Music: Please post your 10 most overrated albums

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Please post your 10 most overrated albums. I've seen The Queen is Dead called the goat and all these rated top 20 all time.

1. The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead

2. The Strokes, Is This It

3. Pulp, Different Class

4. The Stone Roses, 'The Stone Roses'

5. Oasis, 'Definitely Maybe'

6. Arcade Fire, Funeral

7. PJ Harvey, 'Let England Shake'

8. Joy Division, 'Closer'

9. My Bloody Valentine, 'Loveless'

10. (tie) Arctic Monkeys, 'Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not'

10. (tie) Radiohead, 'OK Computer'

Last edited:
Reactions: frisco

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I don't have ten but The Wall by Pink Floyd bored me as an album.

Agreed. I struggle to get through that album - I haven't listened to it start to finish in many, many years. Despite it being one of the most famous classic rock albums of all-time, I'd maybe rate it 6th best in Pink Floyd's catalogue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I disagree with Is This It, Closer and Loveless. The latter two are masterpieces and the former is a phenomenal groove record with underrated lyrics, although Last Nite is a terrible song. London Calling (and The Clash in general) springs to mind for me. The Chronic isn't a bad call either. Some Rolling Stones records, can't remember which. Just about any pop artist record who gets serious critical acclaim, including Thriller. Lemonade from Beyonce. Just a terrible artist all-around. Agreed with The Smiths not being all that and the Arctic Monkeys as well. Pretty much any band influenced by The Strokes ended up being terrible and even The Strokes only have two great albums which are their first two although they've knocked out the odd great song since.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
how is Closer overrated? if anything unknown pleasures is overrated (neither are IMO, both are masterpieces).

as much as I love albums like the Stone Roses, Loveless, Is This It, and Definitely Maybe, I get why they’re on your list. Closer I just don’t get. Not really an album people who aren’t massive Joy Division fans talk about.

member 51464

OP, why not give some context for your viewpoint? That could be a lot more engaging! There has to be a why :)

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm sure I could find more if I thought about it more but here are the first 10 that came to mind (or saw in this thread already):

1. Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version
This is the only drone album I've really listened to and found it boring even in the realm of ambient music. Might return to this one though.

2. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
There are really only 5 or 6 great tracks on this album, everything else is filler. The Chronic was mentioned earlier, that pretty much suffers the same problem as Straight Outta Compton but I think this album is more overrated.

3. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
I used to like this album a lot more when I first heard it, now I think it's only okay. Definitely not one of the best albums of the 90's like it is now being touted as.

4. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Not the masterpiece that a lot of people claim it is. The album starts to fall off after Devil in a New Dress imo. There are some great songs here though.

5. The Doors - The Doors
It's an pretty good rock album. Why it is often rated in the top albums of all time I don't know. Would rather listen to a lot of other psychedelic rock bands from the late 60's (Beatles, United States of America, Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Zombies, even Disraeli Gears is better).

6. Radiohead - The Bends
Almost as bad as Pablo Honey.

7. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
A lot of it just sounds like average pop but with reverb. Both the title track and closer are pretty excellent though. I don't find the songwriting to be very interesting outside of those songs.

8. Frank Ocean - Blonde
There are some great moments on here ('Pretty Sweet') but I just don't like the vocals for the most part.

9. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Pretty much the same as The Doors. An average album with a huge reputation for some reason.

10. Arcade Fire - Funeral
There are some nicely arranged strings and some alright songs on here but this is not the life changing emotional experience that some would have you believe. The lyrics are not very good and the 'epic' 'anthemic' sound that comes up a lot on this album is grating.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Chronic is a classic.

I only listen to dope ****.

If you're a baseball fan think of a hitter like Dave Kingman or John Kruk for The Chronic. It's either a homerun or a strikeout. The best is the best, the interludes and non singles are so bad they kill the pace and momentum. Very important album though, I will not argue that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Arcade Fire I could just never get into. Sounded like a boring version of Modest Mouse without any of the explosiveness or cool instrumnetation trying to be purposely 80s but hipster too.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm sure I could find more if I thought about it more but here are the first 10 that came to mind (or saw in this thread already):

1. Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version
This is the only drone album I've really listened to and found it boring even in the realm of ambient music. Might return to this one though.

2. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
There are really only 5 or 6 great tracks on this album, everything else is filler. The Chronic was mentioned earlier, that pretty much suffers the same problem as Straight Outta Compton but I think this album is more overrated.

I used to like this album a lot more when I first heard it, now I think it's only okay. Definitely not one of the best albums of the 90's like it is now being touted as.

4. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Not the masterpiece that a lot of people claim it is. The album starts to fall off after Devil in a New Dress imo. There are some great songs here though.

5. The Doors - The Doors
It's an pretty good rock album. Why it is often rated in the top albums of all time I don't know. Would rather listen to a lot of other psychedelic rock bands from the late 60's (Beatles, United States of America, Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Zombies, even Disraeli Gears is better).

6. Radiohead - The Bends
Almost as bad as Pablo Honey.

7. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
A lot of it just sounds like average pop but with reverb. Both the title track and closer are pretty excellent though. I don't find the songwriting to be very interesting outside of those songs.

8. Frank Ocean - Blonde
There are some great moments on here ('Pretty Sweet') but I just don't like the vocals for the most part.

9. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Pretty much the same as The Doors. An average album with a huge reputation for some reason.

10. Arcade Fire - Funeral
There are some nicely arranged strings and some alright songs on here but this is not the life changing emotional experience that some would have you believe. The lyrics are not very good and the 'epic' 'anthemic' sound that comes up a lot on this album is grating.

Neutral Milk Hotel is terrible and a great pick but I love Cocteau Twins, including Heaven or Las Vegas. Cherry-Coloured Funk and Iceblink Luck are probably my favorite tracks from the album. Elizabeth Fraser is probably my favorite female vocalists. Valerie Cooper and Grace Slick complete the top-3.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Neutral Milk Hotel is terrible and a great pick but I love Cocteau Twins, including Heaven or Las Vegas. Cherry-Coloured Funk and Iceblink Luck are probably my favorite tracks from the album.

“Terrible” seems a bit over the top, no? I guess that’s the spirit of the thread, though.

Cocteau Twins are generally great, I agree.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
“Terrible” seems a bit over the top, no? I guess that’s the spirit of the thread, though.

Cocteau Twins are generally great, I agree.

Oh, I really dislike In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. From the wailing voice to the puffed-up lyrics, just a bad experience. It doesn't reach the heights that it sounds so certain to have reached. Eclectic doesn't mean good - IMO, the entire thing sounds like a bunch of random sounds thrown into a blender supported by a folksy base.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
OP, why not give some context for your viewpoint? That could be a lot more engaging! There has to be a why :)
All of these albums have been rated top 20 all time by some critics. The top 20 all time should be by artists such as The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, The Stones, The Clash, Elvis Presley, Miles Davis, The Velvet Underground, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Bruce Springsteen, Van Morrison, and Chuck Berry. Is one of them as good as Nevermind? I don't think so. The founding fathers and I find these truths to be self evident. ;)

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
In no order:

Joshua Tree U2-Good, solid album but not greatness.
The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle Bruce Springsteen Good to great, also. But my least favorite Springsteen.
Jagged Little Pill-Alanis Morrisette
Abbey Road-Beatles
Never Mind The Bollocks-Sex Pistols
Come On Over-Shania Twain
461 Ocean Boulevard-Eric Clapton
Appetite For Destruction-Guns 'n' Roses
Janet-Janet Jackson
Sting-Dream Of The Blue Turtles

The first two I like, just not as much as most people. The last eight I truly dislike.

My Best-Carey

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If you're a baseball fan think of a hitter like Dave Kingman or John Kruk for The Chronic. It's either a homerun or a strikeout. The best is the best, the interludes and non singles are so bad they kill the pace and momentum. Very important album though, I will not argue that.
How is it a very important record with only 3 good songs? When the album came out it had only positive reviews. It was 1 of maybe 5-6 albums which received 5 mics in the Source magazine at the time. The album was a walk off grand slam in the world series. Snoop followed up with an equally awesome album. The skits were fun and the production level are what makes the album complete representation of the new school West Coast sound.

Edit: it was rated 4.5 mics at first then later change to 5 mics.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How is it a very important record with only 3 good songs? When the album came out it had only positive reviews. It was 1 of maybe 5-6 albums which received 5 mics in the Source magazine at the time. The album was a walk off grand slam in the world series. Snoop followed up with an equally awesome album. The skits were fun and the production level are what makes the album complete representation of the new school West Coast sound.

I think Snoop's album was better.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In no order:

Joshua Tree U2-Good, solid album but not greatness.

Jagged Little Pill-Alanis Morrisette

I've had this joke about Alanis Morrisette for over 20 years now and maybe 5 people get it but I'll share. She owes her career to Flea from RHCP deciding to do a Jaco Pastorious impersonation one afternoon. (He did the bass for You Oughtta Know). I kid and she would have probably been fine but that song at that time was huge and began her ascension.

U2 is ok but something about them has always bothered me. Like not enough aggression. I'm not saying you have to be loud and play with a zillion distortion pedals, but listen to Donovan, Van Morrison, Chaka Khan, Harry Nillson..none of those are hard rock artists but they have more intensity in their music than U2.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I actually think it's underrated now, but that's because its fame is mainly due to the product of this stupid meme generation. That album cover was memed to death, which has led to so many more people discovering it and making memes out of it. It's now literally just a meme album to so many people, which is really underselling it IMO.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think Snoop's album was better.
Seeing as Dr. Dre is not really as much a rapper as he is a producer i wouldn't argue with that. Both albums solidified the west coast sound in the 90's. Everyone featured on both of those albums did so as well. The D.O.C. is mostly responsible for Dre's rhymes in what is probably the first label compilation record.

I think Eazy E is so over rated though.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
U2 is ok but something about them has always bothered me. Like not enough aggression.
U2 in my mind were at their best captured live at Red Rocks circa 1984 (?) with I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc., Also, I thought the best song from the Joshua Tree recordings was Silver And Gold which didn't make the cut. Anyway, I quite like JT but you're right it doesn't have the energy that it might have had and not really one of the top 40 of all-time or whatever.

I was driving with a friend to Lake Tahoe (from Saskatoon--what a drive) but we listened to the Joshua Tree twice through and it was good and everything Then we put on Morrison Hotel by The Doors and I just couldn't help but notice how much better, angrier, energetic with better songs and performances Morrison Hotel had in contrast to Joshua Tree. Not that anyone has ever directly compared the two albums (why would they?) but it just seemed so obvious listening to them back-to-back that The Doors just had something that U2 lacked. It is all personal preference and all but at that moment it kind of hit me how much better Jim Morrison and company were.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad