

I get that we're all frustrated about the loss and, certainly, Bylsma has his shortcomings, but not everything is about coaching. Do these professional hockey players really need to be coached not to take dumb penalties? Do they need to be coached not to give up ridiculously soft goals? Do they need to be coached to not pass up wide open looks at the net? We lost this game because our players got suckered into an emotional battle, got terrible goaltending and didn't execute the chances they had.

To be clear, I'm not absolving Bylsma here. I do think he has his shortcomings. But at some point the blame has to come down on the players executing too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Therrien > Bylsma, but I do think Therrien was undoubtedly a better disciplinarian and it's no coincidence that we dominated the Flyers under Therrien but can't beat them under Bylsma. The two teams aren't that different than they used to be.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
After calming down a bit... I am a firm believer that if we played this game 10 times, we would win 8 of them. A lot of Flyers goals were just bizarre. Pens scored solid goals, and could have had 4 more. The flyers buried most of their chances PLUS about 3 that shouldn't have gone in, and wouldn't have gone in on most nights.

What I think is masking this is the shenanigans that happened throughout the game. If Vokoun makes those routine saves we might be talking about how the Pens have improved to be able to deal with all that crap, and now win.

Still pissed though.

Fire Shero*

- Tomas Vokoun, WTF was that? Why was he not pulled? He had no confidence in the 3rd period

-Malkin: ENOUGH with the horrible penalties. Seriously, you lack any discipline. You have been an average player at even strength. Again, your points came on the PP

-Orpik played horrible. He is a shell of his former self, I want him traded this year before he loses all value. He used to be my favorite Pens player, no more. He's done.

-Sid, Dupuis and Kunitz -3, but that line looked good in the first period, kind of looked less effective in the 2nd and 3rd period

-Bylsma - you start your backup goalie against philly so that your starter can be rested to play Florida???????????? Are you effing kidding me. Yes, those Florida Panthers who are only 1 point out of last place

+ The pens were persistent, they never really gave up despite being down big in the 3rd

Beau Bennett is not working out, you see a nice play every now and then, but he should not be playing in the NHL this year. Shero has exhausted all in-house options. Lets not ruin his confidence, send him back to the AHL for the remainder of the year to gain some confidence.

Shero you've throw enough **** at the wall, nothing has stuck.

- If we play Philly, Boston or New Jersey in the playoffs, we're in serious trouble.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Its nice to see that so many fans are looking at Bylsma's coaching abilities with suspicion. But keep in mind that sometimes management & ownership in pro sports become stubborn and won't make a change even if it is the right call. That's why fan outrage and media critique become important because they speed along the necessary changes.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Therrien > Bylsma, but I do think Therrien was undoubtedly a better disciplinarian and it's no coincidence that we dominated the Flyers under Therrien but can't beat them under Bylsma. The two teams aren't that different than they used to be.

11-4-1, Leads the East. MT's Habs. Alot less talent, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad