Crosby
Roy
Jagr
Bourque/Ovechkin/Hasek. Bit unsure in what order these 3 fall

Lidstrom would be #7

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I went with the top 5, and Bourque. I was really torn for the 5 and 6 spot between three guys - Lidstrom, Bourque, and Roy. I chose both of the defensemen, and I'm not going to specify which order, because I can't decide between those 2 and I don't have to, ha ha. That leaves Roy on the outside looking in, which I'm not especially comfortable with, but I can't justify him above any of the other six either.

Reactions: Bileur

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
F - Gretzky
F - Howe
D - Orr
F - Lemieux

D - Lidstrom
G - Hasek

D - Bourque
G - Roy
F - Ovechkin
F - Jagr

F - Crosby
D - Harvey

Bold are my votes. Beliveau would have been considered right at that Ov, Jagr, Crosby cluster. I like to do sets of 3F, 2D, 1G to keep things balanced.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That’s who I took, but if you look at jagr’s playoff stats, they are underwelming compared to his regular season. I think I’d have Roy over Jagr for that reason.

That’s only really due to games played outside of his prime though. His team went to the finals at 18 and 40 which is about a quarter of his playoff games. From 19-35 he had 168 points in 145 games, which is the 3rd most points in that time frame after Sakic and Forsberg, and the only guys with a better points per game with over 50 games during that time were Lemieux and Gretzky

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Best as in what? Ability? Career? Peak?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
That’s only really due to games played outside of his prime though. His team went to the finals at 18 and 40 which is about a quarter of his playoff games. From 19-35 he had 168 points in 145 games, which is the 3rd most points in that time frame after Sakic and Forsberg, and the only guys with a better points per game with over 50 games during that time were Lemieux and Gretzky
In fairness you could argue that's still underwhelming (for him anyways), given that he routinely outproduced Sakic and Forsberg by fairly large margins in the regular season. The gap closed significantly in the postseason to the point you could say there is none at all and actually in favour of Sakic and Forsberg given their two way play.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Correct.

He's still the only one to ever pull it off.....and I doubt that'll change any time soon.
with scoring going up again, I think Bedard may have a shot.

Depends how much higher scoring will get, and should go up again with 2 more expansion teams on the way

scoring currently at 6.2 GPG, Bossy's era 7-8 GPG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In fairness you could argue that's still underwhelming (for him anyways), given that he routinely outproduced Sakic and Forsberg by fairly large margins in the regular season. The gap closed significantly in the postseason to the point you could say there is none at all and actually in favour of Sakic and Forsberg given their two way play.

I don't know that I would even say that.

Jagr's peak is 1994-1995 to 2000-2001.

Regular season:

Jagr 1.54 ppg
Lindros 1.35 ppg
Sakic 1.30 ppg
Forsberg 1.24 ppg

Playoffs

Jagr 1.23 ppg
Lindros 1.14 ppg
Sakic 1.14 ppg
Forsberg 1.14 ppf

Certainly the gap closed a bit maybe, but Jagr is still clear #1 (I left out Lemieux fyi).

And in terms of being clutch in the playoffs - I know Forsberg and certainly Sakic are great in that regards, but are they even better then Jagr? Jagr is the all-time leader in playoff points that either tie a game/give the lead in 3rd period/OT - 39 points.

Jagr often gets a bad reputation for playoffs, but he was actually a terrific playoff performer.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
with scoring going up again, I think Bedard may have a shot.

Depends how much higher scoring will get, and should go up again with 2 more expansion teams on the way

scoring currently at 6.2 GPG, Bossy's era 7-8 GPG

Ten years from now you may be right about Bedard......wouldn't mind seeing him take a huge step forward next season.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Ten years from now you may be right about Bedard......wouldn't mind seeing him take a huge step forward next season.
really depends how well the Blackhawks can build the team, obviously literally starting from the bottom. This summer's pick should be a good one.

Bossy was quite blessed having a Trottier and Potvin from the get go, and for the rest of his career (10 seaosns). Not sure if Bedard will be as fortunate, but he definintely has the tools to score 50-60+ regularly.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't know that I would even say that.

Jagr's peak is 1994-1995 to 2000-2001.

Regular season:

Jagr 1.54 ppg
Lindros 1.35 ppg
Sakic 1.30 ppg
Forsberg 1.24 ppg

Playoffs

Jagr 1.23 ppg
Lindros 1.14 ppg
Sakic 1.14 ppg
Forsberg 1.14 ppf

Certainly the gap closed a bit maybe, but Jagr is still clear #1 (I left out Lemieux fyi).

And in terms of being clutch in the playoffs - I know Forsberg and certainly Sakic are great in that regards, but are they even better then Jagr? Jagr is the all-time leader in playoff points that either tie a game/give the lead in 3rd period/OT - 39 points.

Jagr often gets a bad reputation for playoffs, but he was actually a terrific playoff performer.
I mean, even looking at the stats you posted, Jagr's point per game gap over his peers dropped quite a bit.

To put it into perspective. His point per game rate over the course of a full season was 16 points higher than Lindros, 20 points higher than Sakic, and 25 points higher than Forsberg.

The gap over all those players using their playoff PPG drops to "just" 8. Then when you consider less games played in the postseason, yeah..

"Gap closed a bit" is underselling it.

It closed quite a lot.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Surprised (but not surprised) Esposito doesn't get more love.

Led the league in goals 6 straight years, in points 4 straight years (and 5 out of 6), four 60+ goal seasons, among players with 1000+ games he's 4th in PPG and 5th in GPG.

Also strange, all that love for Ovi (deserved) primarily for being an elite goal scorer but almost none for Bossy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad