Please vote for the Top Ten Twentieth Century Players

Please vote for the Top Ten Twentieth Century Players

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I've only been watching since 69 but I think this a decent list. I voted for Pele', Di Ste'fano, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Best, Baggio, Garrincha, Zico, and Platini.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
6 are (IMO) non negotiable:

Pele, Maradona, Di Stefano, Cruyff, R9, Beckenbauer.

The remainder all have cases, but I felt pretty comfortable going with Platini, Yashin, Puskas, and van Basten.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I didn't watch football for the vast majority of the 20th Century, so I don't really feel comfortable. From what I've heard, I would include Di Stefano, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, and Yashin

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
6 are (IMO) non negotiable:

Pele, Maradona, Di Stefano, Cruyff, R9, Beckenbauer.

The remainder all have cases, but I felt pretty comfortable going with Platini, Yashin, Puskas, and van Basten.

We ended up with same 10. Though I would have voted for the short-fat-Müller over Yashin or van Basten, had Gerd been an option.

I only watched him on tapes, but that nose for goal was something I still haven't seen from another player...I'm convinced that if he had had Haaland's body he would have averaged a hattrick per game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How did I know this reply was incoming :laugh:
Well probably because some people continue to underrate Platini who not only was the best european player of the 80s, but also managed a performance at Euro 84 that was so legendary it will never be matched.
Single most dominant tournament on par with Maradona's 86 WC.
Only IMO in a more difficult tournament

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am surprised and not so surprised with Zico low vote count.

Surprised because he was by far above every other Brazilian players during his time and probably on par with Zidane talent wise. Not so surprised because it was during the least successful Brazilian team era.

anyway my ranking:

1. Pelé
2. Maradona
3. Di Stéfano
4. Johan Cruyff
5. Ronaldo
6. Zidane
7. Platini
8. Zico
9. Eusébio
10. Puskas

to be honest though, I have only watched clips on most of these players and anybody who had a chance to properly watch all of them is probably dead.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Romario was better than Ronaldo. I'm going to die on this hill.

Jimmy Greaves is more deserving to be on the list over Charlton and Best. Not that I think he's top 10, but he's not far off.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I am surprised and not so surprised with Zico low vote count.

Surprised because he was by far above every other Brazilian players during his time and probably on par with Zidane talent wise. Not so surprised because it was during the least successful Brazilian team era.

anyway my ranking:

1. Pelé
2. Maradona
3. Di Stéfano
4. Johan Cruyff
5. Ronaldo
6. Zidane
7. Platini
8. Zico
9. Eusébio
10. Puskas

to be honest though, I have only watched clips on most of these players and anybody who had a chance to properly watch all of them is probably dead.
Zico is very underrated in Europe. His lack of NT success hurts his status here. But he's a legend and a top player.

Zidane isn't top 10 IMO. Yes I say that as a Frenchman.
He's supremely talented and came up big in some finals and the 2000 EC 2006 WC.
That's a lot.
But he was never clearly the top player in the world any year.

I feel the same way about Maradona except I rank him top 10. But not top 2.

Romario was better than Ronaldo. I'm going to die on this hill.
Nah.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd rather see Rummenigge and Keegan on the list over Rivaldo and Baggio.

Rummenigge is another I would rather have seen listed than Matthäus. I’m probably biased by being born in the middle of his prime, so I grew up with Lodar as this staple of German football who had been around forever and past his prime for just as long…and his commentating days haven’t helped his reputation, as he says some really dumb things & was very slowly to recognize that Pep had changed the game.

…but even having gone back to rewatch matches from his peak, it feels weird to me that he’s ranked above KHR, Gerd, and Netzer so often. I get rewarding longevity, and Matthäus was a difference maker in his own right…but I dunno that he was ever as game-decidingly spectacular as those 3 or Beckenbauer.

Was it different watching his career in real time? Am I only disappointed by his prime because I know he’s a legend and am looking for him to blow my mind like Netzer, Beckenbauer, and Gerd?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Zico is very underrated in Europe. His lack of NT success hurts his status here. But he's a legend and a top player.

Zidane isn't top 10 IMO. Yes I say that as a Frenchman.
He's supremely talented and came up big in some finals and the 2000 EC 2006 WC.
That's a lot.
But he was never clearly the top player in the world any year.

I feel the same way about Maradona except I rank him top 10. But not top 2.

Nah.

Zico was my first favourite international player. Since been surpassed by few others. Most notably by my all time favourite player Marco van Basten.

Haven't voted yet because I can't decide whether I should include all my favourite players over some players who might be considered better by most others. I might also leave some blank spots for players I think who should be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad